Author Topic: Preliminary Design Submittal  (Read 3020 times)

Offline jnespappa

• New folks
Preliminary Design Submittal
« on: February 21, 2006, 09:46:57 AM »
Hey there Land Speed Racers!

I am designing an SG 50cc motorcycle project to eventually run at El Mirage and Bonneville.  I am 95% finished designing the roll cage, wheel placements, front and rear swing arms and steering.  

I would like to submit my design for preliminary review and/or approval and my question is  "how detailed does a design approval submittal have to be"  AND "Who do I send it to?"

Thanks,
-Mark B. Lavergne
New guy needs lots of guidance.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
premimanary
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 12:07:39 PM »
Mark
Conteact
John Bjorkman  jbjorkman@comcast.net
Special construction

Russ O'Daly   lsrmctech@adelphia.net

Motorcycle tech

They will probably ask for pictures and sketches etc.

Glen :shock:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jnespappa

• New folks
Re: premimanary
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 04:52:59 PM »
Quote from: Glen
Mark
Conteact
John Bjorkman  jbjorkman@comcast.net
Special construction

Russ O'Daly   lsrmctech@adelphia.net

Motorcycle tech

They will probably ask for pictures and sketches etc.

Glen :shock:
Thanks for the names and links.
-Mark

Offline JimW

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 12:32:57 PM »
Posted a reply earlier, but it apparently didn't make the trip.

I am also building a MC streamliner (but for larger than 50 cc - but not much).  I sent in about 6 pages of turbo cad drawings and a text specification document.  Now, don't get me wrong, the sketches that I am gusty enough to call 'drawings' were just simple outlines of the body and lines for the space frame and roll structure.  I used text ledgends and arrows pointing to the location of the important stuff (fire bottle, etc.)  In the text specification doc I just followed the rule book making notations about what I would and would not have.

Sent this all to the MC guys.   Even though the comittee was undergoing a change of leadership I heard back in about 3 weeks.  They said, "Well, you have to pass tech inspection at the salt, but what you have looks ok."
They were happy to talk with me at length on the phone and answer all my new guy questions.  Sign up for the LSR mail-list and check out the Tuesday evening live chat here - it's been a great place to ask basic questions and get excellent answers from those who have been there and done that.  Thier big item was - be sure, if you use skids, that the front of the skid has a good 'ski-nose' shape.

I also built a prototype, full size (but in thin wall tube), because I wanted to check out low speed handling.  I learned that the real racer is going to have to be a bit wider as I can just barely squeeze in and out of the proto.  One of the ECTA inspectors lives fairly close, so I plan to take the proto to him for a once over by an expert eye.

As soon as the weather warms up I'm going to test in some unsuspecting nearby parking lot.

Happy to corespond.
Thanks,
Jim.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 01:28:45 PM »
Quote from: JimW
I also built a prototype, full size (but in thin wall tube), because I wanted to check out low speed handling.  I learned that the real racer is going to have to be a bit wider as I can just barely squeeze in and out of the proto.  One of the ECTA inspectors lives fairly close, so I plan to take the proto to him for a once over by an expert eye.

As soon as the weather warms up I'm going to test in some unsuspecting nearby parking lot.

Happy to corespond.
Thanks,
Jim.

How about some pictures :D ,

Sum

Offline jnespappa

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 02:39:47 PM »
Thanks Guys!!