Author Topic: Studephiles  (Read 186218 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Studephiles
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »
  Thanks Gary,   I don't for a minute think I rank with the earlier Studebaker hero's, from the earliest guy's like "Beachball" Sanchez up thru the Burkland's and Neil Thompson, to Bruce Geisler, John Edmonds and Les Leggit,  to the newer guy's like yourself, Hooley and Terry Hunt's beautiful (and fast!) Guam Bomb.
  As time marches by, I have had the advantage to learn from all of you and that along with rules which have allowed better aerodynamics and better engine parts, I realize that I am just a fly smilling about a fresh pile of sh*t and don't think for a minute that I am the "Herd Bull".
  Perhaps a little full of "the Bull" but never the less just happy to have the chance to chase you guys.
                                               Thanks again, One Run Bob..........
Bob Drury

Offline dw230

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »
Once again I am asking for help on the fastest mile speed for a '53/'54 Studebaker on the salt this year. Of course this means researching Speed Week only.

This is for the Courtney Hizer Award. I know the shop has not completed the 2012 award for One Way Bob and I am on my way there to rectify the situation.

Thanks in advance,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »
  Hey!  That's "One Run Bob" not "One Way Bob"!  I have worked hard for fifteen years to keep from making backup runs and I have used MANY ways to do it!
  Someday I will write a book on how to make it happen..........  it's really easy.  Marlo suggested many years ago that I write a book on my adventures in towing to and from the Salt.
  Perhaps I could market them as a matched set (best read when one is suffering from a bad case of the "dumb shits" after a major f**k up on ones part).
                                                                                     Yours in suffering, One Run Bob    :cheers: :roll: :-o
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »
Once again I am asking for help on the fastest mile speed for a '53/'54 Studebaker on the salt this year. Of course this means researching Speed Week only.

This is for the Courtney Hizer Award. I know the shop has not completed the 2012 award for One Way Bob and I am on my way there to rectify the situation.

Thanks in advance,
DW

Is this for a stock body not a comp coupe? 

I'm sure someone must of gone faster in a Stude but my 5th mile for my A license was 213.460 with a 217.997 exit speed.

I thought I was going about 240 according to the tach but when we got home we found out that the new overdrive 4th gears were actually less overdrive than the ones we took out  :cry:.  

I think the car is going to be much faster than it was with the old motor as it was running 50% throttle and 1.16 psi of vacuum at the manifold (no boost at all) just loafing along.  We were all set to be up there this week to see what she might actually run but that didn't happen  :-(,

Sum
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:31:38 PM by Sumner »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2013, 09:41:10 PM »
I believe the award is for the fastest mile, whatever the class.

(Come-on, man -- you know exit speeds don't count.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »
Here are the pre-entered cars that may have qualified  . . .

974 AA/BGCC --Just Glad To Be Here

1642 XO/BGCC -- Brian Sawyer

352 C/GCC -- Coe & Thompson

709 C/GCC -- Scaaty Racing Team

9913 C/GCC -- Stupidbaker Racing

653 XF/GCC -- Gordon Driedger

5027 B/GALT -- Jerry Hansen

9304 B/GALT -- Andre Moreau

. . . more than I woulda thunk.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2013, 11:35:20 PM »
I believe the award is for the fastest mile, whatever the class.

(Come-on, man -- you know exit speeds don't count.)

I gave the mile and I'd bet there was someone faster  :-),

Sum

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
Sum --

Hope you understand I wasn't really trying to put you down.  I was just trying to add a little of my humor -- sometimes a bit too biting.

I've a lot of respect for you and your cohorts.

Stan

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
Sum --

Hope you understand I wasn't really trying to put you down.  I was just trying to add a little of my humor -- sometimes a bit too biting.

I've a lot of respect for you and your cohorts.

Stan

No problem, just didn't know if you saw the mile time.  I did look and the best I can tell the 9913 C/GCC -- Stupidbaker Racing ran a second mile speed of 226.408 on Wed I believe.  The part I can't figure out was the 3rd mile, exit speed, and top speed were all 999.999.  Does that mean the timing was screwed up for those traps?

Also the 352 C/GCC -- Coe & Thompson had a mile of 221.581 one day.

Dan don't go on the above as I might of missed a time for someone on one of the days. 

Looks like I came in a distant 3rd  :cry:.  I sure wish I would of know we had the wrong overdrive gears in the car and the rpm readings I was using for 4th were way off but the guys above had some really good runs and deserve the trophy.  Congrats to whichever one gets it and to all of the Studes that were out there this year.  It was a great turnout,

Sum

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2013, 01:01:30 PM »
Sumner, I'll have you know you're the first racer to EVER put in the wrong gear....  :-o
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2013, 01:09:10 PM »
Here're the two in question . . .

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »
Sumner, I'll have you know you're the first racer to EVER put in the wrong gear....  :-o

Hey it wasn't me it was Hooley and that is my story and I'm sticking to it  8-).  Of course I was the one that told him which ones to order  :cry:

After we got back I called them (G-Force) to see if they would give us some credit back on them for the right ones and told them they only had 2 1/2 miles of use but they wouldn't.  Did find a set of new Andrews gears for $100 and bought those and also two sets of better overdrive drive gears for $50 each and bought those.

We went with one of the new drive gear sets to see what they would do as they will bring 1st from 1.93 down to 1.73 and second from 1.34 down to 1.19 which might help as we can't run WOT in 1st or second now anyway.  Third is 1:1 and 4th is now .865 vs. the .970 at Speedweek (the old 4th was .930).

I'm now looking for a used 101 for the Lakester and we now have a number of overdrive combinations we can use for either transmission,

Sum

Offline GH

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2013, 09:50:30 AM »
Wow, 8 Studebakers on the Salt this year. That would have made a great photo. I remember back in 06, I set up a date and time for a photo shoot out on the salt but we arrived late and missed it. We had front axle problems on the race car the first evening and the next evening we replaced the water pump on the Ford diesel, when we arrived I was beat.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »
... I remember back in 06, I set up a date and time for a photo shoot out on the salt but we arrived late and missed it. We had front axle problems on the race car the first evening and the next evening we replaced the water pump on the Ford diesel, when we arrived I was beat....

I should have pictures of that someplace or another year the Studes lined up,

Sum

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »
Plus there was an Izusu diesel powered 50 and a few pickups, too.