Author Topic: Auction coming up!  (Read 20270 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Auction coming up!
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:11:53 AM »
Before we leave the house for WoS - there'll be an auction for a set of books.  They're titled "American Racer", are about motorcycles. One encompasses 1900 - 1939, the other 1940 - 1980.  I'll put photos up here later this morning.

In the meantime -- go ahead and look these up on eBay to get an idea of what they sell for.  And then think how nice it'd be to both increase your library of things related to motorcycles while simultaneously contributing a few $$ to this website.  The auction WILL END this coming Wednesday (7 September) around 4PM EDT -- so that we can deliver them to the winner at World of Speed.  Yes, I'll ship them if the winner won't be at WoS (of WF, for that matter) - but since these are hard-bound books they weight quite a bit and I'd like to save the site from paying to sip them.

Auction - auction - auction!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
Re: Auction coming up!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:21:59 PM »
It's a rainy Sunday before Labor Day -- cool and misty -- so I'll get around to posting some information about the books mentioned above.

Here are photos of the cover(s) and a few title pages:

And finally,

There you have them.  If you've got questions about the books I'll try to answer them.  Let's hear from you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:30:06 PM »
Well -- there sure hasn't been a huge groundswell of excitement about these books - but a little bit.  Here's the status as of the day before we leave home:

The bidding for the books is at $250.  You'll need to beat that number if you want them for your library - and to donate to the website.  We'd both be happy to have you get them.

Now -- I know I said that I'd end the auction soon, but with the little bit of interest - Nancy has wrapped the books in bubble wrap and we'll have them with us as we go to Bonneville.  That way we can hand-carry them to the winner (assuming said winner is out there when we are).  And that'll save a bunch of shipping cost.  And more important -- taking them with us will allow the auction to stay open and cooking along for another week or so.

There's today's report - $250 and counting.  Get your bids in soon, folks.  By the way - the bids might as well go public if you'd like.  Up 'til now they've arrived at landracing.com HQ via PM or email, and that's fine, too.  But - if you want to show off that you're interested in these charming bits of motorcycle history - ah, what the heck, bid in public.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:25:50 PM »
Whoa -- time has flown.  And my mind seems to have gone by the wayside, too.  At SpeedWeek just three weeks ago I was in the pit trailer and a fellow came up to claim the "American Racer" books - that I auctioned off here.  Well, it had been so long that we had not only forgot - but had sorta misplaced them, too.  I felt kinda sheepish as I offered his money back, or whantever I needed to do so he wouldn't think I was trying to cheat.

Well, well, he and I did nothing further then, save he did offer something like "Oh, well...".  But once we got home the books appeared, and right now they're in the bag of stuff to go out to Bonneville when we leave next week.  If you're the guy that won the auction for the books -- I found 'em!  If you won't be at World of Speed or any of the other Bville events yet this year -- please send a mailing address to me and we'll get them out to you even quicker than the time it took to find them.

I'm sorry -- but I (all right, Nancy) found them!  Let's hear from you, sir. :-D :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com