Author Topic: Wendover weather next week - isolated thundershowers?  (Read 9860 times)

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
Wendover weather next week - isolated thundershowers?
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:32:01 AM »
I just took a look at weather.com for next week and other than Thursday they are predicting 30% chance of "isolated thundershowers" every day. Anyone have experience with the accuracy of weather.com and the Salt Flats and what this really means?

Thx

Bob
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Wendover weather next week - isolated thundershowers?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 09:27:15 AM »
Very similar to the predictions made in 2009.  They started a day late due to rain, but the event was superb. The USFRA will bust their hump to make it happen.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline joea

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:47:14 AM »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:54:17 AM »
That's basically been the weather forcast through this area for the last three months. We caught one at SW & never lost a day of racing. Optimist's go to Bonneville, pessimist's stay at home.
  Sid.

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »
I used to skydive many moons ago where wind and low cloud cover used to be problematic (it was the UK after all) and suspend activity. However, in a similar vein to the post above, "If you're on the drop zone, you might jump, if you aren't, you won't!"

I was fortunate enough to be at Speed Week 2011, I concur. Whilst the rain and wind was bad at the end of one of the days, record back-up runs were being carried out the very next morning (although that was after having driven through a newly formed salt lake for a bit at Land's End to get to the pits). Was the salt ideal the next day, probably not, but the courses were open and racing was on.

Offline Freud

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »
Race time is so short each year that even if conditions are not "perfect" you run anyhow.

If a person is really serious you will take advantage of anytime that there is an event.

Figure the percentage of days of your life that Bonneville is available to you and then try to rationalize why you shouldn't go.

It's more productive to find a way to get there.  Most people can not afford private time.

Just being there makes Bonneville PERFECT.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
You guys get hung up on percentages, so here's one for you:

30% CHANCE of rain means:  70% change of light winds with highs in the low to mid 80s, and some of the best racing of the year. 
Oh, and here's another percentage:
100% chance you'll be kicking your Acura if you let some dust settler keep you home. 

And another:
100% chance that some time during the races you'll pat yourself on the back for ignoring percentage chances and be glad you came anyway!

Temp in Wendover right now: 72 degrees
Winds light and variable at:  5 to 10 mph
Skies are mostly clear with a few clouds floating around

So, there you go, if you don't come it's all on you....If you do come....you will achieve your goal you set last year to come to Bonneville this year and absorb some more of the mystery that is the salt flats!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 04:38:44 PM »
Good one Frued and Lynda. We worked hard to get the new engine together, ran into some hickups, got it all back together and are making some really good noise. We leave tomorrow morning at 6am and nothing short of a disaster is going to keep us from the salt this year. See you guys Monday.

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 06:08:35 PM »
A brain fart and the wrong trans lube last week and not realizing it until 9:30 last night turned into a scramble today to find the right lube so I'm leaving tomorrow and doing the drive in two days rather than my originally planned 2.5 day trip. Oh well, no sight seeing on the way out - I'll save that for the return trip. But I will be there.

Bob
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
    We are in Jackpot tonight, and qill be there in the morning. Brought enough beer to weather a few showers. Forcast is 70% no rain.
   Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »
    Forcast is 70% no rain.

good luck with sc 2.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 10:47:01 PM »
Hey Doug, I'm curious as to how you end up way over in Jackpot, coming from MT. It's a lot shorter from Pocatello going through Arbon Valley, Snowville, Park Valley to Oasis.  And that's only 30 miles shorter than going through SLC but takes longer.
  Sid.

Offline Freud

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:42:24 PM »
THANK YOU, Dave, my friend.

Make the best of your time there and don't live in remorse if you don't accomplish your goals.

That just gives another reason to go again.

Bonnevile is not a recognized Religion but it has a very dedicated congregation.

Just as in any church, try to get someone to join your faith.

Bonneville is the only religion that you can see the final results while you are still on earth.

I understand, I am preaching to the choir but it's such a receptive audience.

old FREUD

Since '63

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
Lynda,  I love your percentage comments - your glass is half full indeed.  Of course Doc Freud's comments are always "religion"   well ok, most times  :-)

We will be there with our High School car T2011 - hey, if it "thunderstorms and rains" the kids still can do home work !
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 08:12:03 AM »
     Any time course conditions might not warrant safe runs just means more time available to pick brains and steal tech.

While waiting for the '08 SW drivers meeting to start a thought came to mind, wondered if there was any other location in the country right then that had such a concentration of so many great minds [both theoretical and practical] of so many disciplines as right there on the salt.

One of the world's greatest classrooms and labs with unmatched instruction and mentoring available, keep the eyes and ears open and ask the right questions at the appropriate times.  Just a shame the semesters are so short. 

Ed