Author Topic: Homie Wind Tunnels  (Read 14628 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Homie Wind Tunnels
« on: September 17, 2011, 12:10:29 AM »
We have acquired a 5 hp motor and a Ducted 30" fan from Saltine Jim Price--- we are thinking of building a 4'x6'x30'  wind tunnel--the frt will  taper down to a 40" by 40" at the fan-

-what will we need to do learn  :?

to get this thing to "enlighten us" about the new lakesters aero, which will fit inside of this dimension

I am familiar with tuffs---I have not a clue :-o  on how to get a useful "smoke" wand
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

Re: Homie Wind Tunnels
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 12:30:48 AM »
There was a thread I searched up that mentioned theatrical supply for smoke. It is in the technical section. No further details, I have been reading the entire board, yes, the entire board. What happens when I reach the end?!?!?! :lol:

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:44:22 AM »
Not wind tunnel stuff, but I use dry ice in a big cup with a lid and hose when I flow heads  to visualize the flow patterns. Its rudimentary, but works for a cheapskate like me.  Something similar might work on your tunnel. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Woodstock

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 01:05:50 AM »
Sparky, you need to contact the T-2011 team as they have contacts with the PACCAR test facility in Mt. Vernon, WA.  Someone at the test facility should have some info.  Also, contact the University of Washingtons' department of engineering as they use to have a low speed wind tunnel on campus which we (Kenworth Truck Co) used back in the early 80's to do some testing.  We made quite a few smoke runs in it.  Maybr Ray the Rat can ask the T-2011 team for some contacts for you.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 01:06:52 AM »
Sparky,
You could save lots of time and get aero info that is meaningful if you contact David Wooddruff, Woody, at Design Dreams and have him do some CFD runs on your lakester. Not as much fun but much better info and less time, and probably not as expensive. He does good work and is a "salt" guy. Has done lots of CFD on Tony's rear engine modified roadster. The stuff I have seen has been pretty impressive. Contact at" Design-Dreams@cinci.rr.com

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 10:55:13 AM »
What happens when I reach the end?!?!?!

:-o  Why then you can even be more confused about most subjects and find yourself thinking---when someone asks a question that was covered in the "STUFF" you read---

why were they not intrested enough to search the previous posts--

T-Man---just yesterday someone quoted an old proverb to me:

"A wiseman learns more from a fool in an hour than a fool learns from a wiseman in a day"

now if I could only figure out how he thought I fit into that picture  :-o  :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions---

Rex, I noticed you didnt mentions $$$$$$--- if I dont take my knowlege up some I would not know how to recognoize the insights you mentioned
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 03:08:38 PM »
Trent, there's some pretty good advice here (note the website name): http://www.wwwdotcom.com/

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 03:45:56 PM »
Sparky,
I am sure that part of Woody's service is to assist you to analyze the information he develops doing the CFD. You would learn a lot from that.

How ever you do it pay special attention to the wheel/tire (s) and the structure that connects them to your tank. I think there is a lot to be gained in this area. Using even optimistically small CD values for these appendages quickly shows that they are the major source of aero drag and anything you can do to improve this area will pay big dividends.

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »
Trent, there's some pretty good advice here (note the website name): http://www.wwwdotcom.com/

Mike

Shoot, I am in trouble! I am already outside! :-D

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »
Horsepower Engineering (Doug Robinson) in Pasadena, Ca might be able to suggest ideas on the build  of a "Homie" tunnel.

Probably better to E-mail or send a letter as HPE is a busy business.

Methinks 5 HP is way too weak, Sparkster.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »
I am sure you are probabaly right  :-(

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »
Sparky, build it and bring it to Kansas next summer, we will tuft it up and set it outside, 40 MPH winds are common... or winter, the snow will blow visually and drift in the drag areas  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 11:08:48 AM »
Sparky, build it and bring it to Kansas next summer, we will tuft it up and set it outside, 40 MPH winds are common... or winter, the snow will blow visually and drift in the drag areas  :roll:

Or he can bring it up here, we had 60-80 on the ranch yesterday! :-o

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
Just might have to do that guys  I know I could if I still lived in Amarillo

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 01:33:46 PM »
Sparky, a friend has a wind tunnel here just east of San Diego, full size. PM me if you want contact information. :-)