Author Topic: BUB - What can we do to help?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Koncretekid

BUB - What can we do to help?
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »
After reading the 2011 posts, I feel like maybe I and the other participants may be able to do something to help.  In SCTA, the rules and regs are determined by the board of SCTA, which is voted upon by the membership.  At BUB, our gracious sponsor seems to be shouldering all the responsibilties, while the sanctioning body, AMA, does not even list the speed trials on their website!  Being new to the Bonneville and the forum (1st trip to the flats in RWB in 2009), I do not want to step on anybody's toes, but I would like to help in any way that I can to  formalize and firm up the inspections, if that is what is needed.  I'm thinking a person or committee in charge of testing fuel, and another to ensure conformance to the regulations, in conjunction with the technical committee.

As a retired mechanical engineer, I hereby offer my assistance, although I am rather transient between my Nova Scotia home and my Colorado home.

I would like to hear from other members or the technical committee/sponsor as to what we can do to prevent incidents alleged to have occurred this year.

Tom Borcherdt
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: BUB - What can we do to help?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:39:24 AM »
This was my first year as a competitor.........anywhere!  From a competent rookie I congradulate you on your offer to help. From a novice (shade-tree) mechanic's point of view............I thought the current scruteneering team headed by Drew did an outstanding job!  If more credibility is required, YES, more help will be needed. I would suggest that discussion should begin with the AMA. As far as 'cheating' goes, a friend and long-time dirt-track racer advises........its usually the cheater that complains becuase they got beat by someone who really understands the science within the rules.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:45:29 AM »
Sounds like a good idea Tom.  Seems like there are a lot of people who think the tech guys are there to make sure you are in the correct class for the machine they brought.  Since it clearly states in Chapter 1 paragraph 1. A.  "The participant is responsible for the entry of the motorcycle into the correct class."
Maybe it would be advantageous to have a "board" of some sort to ask questions regarding class  before you even register the machine, cause once you are on the salt, its too late to find out you classed the bike wrong,- if somebody notices and protests. I thought the tech crew is there to check out the safety check list for the entrants bike, like safety wires, steering head stops, clutch levers, kill switches, fuel shut off, etc. its not their job to justify classification, although maybe we should check with Drew the Chief tech steward on that.
Even though the BUB meet is still a bit new, they are getting better every year, with positive ideas and input like yours, I am sure it will continue to get even better yet.
 Thanks to all the volunteers for their time and effort in helping make this event happen.

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
I'm sure that Bub is like SCTA, tech inspects the bikes and cars for safety, not class compliance. You can ask the inspectors to check for class compliance.  I did two years ago and the inspectors were happy to do it. I didnt this year, I thought for sure I was legal. Wrong. After qualifying for a record I got kicked out of impound, not class legal. I was pi$$ed, at myself. I have read the rule book a thousand times, and still didnt get it right. It was something small, so I fixed it in about ten minutes. Went out and requalified. All's well that End's well. :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing