Author Topic: Plasma Cutters  (Read 19541 times)

Offline bearingburner

Re: Plasma Cutters
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 04:51:38 PM »
If you only need it a few times a year perhaps harming out the work would be the most cost effective. Takes a little more planning.

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 03:00:38 AM »
I'm with Peter Jack, Hypertherm are at the front of the pack right now. I'm not a welder by trade but i do a lot of welding and fabricating and Ive never had any problems with Hypertherm. In my opinion Hypertherm is the way to go. They have a real strict R&D program they will run it till it breaks, fix the problem and run it again. They'll give it more abuse then anyone in the real life will. Go with the Hypertherm you wont be disappointed.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline JimW

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 11:42:26 AM »
Just bought the little Hypertherm (PowerMax 30) unit and am quite happy with it.  A few notes.

Thought I would run it on bottled dry nitrogen to avoid any moisture issues.  Runs nice, but REALLY used up the nitrogen quickly.  Like 20 minutes.  Switched over to shop air (with a separate filter/dryer, and haven't noticed any difference in the cut quality.

These cutters make 3 types of cuts.  Quality, not so quality, and sever - based on the thickness of the material.  This little unit will sever 1/2 steel, but at a speed of 5 inches per minute.  So, hold your hand out and then move it one inch while counting 12 seconds - pretty slow.   I actually get a little faster than that cut on 1/2, with a finish still better than a torch.

Absolutely walks through 1/4 inch.  Quick and clean.

I recommend a guide for any cutting operation.  The Kerf is pretty thin, and any wandering of the torch head will show up.  (My first few straight cuts wound up looking like a termite track.  Putting down a straight edge solved the problem.)

Nice to use.  Turn it on and cut away.  Much easier than getting out the torch (which I still have and use for any really thick stuff).

FWIW

Thanks,
Jim.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
Thanks Jim,

I was looking at that exact same model... Good info on the sever cut up to 1/2" material,,,, I do not think that I would ever be cutting anything larger than 1/4"... but it is nice to know it can handle thicker material if needed.

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline JimW

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 04:45:27 PM »
Charles,

Glad to help.  I paid right at $1,100 bucks for it (distributor AirGas).  Usual web price I found was around $1,300.  You can probably do better if you shop around a bit.  I put a secondary pressure regulator just after the filter/dryer (the second one - first is at the compressor) that I mounted right under the unit on a little stand.  Has a nice long cord to the torch that reaches almost across my small shop, but unit is light and easy to move.  I run mine on 220 'cause that's what I had plumbed for the welder.  Comes with an adapter cable for 220.  Plug and play.

Uses a lot more air than I expected, compressor runs regularly, I have the secondary regulator set at 75 psi.  Cooling air continues to run through the torch for about 30-45 seconds after releasing the trigger.  Seems like a long time, but torch will re-fire during this cool-down period.  I've made several long cuts (3+ feet) in 3/8 material with no issues.  I wear my regular welding goggles.

Thanks,
Jim.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
Surprised Stan din't respond about his close knowledge of an INCREDIBLY inexpensive CNC plasma cutter version soon if not already on the market. YES, CNC! , Yes incredibly inexpensive!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 10:13:04 PM »
Surprised Stan din't respond about his close knowledge of an INCREDIBLY inexpensive CNC plasma cutter version soon if not already on the market. YES, CNC! , Yes incredibly inexpensive!

Tell us more..........
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 10:25:32 PM »
I'm with Rick!!! :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
The electric one?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »
The electric one?
Yea tell us about it?
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 10:05:21 PM »
As the results of this thread  I went to my local supplier---they told me about the 80%-20% rule  if 80% of my cutting is under 3/8" go with the 30-- if 20% is more than 3/8" buy the 45
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:28:47 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 10:55:49 PM »
Sparky,,, thanks,,

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »
Just when I thought I'd seen everything, along comes a plasma cutter which claim to weld, cut, solder and braze, all in a shoulder pack. And, 120/240 volts.  I have to see this.

http://www.multiplaz.com
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:15:02 PM by Vinsky »
John

Offline Tman

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 10:28:43 PM »
Just when I thought I'd seen everything, along comes a plasma cutter which claim to weld, cut, solder and braze, all in a shoulder pack. And, 120/240 volts.  I have to see this.

http://www.multiplaz.com

There is a thread on the HAMB about this machine. Chinese. Someone even has one, does not work worth a damn.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
Ahh, the old too good to be true strikes again. I will admit the website had me for a few minutes.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM