Author Topic: Salt Talks II at World of Speed 2011  (Read 19862 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Salt Talks II at World of Speed 2011
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:48:34 PM »
I'm not sure if you're all heard the news -- that Nancy and I are going to produce/sponsor/run another Salt Talks this year -- at the World of Speed event in a couple of weeks.

We're doing it for a bunch of reasons:  That the "original" one was weathered-out, that we' talked about having Salt Talks at WoS, that we've got a bunch of donated gifts that we didn't have time to draw numbers/give away things.Salt Talks II will be Wednesday evening, the 14nd of September, starting around 5.30.  We'll serve the usual comestibles - hamburgers, hot dogs, and the not-so-usual-but-will-be-soon chicken breasts, along with chips, pop, and condiments, of course.  We're kinda looking for a couple of folks to step up and tell us that they'd like to be the cooks.  The pay is no money, all the burned and greasy bits of meat that slip through the grill, and a big dollop of smoke in your face.  Oh, yes -- you get to shoot the breeze with scads of passing racers as they are served their dinner.

We'll have a raffle ticket sale and drawings (of those tickets) for prizes that have been donated, as usual.  If you've got something - a couple of team t-shirts, for instance, or a book or DVD that you'd be willing to give away via landracing.com  let me know here or by PM or even just by bringing it to WoS and giving it to us.

That's it -- see you at Salt Talks II!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline entropy

Re: Salt Talks II at World of Speed 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 02:21:03 AM »
SSS,
"...We're kinda looking for a couple of folks to step up and tell us that they'd like to be the cooks"

TFA's lil crew has a couple of 99.99% probable candidates if you are still looking for volunteers.
Being TFA, they might eat as much as they cook, but they are plenty friendly.
LMK

Karl

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:49:54 AM »
Unh, gee -- thanks.  Maybe we'll have them cook the lousy-tasting stuff.

Seriously -- thanks for finding us some help.  At the SpeedWeek iteration of Salt Talks we have a group of about 8 people that help out -- but thanks to this smaller (expected) crowd we should be able to pull it off with four or five (but more will help).  See you Wednesday the 14nd.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline entropy

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »
Unh, gee -- thanks.  Maybe we'll have them cook the lousy-tasting stuff.

Seriously -- thanks for finding us some help.  At the SpeedWeek iteration of Salt Talks we have a group of about 8 people that help out -- but thanks to this smaller (expected) crowd we should be able to pull it off with four or five (but more will help).  See you Wednesday the 14nd.

SSS,
Bill Kelly & Jake Peters are yr men! I'll pitch in if i'm not fiddling with my bike.

They are flying into SLC on Sun to help me for the event, so they'll get acquainted with you early that week.

I went to grad school with both of them about a hundred years ago, my oldest and bestest buds.
Karl

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:04:37 PM »
Slim   Team Fat Ass is the best group of people racing together ... Karl is the glue that holds it together  ... they will be fine ... fill em up on the rabbit food before you break out the beef would be my suggestion.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 01:23:19 PM »
I am bringing one of the TFA ladies, Brenda Sue, I will see if she wants to do some cooking.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:57:16 PM »
Not the Brenda Sue   ?    AKA "the Texas hot tamale".

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
I've just sent an invitation to Salt Talks II - to Burly Bug, the guy from the racing VW forum.  I asked him to let his "readers" know about Salt Talks.  We may have a bunch of "bug"-eyed folks at the event this year.  Cool. . . 8-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:37:42 AM »
Joe, thats her. She doesn't know how much trouble she is in. She is already addicted to LSR, of the pavement variety. Wait 'til she spends a week on the salt.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »
Hey, hey, HEY!  We've just received another donation for Salt Talks II -- some watermelon.  Nice idea, don'tchew think?  Better, of course, since it's the peak of the melon season* in Utah - so there's a good chance that the melon will be extra sweet and juicy.

*Check out the community site for Green River, Utah - near the Colorado border, on I-70.  Green River holds the annual "Melon Days" about this time of year, and - since it's claimed to be the melon capitol of the world, or country or something -- they've got great melons of all types.  go there on the Saturday or Sunday of Melon Days for all the FREE melon, of any type, that you can eat.  It's like a slobbery County Fair.  (Link:  http://www.greenriverutah.com/melon_days_2010)

Salt Talks II - World of Speed - is coming up in about ten days.  If you've got something to donate for the raffle/give-away -- let us know so we can be ready to receive and dispense it.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 11:00:04 AM »
Where is it going to be located?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »
All of the "modern day" Salt Talks events (that is, since about '02 or '03) have been/will be at the Bend in the Road.  We'll start near the end of the racing day -- probably around 5.30 or so when we light the charcoal, near 6 when the first of the food is ready to eat.  We'll be selling the tickets (prize raffle and a cash drawing) all the time, have t-shirts for sale, too, and will draw the winning tickets at 7.30 - 8 or whatever.  Come on -- it's free (and you're welcome to make a donation to help support the website).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 10:10:17 AM »
   SSS,
     I'll bring the bike. Should be there on Sunday.
   Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 10:14:58 AM »
Great.  Thanks, Doug.  We'll be going to Bville via Denver this time so won't pester you with a phone call that breaks up as we travel.  And then -- after WoS and the Shootout -- we're flying home and back.  Once again - no cellphone contact.  But maybe, MAYBE - at the end of WF we'll be towing the whole shebang home and maybe then Columbus would be a stop in our itinerary.  No matter what -- thanks again for the scooter.  We'll use it and think of you while doing so.

(Not, when I think about it, that it's necessarily a good thing to think of you every time we need to go potty.)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
Sounds good, going to try and make this one...