Author Topic: On the scene at World of Speed 2011  (Read 113069 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: On the scene at World of Speed 2011
« Reply #285 on: September 18, 2011, 06:57:45 PM »
I've got to agree with the concensus - a 2 piece mandates a carrier bearing, another set of splines, and the need to balance both driveshafts, and to do it right, both together.

The drive shaft in a Monte isn't so long as to have to go that way - lots of examples of that basic drivetrain running really fast in NASCAR, NHRA, Sportsman class.

I suspect that it was just your turn to have one break.

But I'd still try to shove it up Denny's deuterostome blastopore.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #286 on: September 18, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »
In the foregoing discussion of driveshafts, balance and runout seem to be the only factors addressed, and while having good balance and minimal runout are good things, there is a more important criterion to be evaluated, and that is the “critical speed” of the shaft.  The critical speed of a rotating shaft is that speed at which it becomes unstable and prone to lateral buckling.  This is analogous to the buckling of a long, slender column under compressive load.

One would want to assure that the calculated critical speed of a shaft is well in excess of the expected operating range.  If a driveshaft supplier declines to quote the critical speed or, perhaps, their rated speed, you should look for a different supplier or otherwise satisfy yourself that the design is appropriate in regard to this criterion.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »
I.O.

I tested that theory in August. I turned a stock shaft past critical RPM. It started to wobble and broke at 191 mph. My Race Pak said it was turning 4100 RPMs just before it broke. At 47 inches it was way too long and turning too fast. Replaced it with a 3" heavier wall.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2011, 07:19:34 PM »
Land's End Lynda and photographer Chris Hartwell, the chap who took the original photo of the Vesco 444 that was later enlarged and hangs above the cash register at the Salt Flats Cafe.

The Higgins-Waters Team, two Aussie crop farmers and one Yank retired fireman. 

Vesco pit.

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2011, 07:24:10 PM »
Greg Watters at the starting line.

Cohns.  The radio announcer giving background info said there is no crew chief, they all give each other orders.

You know the next one.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #290 on: September 25, 2011, 07:25:12 PM »
And this one.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2011, 12:50:46 PM »
We're just ending a quick hold to look for the video camera from Stainless' Bockscar.  It was searched for, sought, and seeked -- and can't be found, so we're getting ready to resume running.  Stewards are back in position to resume.

120 or so registered land speed racers, plus about 85 130 Club cars (per Ron on the radio) at this event.

At least I found my phone..  :wink:

Everybody stop worrying,  :| after racing was done for the day I went out to the 6.5, found my tracks and walked from the return road to about 50 ft off the track, where the go pro was found.... we couldn't get the video to play so we are leaving that to the experts.  For everyone's info, 1/2 of the mount was attached to the camera, the other half still on the car, we will send that back for warranty.  :roll: If the video comes out it will be posted.
We had a great time, the little car (Bockscar) went a bit over 245, too bad the motor didn't have 2 more miles in it, #4 roasted a valve and displaced a lot of aluminum around the valve seat, the valve turned sideways and smacked the piston about 6 times, burned the head gasket between 3 & 4.  All the other holes looked normal.  My guess in maybe an injector issue, data showed everything was working normally.   It served us well this year, put Corey Goodson in the club at speedweek, made him the fastest guy in the car with a 236 best mile and a 239.5 exit, then allowed me to reclaim the fastest honor... although Corey's new record is faster than mine. 

Probably moving to a smaller motor next year, 45 or 60 ci... lost those over the last couple of years, we will see. 
Thanks to all the USFRA volunteers for a great meet

See ya on the salt  8-)... in a week, gotta get back to work on the big car.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #292 on: October 01, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »
I've got to agree with the concensus - a 2 piece mandates a carrier bearing, another set of splines, and the need to balance both driveshafts, and to do it right, both together.

The drive shaft in a Monte isn't so long as to have to go that way - lots of examples of that basic drivetrain running really fast in NASCAR, NHRA, Sportsman class.

I suspect that it was just your turn to have one break.

But I'd still try to shove it up Denny's deuterostome blastopore.

LOL!  I've decided (for the moment) to stick with a 1-piece driveshaft.  I've talked to Denny at Denny's (huh?) and I'll send him my pretzel-like driveshaft, broken pinion yoke and slip joint.  Then we'll see what we can do about it.  At least I've got a little while to work on it.