Author Topic: 2005 ZX12r  (Read 17667 times)

gshell12r

Re: 2005 ZX12r
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 05:40:25 PM »
yeah I know boosting compression is the opposite way to go if t-charging was in the immediate future. But after some thought into it, I'm not even sure I want to boost it even down the road. Just gonna keep it N/A and plan to take to the salt summer of 2013. Going summer of 2012 just to observe and get as much info and wisdom as I can.

gshell12r

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 12:31:44 AM »
New sprocket and chain set just in on friday. Went 40/18 for the sprockets with a DID 530 black and gold 10,000lb chain. Axles are on order as is the new clutch. Hoping to put it all together this week and hit the road sunday for a test ride (no, It won't be a top-speed run).
One question though: which bolts/fasteners need to be safety wired? I'm assuming axle fasteners and other "exposed" bolts and etc but I'm not 100% sure.
(Still can't get pictures loaded. Got them re-sized but the forum interface won't accept JPEG.. still trying).

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
Rear axle nut needs retention ... most of the bikes have a cotter pin from factory which is sufficient. Front is trickier, hollow axles that thread directly into the fork tube can be drilled from under the fork leg and a single safety wire installed.  We assist a lot of first time racers in the tech line. I will have safety wire and pliers. Remember metal valve stems and caps.

Joe

gshell12r

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 10:42:09 PM »
Rear axle nut cotter pin: check. metal valve stems: check.
Yeah I was looking at the front forks yesterday trying to come up with some way to secure the axles but the way you described sounds pretty solid.
Got the sprocket/chain set up installed yesterday and took it on a test ride today. Doesn't quite have the explosion that it used to in 1st and 2nd but I'm not having to slip the clutch like I was afraid I would. Success!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 12:31:34 AM »
Don't forget to check the tightness of non-wired critical bolts at the track before you run, such as the trple clamp bolts and handlebar bolts.  Occasionally one of these will loosen due to all of the jiggling and bumping around during transit.  Especially if the bike is tied down by its handlebars.