Author Topic: Reconsider Lexan rule for 200 MPH + cars  (Read 26541 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Reconsider Lexan rule for 200 MPH + cars
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:11:20 AM »
Peter, I don't think that expressing ones frustration with a rule they've clearly tried to comply with is wanting to "go faster but not update the safety end of it".  Troy's busted his hump trying to make this work safely.

I vacillate on this issue, especially when it comes to production based vehicles.  My Lexan is in - it remains unproven.

Troy, I remember taking pictures of your set-up with the window bracing - I really don't know what more you can do to make it work. The Camaro has no frame to attach to.  I also remember posting earlier when this rule was being debated on the forums that blow out could be a problem.  Tabs won't work on your set-up - or mine.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 01:11:57 AM »
Mac, thanks for the update. Some people just don't understand, they want to go faster but not update the safety end of it. Who knows maybe we could go back to sprung seats and rollbars with a jacket and a brain bucket. IMO I still think our little changes don't cost as much as running in a pro series racing circuit. Peter

If your referring to me I'm updated. I can see it doesn't concern a pro-circuit racer like you that some racers will have to park there cars.

No sh..t doesn't cost as much :roll:

JL222

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 01:14:17 AM »
The only person I am scared of is my wife.  :-o Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jl222

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 01:16:51 AM »
Peter, I don't think that expressing ones frustration with a rule they've clearly tried to comply with is wanting to "go faster but not update the safety end of it".  Troy's busted his hump trying to make this work safely.

I vacillate on this issue, especially when it comes to production based vehicles.  My Lexan is in - it remains unproven.

Troy, I remember taking pictures of your set-up with the window bracing - I really don't know what more you can do to make it work. The Camaro has no frame to attach to.  I also remember posting earlier when this rule was being debated on the forums that blow out could be a problem.  Tabs won't work on your set-up - or mine.

MM...Troy is Bvillercr I'm John ....JL222

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 01:28:09 AM »
Mac, thanks for the update. Some people just don't understand, they want to go faster but not update the safety end of it. Who knows maybe we could go back to sprung seats and rollbars with a jacket and a brain bucket. IMO I still think our little changes don't cost as much as running in a pro series racing circuit. Peter

If your referring to me I'm updated. I can see it doesn't concern a pro-circuit racer like you that some racers will have to park there cars.

JL222
So what your saying is that we should rewrite the rule book to let people who can't figure out installing a lexan window play, that's why we're amatures, but they will spend $10,000+ on a new engine to get a record in a different class. By the way, I am far from a PRO racer. I do what I can when I can.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:30:20 AM by MAZDA1807 »
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 01:33:17 AM »
 :oops:

Names, Faces, Handles, Studebakers, Camaros - it's tough keeping 'em all straight.

John, excuse me while I wipe the egg from my face . . .

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jl222

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 01:44:13 AM »

JL222
So what your saying is that we should rewrite the rule book to let people who can't figure out installing a lexan window play, that's why we're amatures, but they will spend $10,000+ on a new engine to get a record in a different class. By the way, I am far from a PRO racer. I do what I can when I can.

What i'm trying to say is some cars have compound curved rear windows that they can't get ...get it.

And there is going to be a bunch of pissed off 200 mph racers when they find out they can't get Lexan for their cars
and even more when they follow some of the advice here and try to make their own.

JL222

Offline Tman

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 02:35:03 AM »
I may be new to this and will stay out of the things I would like to say but if a person cant make a lexan window and comply they may not be in the right venue.......................... :wink:

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 03:28:21 AM »
The rule doesn't just apply to 200+ mph cars.  Next year if you have a frameless window with non laminated glass you need to replace it with plastic.  The hooker is that you also have to replace all of the other non laminated glass in the car if you have frameless door windows.  I don't see the logic in that and nobody including people from the rules committee haven't been able to answer that question.  The non logic in this rule is that if the side window is laminated you can keep the other tempered glass.

So I will need to replace my rear window even though if I had a framed side window I wouldn't.  This is sorta like saying if your side window is red you have to also replace your rear window.

This could get expensive since nobody makes polycarbonate for my car and the rear window has a compound curve.  Since I don't have a large oven I may need to have one built.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
For cars that cannot find/make polycarbonate windows, would it be legal to replace the window with a fiberglass or metal panel of the same shape as the original window?

Compared to making up poly carbonate windows it sounds like it would be a lot easier/cheaper to pull a mold off the original glass window, lay up a thick fiberglass panel with necessary braces etc. Perhaps with small polycarbonate panels to let in some light. The metal smiths could also roll a metal duplicate panel or at least the complex curves and fit slightly curved poly-carbonate panels in the window duplicate.

Its not like you need to see out of the back glass to back the car out of a parking spot?

The rules about form and fit of body panels I would assume should equally apply to window replacements. If you can replace a door or a whole body with a fiberglass replica I would think a window could be replaced with one too.

If you use un-pigmented resin and do not paint it, you would have a white/translucent panel to replace the glass so you could have interior sun illumination. Give it just enough color (pale blue perhaps) to make it easy to find if it blows out on the salt and you are done.

The real challenge here would be proving the duplicate panel is identical in shape and fit to the original glass.

Larry

Offline Tman

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 01:07:13 PM »
For consideration

http://www.cachassisworks.com/c-95-window-install-kits-race.aspx

If those are not beefy enough a heavier duty version could be made.

Offline jl222

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 01:47:08 PM »
For consideration

http://www.cachassisworks.com/c-95-window-install-kits-race.aspx

If those are not beefy enough a heavier duty version could be made.

The compound rear window is the biggest problem.

JL222

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 01:47:25 PM »
I teched a car at Speed Week that had full lexan windows including the small rear quarter windows with a compund curve in them.  I ask where they came from and the vehicle owner told me he made them himself.  He didn't petition to have the rule changed, he didn't launch a campaign against the SCTA, he didn't cry about it on some forum.  He just did it.  And I have a feeling that the other 300+ cars and trucks that come to Speed Week next year will have also just done it whether it means buying or making your own.  

My simple advice to anyone who thinks this is really a problem is don't let lexan windows be the straw that broke your back.  If you've made it this far through all the rule changes and upgrades there's no reason why lexan windows should be a game ender for you.    
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Tman

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
I teched a car at Speed Week that had full lexan windows including the small rear quarter windows with a compund curve in them.  I ask where they came from and the vehicle owner told me he made them himself.  He didn't petition to have the rule changed, he didn't launch a campaign against the SCTA, he didn't cry about it on some forum.  He just did it.  And I have a feeling that the other 300+ cars and trucks that come to Speed Week next year will have also just done it whether it means buying or making your own.  

My simple advice to anyone who thinks this is really a problem is don't let lexan windows be the straw that broke your back.  If you've made it this far through all the rule changes and upgrades there's no reason why lexan windows should be a game ender for you.    

Was that the 240 I was watching you tech?

Offline jl222

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »

The SMALL coumpound curve rear window :roll:

Nathen you think an apposing view, submiting a rule change is a campaige against the SCTA , or crying? we changed all our glass with no protest as over 250 mph doesn't affect many cars and is a fair rule. Oh and nobody noticed our Lexan. :roll:

I wasn't going to say anything and just sit back and let every body else go through our problems but changed my mind to the possibility that the SCTA would take another look at the rule. And I'm not going to summitt a rule change on it.

THIS 200 MPH RULE DOESN'T AFFECT ME.

Nathen your adittude is why more members don't speak up. Masda 1807 are you listening :? Nathen is proving my point.

JL222

P.S.  What is this new sweeper?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:47:17 PM by jl222 »