Author Topic: Chute Deployment Techniques  (Read 4686 times)

Offline jnespappa

• New folks
Chute Deployment Techniques
« on: February 23, 2006, 11:15:26 AM »
I am building a streamliner (SG) motorcycle and the rules call for the chute to automatically deploy if the bike tips over more than 50 degrees.

What sort of systems/methods are people using to meet this requirement?

Thanks,
-Mark
New guy needs lots of guidance.

Offline JimW

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 12:10:32 PM »
Most popular seems to be a mercury switch mounted at the requsite angle.  One for each side.  I don't think anyone has addressed vibration issues that might cause the mercury to be agitated into small globules that would not complete the contact circuit.  G loading could also have an effect of keeping the mercury away from the contacts.

Thanks,
Jim.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
TRY
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 03:15:06 PM »
You might try a tip over switch that shuts off the fuel pump on a number of current bikes. An excessive side G load on a bike will make you want to use your chutes but you might be a little distracted and want the help.
The cars could learn from that feature on a bike.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 03:41:37 PM »
All my bike liner chute releases are electric over air on a bimba air ram. One side of the electric goes to the 12v pos and the neg lead goes to a button on my handlebars. At about the bulkhead, the neg lead ?t?s? up to my tip over switch mounted above the roll center on the bulkhead. My tip over switch is an elaborate exotic electric contact switch? ok it?s a set of Chevrolet ignition points. I made a eccentric cam that is attached to a fishing lure lead weight kinda pendulum thingy that keeps the contacts open, and when the bike leans over more than 45dg the pendulum swings, the contacts close completing the circuit, and the chute pops out the back. Worked perfect on my 217mph crash. Whatever you design they will have you demonstrate its function at tech.
Kent

Ps? oh yeh definitely have it kill the fuel pump AND motor. You can do that easy with a bosch relay

Offline ack

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 05:07:16 PM »
This is what we use

http://www.riekerinc.com/E-Inclinometers/SlopeAlert.htm

We use a 2 axis.  45 degree for side to side and 10 degree for nose up.

They are relatively cheap about $80.00 for single axis and $180.00 for two axis.

All solid state and pretty much bullet proof. we tried all sorts of vibration and shock levels and they won't go off unless you exceed the programed angles.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
What better ?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 05:18:14 PM »
What better do you want for your next present to yourself or from somebody that cares ?
Car guys, are you learning ? :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline ack

Re: What better ?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 07:07:07 PM »
Quote from: JackD
What better do you want for your next present to yourself or from somebody that cares ?
Car guys, are you learning ? :wink:

Right Jack I believe this one inexpensive safety feature would save lives if incorporated into the rules for cars that are require to run parachutes I have discussed it with Bob Stroud several times and he agrees with me that there is no reason you wouldn't want to use automatic deployment. In a flat spin these switches won't activate.

Offline jnespappa

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 12:00:58 PM »
NIIICE.  Thanks guys.
New guy needs lots of guidance.