Author Topic: tires??  (Read 6613 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
tires??
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 02:13:24 PM »
Quote from: dwarner
John Bjorkman, SCTA Special Construction Committee Chairperson, is the builder of the 6 wheeled lakester with the 1/4 of KB for power. John holds the G/BFL record at El Mirage at 218. The car started as a motorcycle streamliner but crashed prompting John to add more wheels and tires.

I don't know the thinking behind the 4 rear tires, maybe too much torque. Bottom line, car looks cool, sounds cool and runs fast.

DW

Thanks for the info Dan.  Funny I've always wanted to know more about that car and here I've been talking to the builder during the construction of my lakester.  I'll have to ask him more questions about it the next time I have a dumb question for him about my car.  

I would love to hear it  :D  and see it  :D .  Like I said before the engineering needed to make the motor is unbelievable.  I see in the rule book that the record was in '99.  Has the car run since there?  Has it ever run on the salt?

The 218 at El Mirage for a G motor is really impressive considering the current record at b'ville is 204.

If I could find the magazine I would post a picture.

c ya, Sum

Offline Rick Byrnes

tires??
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 03:26:25 PM »
Tire size is 13 inches in Diameter.
measured 42.5" circumference

I didn't see Bjorkmans car run, but rather heard it.  The sound was very different to say the least.  
Not being into liners and lakesters back then, I regret that I did not see the car in detail.

My original concept for evolving into a liner included two small tires in tandem in the front with added blisters at the rear.  I have attached a photo of a painting I had my designer friend do to show this concept.  I am not sure that  running the two small tires will be a good idea at speeds in excess of 300 which is the overall objective.  I'm going after Fred Larsens record, and a stiff one it is at that.  Remember guys my old turbo motor was 600 HP at the wheels and it was ancient technology.  Head and valvetrain was done in 1987.  Now armed with the latest airflow, we are looking at way more power.    Turbo power for "07"
If you look at successful 300 to 350 mph cars, you see that the inline wheels work well, as does a conventional arrangement.  Since 21" LSR tires are available, who knows what I'll end up with.
First things first.  Run this year and finally go fast.  I'm tired of working on a "show" car.      :=d
Just lots more testing to do in May and June....I found my missing HP hiding in the computer, so now have at least what we did to make the Merk go 175 on the salt,  Since I think we need more, I'm working on it.  I'm looking for at least what Dan Esslinger has in the state of the art midget motor.....hopefully a little more since I'm 20 cubic inches larger.

Rick
Rick