Author Topic: Live video (and audio, too) on Landracing.com  (Read 7705 times)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
Re: Live video (and audio, too) on Landracing.com
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
Gogs, I've got a classic happy snap of Wayno to post for you when the disc comes back from the chemist.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 11:29:15 AM »
Gentlemen (I'd say ladies and gentlemen but as memory serves, it's only been boys that have offered comments.  I apologise if I miss a female commentator):

Keep at it.  You're doing what I hoped you'd do -- discuss the pros and cons, the merits and hassles, the needs and don't needs.  I've got a good set of pre-conceived thoughts -- but I want you to offer as many of yours as possible.  Tell me what you'd like, what you'd settle for, what you think is fluff and what's gotta-have.

We get on the SLC-Chicago-Marquette flight in a little while.  I won't have much chance to watch the goings-on, so have at it some more.

TTFN.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »
Bump.

Any more ideas floating around out there in the community? 

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »
First off- I am not an AV guy by nature, but I am a bit of a nerd and by extension I know a little about the stuff. A fairly simple way to set it up would be a webcam or video camera linked to a tablet PC with a cellular internet connection (assuming you can get cell signal capable of good data linking on the salt, I don't know about that). A tablet is small enough to carry in equipment holster while someone is managing the camera. It also give the camera person the capability to interact with watchers via chat. Another idea would be to have a camera person on the start line with a couple of inexpensive HD video camera and quick mounting setup to offer to racers that do not have an existing setup a way to capture their run. It only takes a few minutes to set a video to a usable length and throw in the details of who, when, and what speed. After that is done they can be uploaded to youtube or streetfire without much issue.

As for having the manpower to do it- I hope to make it out to the salt in 2012 to watch things.  If I actually make it out there I would be more than willing to manage a camera and a PC to keep things functional. I also already have a pretty universal setup to mount my video camera to pretty much any roll cage.

Does the SCTA broadcast information like the current car on the line, driver, and speed via CB radio? If so that can also be integrated into any audio feed fairly easily.

Just my .02.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 04:59:47 PM »
I'm really happy with what we have. I was a bit pessimistic about audio and that's turned out to be awesome so I'll just keep my pessimism to myself and let all you super talented geeks go to it and continue to make the impossible look pretty simple. Keep up the amazing work.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: (I usually only award three!)

Pete

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »
Good point, those.  Having a chance to edit videos to upload at the end of the racing day would produce a good product.

Yes, in theory the sanctioning bodies radio relays  as much info as possible about the next vehicle, speeds through the lights and out the back door.

Peter Jack, I was pretty disgusted with our audio equipment two years ago, myself.  With making a temporary studio out of Slim's trailer, AND having upgraded a few systems.  We are working toward perfect.  It's just a matter of getting everything to work well together, both me and the equipment, so that anyone can step in and do it with a short tutorial.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
I understand the draw for video....never get to see anything race except for the Shootout.  But, let's stay just a little realistic here.

Let's get all the bugs out of the audio system and allow this baby to learn to walk before trying to raise a new infant!!!  Jon and Max are doing an unbelievable job with the audio, but it is still in its infancy, we should allow them the time to become experts at this new endeavor before leaping to the next.

Do I wanna SEE what's going on?    Dammbetcha!! So give Slim and Moxnix a little breathing room....we can all attack them over the winter when it gets slow and boring!!!   :roll:   :-D

Lynda

There Jon, a comment for a...uhhh....hmmmm... lady????...........female-type-person!!!!

Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Tman

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »
This is a part of the problem with the board as well. Too many sub forums! I just found this discussion while the Bonneville section seems to be the de facto GENERAL section that gets most of the action. Gotta run, will add my TV and vid input tonight when I get home :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 12:42:39 AM »
Live action video of the salt is like watching Martha Stewart prune roses. It would be really easy to stockpile some PROFILES and INTERVIEWS of racers and legends to link during the event coverage. These could be done ahead of time, with Skype. Minimal effort. Some of the behind the scenes thrashing between attempts would be fun. There are so many folks interested in this that the manpower, if asked for would be ther in an instant. Our newest team member in a journo and would jump at that chance to cover things, get in touch with me John after teh season. Trent