Author Topic: Homie Wind Tunnels  (Read 14640 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Homie Wind Tunnels
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 03:59:23 PM »
Tunnel who needs no stinkin tunnel when they have this----lol

Thanks, the tunnel is something we may consider in the future!!

James, here is the first immage---thanks again man!!

Now if we are just smart enough to work Photobucket!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 05:14:48 PM »
I bet some really smart person on this board could come up with a portable wind tunnel built inside an old semi trailer with big glass panels on the sides so it could be brought out to Bonneville and he could make a fortune off of us racers!!!

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 10:27:55 PM »
T-2011 here;  we built a wind tunnel in 2009; it's test section is 12" square and 24" long - overall length is ~ 9 feet; using a home basement fan we draw about 35mph and can test 1:10 scale models of the kind we do (not long streamliners).  PACCAR does not have a windtunnel at their Mt. Vernon Technical Center.

We took advantage of the 20-25mph (no racing) cross wind on Thursday at WOS to plain point our car into the wind and look at aero with a little American flag and lots of tuffs attached to our car.  We took lots of video and it was very educational and revealing of how the air was flowing around our car.

Michael
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 10:54:17 PM »
You know Sparky, sometimes the photobucket pictures disappear or do funny things. If you post them just like you posted the picture of the fan, clicking on that picture results in a nice sized picture that remains with the posting so we can refer back to it in the future.

Just sayin'! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Pete

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 11:02:16 PM »
sparky
dont waste your time with that fan and motor unless your doing scale stuff... we fired up the tunnel last week and again all day today... it has 2 429 fords with 5' carbon fiber blades with both motors running she pulls 50mph, just right for full size motorcycles...
kent

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 12:18:44 AM »
Kent,  Thanks---I got a private email that basacially said the same thing---can move no more wind that a scale model---because of presure waves  :cheers:  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
Kent,
What are the dimensions of your tunnel? Do you do full scale motorcycles in it? Moving floor? How about a picture.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 11:11:21 PM »
Rex, did you notice the silence from 1212 about tunnel specs?

There is one amazingly simple but informational tunnel in So Cal that works really good re: vizualization. But the owner realizes it way too puny for his near 300 mph speed range.

But you will see changes garnered from his tunnel next year!

Waiting to see if they show up on his time slip!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 12:47:32 AM »
bite me IB..... ive been busy racing not trolling forums like you...... rex, 9x9 good for full size mortorcycles and small streamliners

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »
Sparky, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you in August when you came over to visit the 608, I was busy on the other side of the car and wanted to finish whatever I was doing. But,

Dontcha think that sending a volume of air over a section of the car that you are concerned with will help with visualizing  the area? Tuffting or even sticking your hand in the air would help. I think us garage rats
could do without the fancy load cells and computor results. Or you could tether the car with a fish scale and read the results :wink:

Frank
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 09:13:16 AM »
Tuffting I have done to several suprises,  one of the most informing(but costly) things that happened was forgetting to turn on a pump and spewing water all over the inside of the old RATICAL. The water that got out from under the skin joint laps  left some very intresing "TRACKS"
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:37:37 PM by SPARKY »

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 10:26:08 PM »
1212 - does that mean I can't take you to the SCTA banquet?

Seriously, I thought the dual 429 engine deal was a giant leg pull.

I pictured the tunnel structure a half block long!

But, WHILE you were racing - and I was repairing a crashed Fuel Altered, incidentally, I was trollin' the internet for more KNOWLEDGE!

As my old Spanish teacher used to say "Saber es Poder"

(One of yor employees can tranlate, I'm sure).

xoxox

IB
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Ozonkiller

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 01:10:28 AM »
Talked to a guy once who retired from Lockheed Martin or McDonald Douglas or one of those guys...

He told me a story of a wind tunnel they built in house to test small components with out having to tie up their full sized wind tunnel.  They called it "the toy".

He said it would have been perfect to test motorcycles in.

The fan was powered by a 426 hemi!!!

It takes a lot of horse power to move air.

Tom

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 01:17:46 PM »
The full scale wind tunnel at the old LTV plant in Dallas had 33,000 hp! They had to let the power company know when they were going to run as it dipped the line voltage so badly on start up.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 05:53:43 PM »
it takes about 5gal of gas per pull with both motors.... were gonna test Pete Aardema's 'liner next week
kent