Author Topic: Live video (and audio, too) on Landracing.com  (Read 7709 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Live video (and audio, too) on Landracing.com
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:57:10 PM »
I told you I'd do this -- give you a place to talk about what you'll want and what you'll accept in the way of improving the live audio we've begun to offer, and to providing the live video you'd like to see from land speed racing events.

Tell me - and all of us - what you think would be required to make you a happy viewer, and what it'll take to keep you a happy listener.

Discuss the merits, chew the fat about the difficulties you think we'll face and you'll accept.  This isn't going to be easy - but I'll sure as heck try to offer it if you all come to some agreements.

Have at it, ladies and gentlemen.  We'll all be watching this for a while. :wink:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Live video (and audio, too) on Landracing.com
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 12:20:40 AM »
Hey, Slim.

I'll kick it off -

Regarding video - that's a tough nut, for a couple of reasons.

First off, where would you put the camera?  Or would you actually have more than one?  Then you're talking placement, cabling, a producer/director, probably at least one camera operator with a couple of fixed postion cameras.  It gets really complex, really quick.

You could go with PIP - set up 4 cameras, split the screen like they do in a surveillance camera system in a convenience store - still kind of static, but doable, and less labor intensive.  They do make surveillance cameras with low output radio transmitters, which would eliminate the cabling, but they suck a lot of power, and are range limited. 

Personally, I'd stick with just the audio.  It doesn't take a lot of manpower, it's pre-produced - you're simply streaming an existing program with the addition of ambient mics.  You and Moxnix have proved that it can be set with just an occasional check of the feed.

I'm sure I'll have a few other thoughts - great job these last few weeks.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 12:28:58 AM »
We have had audio for several events and already are asking for a live video feed.

Hell, why not HD using ESPN camera men?

Give us free hot dogs and we will ask for sirloin steak.

Let us listen for a while before we expect video.

Is it possible to transmit the smell of nitro? Now that's what I want.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:44:54 AM »

Is it possible to transmit the smell of nitro? Now that's what I want.

FREUD

They're still working on smellevision.  :-D

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »
I think streaming video of the course at the tower would be the simplest and easiest to manage. It is a fixed position and easy to mount cameras on. The starting line is too big to cover by putting a tripod somewhere pointing at the starting line. You really need a camera man for that area.

The best thing for the tower position is that you could have one camera pointing down course, and one pointing up course to catch the vehicles as they pass.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »
SpeedWeek -- which starting line, which course?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »
Moved this from the other thread before deleting it there.  After a long day of  counting corn stalks across Nebraska, I wasn't even sure where I was and zero dark thirty.  Perhaps Slim will be kind enough to remove it over there.

Well, I have way too many opinions and not enough experience with this, yet.  Broadcasting the audio at Speedweek, World of Speed and World Finals has the benefit of the live radio broadcasts in conjunction with the organizers' programs, with a feed available from a regular radio.  Having watched video crews from Richard Lecky, ESPN and one other the name of which I can't remember right now, they have multiple camera people and directors, producers, etc.  At the end of the day they hole up in their motorhomes and thrash through the day's take for an hour or two before leaving the salt.  So, involking the KISS Principle . . . . first I'll say that I like the audio and the thread running on the forum, complete with photos uploaded when available.  That's a package that serves those who can run the audio on their computer and those limited to just checking in on the thread.

On the other hand, a single camera video feed overlooking the starting line can pinch the organizer's radio trailer audio, like at WoS, without too much trouble.  The weak link always seems to be the computer used to run the webcast.  Some laptops just don't like running 12-13 hours a day, or maybe I just bring Slim my second rate rebuilt units and they are slightly less reliable than more spendy fresh computers.  

We spoke of the split screen options, but watching the pros cover both ends of the course, the measured mile, the pits, the tower, etc., it takes people.  I kind of like being in one place or on the move in the vehicle while audio runs, but, then again, that means one cannot wander through the pits and chat with friends all day or all week.  Every camera for a split screen would need a volunteer connected to it with a short leash all day.  

When I get back to St. Loo, I'll look at camera options and audio feeds.  Lecky's crew had a rented lense that costs $120K to buy, and while it had dandy telescopic utility for the long shots, it's a lot of responsibility, let alone $$ to rent.  

A single camera from the start line would be easiest at Speedweek, WoS & WF.  At Shootout, vehicles start from a variety of places, in the pits, at the 0, at the 1/2, or the 1 1/2, or the mountain end, depending on driver or rider's decision, a decision that is made and/or changed rather quickly.  The pro crews have people located all over just to grab short shots and be in on all the action all the time.  

The netbook that gave us so much grief dropping the audio last year got an upgrade this season, and ran 13 hours straight one day this year, but wasn't without glitches over the course of two weeks.  I'd brought a laptop with bigger drive and memory, but it was the least reliable of the two.  Doing audio on the laptop gives us an audio mixer to use on the server's site.  The netbook doesn't have enough beans to have that available.  Oh, oh, I'm droning on with boring crap.  
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »
I think the very first thing that needs to be addressed is cost, and how much people are willing to pay for the service.
Maybe it is time for a registration with a real name and yearly dues for those that want to view.

I like following the thread for the event going on and here is why, I can always go back and read what has happened. Call me old fashion but that is what I like. The audio feed did not work for me since I am not at my computer all the time.

I personally think doing video is opening a can of worms that you don't need. You will never make everyone happy. With 4 courses Bonneville is getting way too expansive. Stay with the KISS method as it is easier on you. If someone really wants real world video I suggest they go in person.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »
I suggest they go in person.

Not a real option for us is it?

In the past we would have waited 3 months for Hot Rod to post three pictures and two paragraphs.
The step up to real time dialog was a quantum leap forward.
The addition of the audio feed almost sucks us through the screen to feel like we are standing on the salt listening to the action.

But we are standing on the salt with our eyes closed. Sure, a video feed with interviews would be awesome. But we would take ANYTHING.
A fixed camera at the five mile would be great. A heads up on dialog and audio that someone has left the starting line would allow us to check the video.
If there is down time you could hijack the feed to a second camera in the pits or start line.

Post editing would give you a stunning record that you could sell and make a few bucks.

The video feed gear is not cheap, but can be done within reason. The finish line camera doesn't have to be more than an battery powered internet web camera. This isn't an HD exercise.
Pan/tilt capability would allow you to pan with the run from the operator PC.   

A microwave internet transmitter can cover the distance needed.

If you can stay within cable range in the pits or start line any digital camera video output would work.

Vidblaster Pro is $400 and would give you all of the editing and mixing control that you need.

So there are two aspects. One is the cost of the gear. The other is putting it into a package that takes the least amount of work.

Once you have figured out how much work you want to do, calculate the cost of the gear and then start looking for a sponsor.
If you can't find one then let's get everybody here to chip in. You have how many members?

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 03:49:44 PM »
[quote author=Dean Los Angeles

You have how many
members?

usually there are more guests online than members.

bf
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:52:45 PM by saltwheels262 »
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »
Skip the video.

For the same reason the baseball is better on radio than TV . . .

We all know which direction the runner is headed.

Now if someone were to add prerecorded interviews and augment the feed from the station, that would probably work, and could be done on an ad hoc basis.

But video gear will require constant babysitting.

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 05:26:36 PM »
 :-o  Stick with just the audio.  The open mike in the tower with J. Rice was priceless, and very informative.  I could close my eyes and smell the salt, cars, and feel the weather by description.  Video would be wonderful, but a major endevor.  Imagination provides the smells, and the other nuances of the salt flats.  Having been there the past five years  (didn't make this year!) I can ALMOST be there with the audio!  thanks again SSS, Ray, Moxnix, Rices,Lynda and everybody else involved.  I will not complain,,,,,just enjoy!
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 06:37:42 PM »
Just because some of us are members on this forum doesn't mean we'd want to support a video undertaking which might jeopardize what we have now.

Again -- SpeedWeek, the biggest event -- four courses, four stating lines, four finish lines (actually at least ten if you count going to the 2, 3 or 4 on some of them).  All running at once -- no -- someone editing on the fly -- who?  What did we miss? 

I haven't used the audio -- got other things to do during the day.  But shortly delayed photos along with accurate and storable play-by-play that you can access when you've got time to catch up have kept us informed as never before.

I'm with Tom -- if you can sit around all day and listen (or watch) what's going on, why not just go there and get the smell, too.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »
Begging for video is like a welfare person asking for a no limit credit card.

They don't pay anything anyhow so it's easy to ask.

Never satisfied.

Audio would be the best when we go to night races.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »
...............video?....of what?...a car three miles away going at an indeterminate speed?

Commentary and some photos, that works.

At most a web cam at the start and at the five maybe.

Too much work, too great a risk of an ordinary result.

I'd settle for an atmosphere broadcast...bit of exhaust whiff, some glare, sound of a distant fuel motor arguing with it's keepers, the crunch of salt underfoot, and the sting of a bit of sunburn.....video, I'm sure wouldn't do it justice

The audio is great......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.