Author Topic: Reconsider Lexan rule for 200 MPH + cars  (Read 26542 times)

Offline jl222

Reconsider Lexan rule for 200 MPH + cars
« on: September 13, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »

SCTA might take another look at the 200 mph Lexan rule [keep the 250 + rule] as this is going to be a real hardship on certain cars.

Our Camaro was not a problem as several companies make all the molded windows but widows for all cars are not available.

We though we had the flexing out potential problem covered but 3 of our 5 runs had to be shut down early
because the side windows flexed out even after bracing and more Velcro. On one run I still qualified  but had to shut down early in the 3.

We had the Pro-stock style window hooks but they didn't hold at speeds over 230 or so.

The funny cars have large holes in the side windows but not sure widow flexing is why.

Even though moulded Lexan is available for some cars it still has to be custom fit and in our case $1600

JL222

Offline MAZDA1807

Re: Reconsider Lexan rule for 200 MPH + cars
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:51:54 PM »
I do believe that the HonData crews CRX lost a driverside window(right-hand drive) just over 200 or so, but it was tempered glass with the window safety film. Guess what, it still went into a billion little pieces. That's why the rule was made. The film, IMO, doesn't work.
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »
I know you had to devote time to attempting to stabilize those side windows and apparently it didn't accomplish as much as you desired.

It's a case of a rule with good intentions creating other problems.

Hope u can rectify your situation and just run w/o having to watch for the window to blow out.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:13:58 PM »
I know you had to devote time to attempting to stabilize those side windows and apparently it didn't accomplish as much as you desired.

It's a case of a rule with good intentions creating other problems.

Hope u can rectify your situation and just run w/o having to watch for the window to blow out.

FREUD

We got it fixed up to about 280 but then I spun :cry:

JL222

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:20:16 PM »
Have you guys thought of building a channel onto the door like NASCAR guys then using the Hartwell lathes on the side to release the side window to get out in an emergency?  That's what we will be fabricating for the Firebird.  You will  be able to pull on a cord to release both latches from the inside and the channel should keep it from pulling out at speed  Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:37 PM »
I do believe that the HonData crews CRX lost a driverside window(right-hand drive) just over 200 or so, but it was tempered glass with the window safety film. Guess what, it still went into a billion little pieces. That's why the rule was made. The film, IMO, doesn't work.

My concern is some teams not being able to get windows.

JL222

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »
I believe the holes in Funny cars is so they can stick a fire bottle nozzle in without having to open anything. I had thought that If I have a problem with the Lexan windows, I'll use metal, fixed supports. I wouldn't expect side window flex on a Vega. The backlite might need some support.

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Most car manufacturers have kit available through their racing division, but a few will have to either have them made or do it on their own.

Offline jl222

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »
Most car manufacturers have kit available through their racing division, but a few will have to either have them made or do it on their own.

yea, no problem,same thinking as 90% of club reps that voted for rule and dont't have a CLUE of problems or cost involved.
 Oh yea just make your own no problem  :roll:

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »
  Just thought of a way to pick up glass :-D A lawn tractor with bagger cost about $3000 + trailer

Don't have bagger on mine but will test on windows I took out. Maybe put 3 or 4 garbage bags on discharge.

JL222
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:59:18 PM by jl222 »

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 12:48:01 AM »

yea, no problem,same thinking as 90% of club reps that voted for rule and dont't have a CLUE of problems or cost involved.

JL222
I didn't notice anyone stepping up to say no at the meeting, let me guess you didn't make it. Remember it's a volunteer organization. What if the car in front of you on the salt lost a glass window and ALL the help said, I don't feel like picking up glass anymore. Then you run and shred a set of mickeys. Not to mention the guys/ladies on the line sweating it away in the sun waiting. If you have a better solution you should go to the rules meeting and suggest it.

Offline Mac

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 12:49:19 AM »
"I do believe that the Hondata crews CRX lost a driverside window(right-hand drive) just over 200 or so, but it was tempered glass with the window safety film. Guess what, it still went into a billion little pieces. That's why the rule was made. The film, IMO, doesn't work."

The window was replaced prior to the Sept El Mirage meet with Lexan and survived a 200mph+ run, a 176mph spin out and a 190mph slide. The window was made out of a sheet, not a kit. Tabs were welded to the frame and the Lexan was screwed and glued to the frame. Getting it into the enclosed trailer is a bit of a hassle - (the kids will just have to stay skinny) but we are working around it.

The testing proved that even the best safety film (and we even tried the 3M industrial hurricane film) wouldn't keep a window together when dropped. The window flexes and the film breaks away - let alone scraping along the ground. I really wanted the film to work, but had to concede that it just didn't - and the car proved it.

On the bright side - the new glass sweeper proved to be effective.  :-)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:52:16 AM by Mac »

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 12:59:06 AM »
Mac, thanks for the update. Some people just don't understand, they want to go faster but not update the safety end of it. Who knows maybe we could go back to sprung seats and rollbars with a jacket and a brain bucket. IMO I still think our little changes don't cost as much as running in a pro series racing circuit. Peter

Offline jl222

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 01:01:59 AM »

JL222
I didn't notice anyone stepping up to say no at the meeting, let me guess you didn't make it. Remember it's a volunteer organization. What if the car in front of you on the salt lost a glass window and ALL the help said, I don't feel like picking up glass anymore. Then you run and shred a set of mickeys. Not to mention the guys/ladies on the line sweating it away in the sun waiting. If you have a better solution you should go to the rules meeting and suggest it.

I don't live 30 minutes away and there aren't many no men

Hey my Lexan and problems are fixed and if its alright with everyone do it, but there are those that are scared to death to say anything and I am finding out why.

JL222

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 01:09:42 AM »
What's that supposed to mean? Why are they SO scared?