Author Topic: Plasma Cutters  (Read 19563 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Plasma Cutters
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:37:24 PM »
I see Eastwood has a  Versa-Cut Plasma Cutter for $639.99 and free shipping.

it says easily slices through materials up to 3/8" thick
110v or 220v operation ...40amp output,,, 50% duty cycle at 40amps.

This all seems fine,,, I would be happy if it cuts a clean smooth line in 1/4"  steel and aluminum.

Does anyone have any experiance with this machine or welders/cutters from Eastwood ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Plasma Cutters
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:03:33 AM »
Miller and Lincoln make machines. The other two big makers are Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics. I'd be tempted to stay with one of those four just because consumables tend to be brand specific and you will go through nozzles and electrodes. Your normal local welding supplier should be able to look after you with one of these brands. My earlier machine was a Thermal Dynamics and I presently have a Hypertherm. I think Hypertherm leads the field at this point in time. Other's opinions may vary but for sure I'd look at sticking with a name brand machine or at least one that uses name brand consumables.

Pete

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:15:39 AM »
Charles,

Short answer to the specific question - no.

I saved a few bucks up front on another brand MIG [new] from another mail order supplier over 20 years ago.  I got exactly what I paid for, it's still getting the job done but overall it hasn't given optimum returns on investment with performance, operational costs, and convenience.  In making a purchase choice today I would follow PJ's reasoning and advice.

Ed

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:33:46 AM »
I have a Thermal Dynamics for years. Very reasonably priced. I loaned to a friend and his basement flooded leaving it under water. I let it dry out for a month and vola, it worked. That was 3 years ago and it still works strong.  At the job we have a couple of Lincolns. They work flawlessly but are much heavier duty and pricier.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »
I followed PJ's advice on welders and got a nice Miller Mig so I know he is correct..

I have used the Thermal Dynamics and Miller Plasma cutters and yes they are awesome,,

The prices however are over double the $640 for the Eastwood... 

My dilemma is usage... I would not use it very often now,, and not on big jobs,,, just for my little jobs in my home shops...   but then again,, I retire on 6/1/2017  and at that time I may be alot busier in the shops...

Oh my!! see my quandary ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »
I would get a more expensive 1.
it will do a better job and last a lot longer.
and it will be worth
more if I need to sell it.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »
Get the best while you still have the cash flow---been there st ill whinning about my DA-CA decision on my tig, that I was not going to use much!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jww36

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »
There use to be a welding shop in Indiana that sold brand new Miller stuff on ebay for about a third what I could buy it for from my local welding supply. Shipping was free and no state sales tax. Same warranty, etc.

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 10:41:32 AM »
Listen to PJ. I have had the same experiences as he said. If you can not justify the more expensive machine just rent one when it is needed. Stack up several jobs, rent a machine for the afternoon and have at it!

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 12:06:30 PM »
I'd rather have a good used name brand machine than a 'no-name' new one.
My Thermal Pak 5 is about 25 yrs old and weighs about 200#. The newer one weighs about 50# and does the same job..better, and uses less juice.  A perfect cut usually means perfect tips, cups & electrodes. They're not cheap either.
John

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »
Thermal Dynamics has the best consumable support. Not a cheap unit but the best bang for the  buck ... you can even dunk them in the pool and when they dry out they still work.

Offline martysmilt

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 05:08:28 PM »
I have been on this site for about a year and finally feel qualified to respond!  I had a Miller and now have a Hyper Therm plaz cutter.  Both are great machines,  The consumeables on the hyper therm machine seem to last a lot longer.  Go with the best machine you can afford.  The consumeables and support for repairs are much more inportant than the initial price.  A cheap machine that can't be repaired when the inevetable happens will be a source of fruatration.
Marty

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »
Charles:

I think PJ nailed it. I have had a couple of non-brand name that I bought with the same thing in mind..limited use. With that said, it sits for long periods of time. Mean while Eastwood, Daytona Mig or Lowes decides they will stock a different manufacturer. Now i cant get my consumables locally. I  can find consumables for them but they are all mail order which makes me wait if I need something during a project.

I replaced the mig welder with a Miller. The Plasma cutter is next. I will always buy name brand now.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Tman

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
One thing to remember is you need DRY air AT THR RIGHT PSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My boss at the hot rod shop I worked for used to crank up the PSI everytime he used the machine (after I had it set right per the supplier) and burn through consumables. That and a questionable/wet air supply did not help.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 03:24:48 PM »
Always buy the best you can afford and hopefully you only have to buy it once.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff