Author Topic: Some serious thank-you-ing!  (Read 4492 times)

Offline GreyCrazy

Some serious thank-you-ing!
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:29:20 PM »
I want to give a sincere shout-out to the folks who helped make our first experience so incredible and amazing.

Lynda, you are a true blessing.  <hugs>  Lynda wrote me back from the first stupid newbie post I sent her asking what I'm sure to her sounded like the 1000th Stupid Newbie Question.  She kindly and patiently answered me over and over, helping me nail down the details I didn't understand.  In the end you still have to 'go there' in order to fully get it, but Lynda was a HUGE help.  Lynda you know all the things you did to give us a boost up and I sincerely appreciate it!

Dan and several other folks, thank you so much for trying to help us find rooms and answer other questions.  I stopped by Impound five or six times to say hi, but you were always gone/busy/etc. Just didn't want you to think I ignored the invite!  LOL  You had more important things to attend to than us, but I'm grateful for your willingness to say hello.

Larry with Black Horse Photo-- we never found you guys!  We tried, asked lots and lots of people, but never located you.  PLEASE keep working on that project you shared with me because it was a BIG BIG help coming in the first time. We had it with us following along and it told us everything we needed to know.

And last but not least, to the marvelous boys of the Avanti Kid Racing Team.  (Please know I say Boys with all affection)  :-)  You are some of the most generous, thoughful, terrific men I have ever had the pleasure of spending time with.  You welcomed us without knowing us, included us in your days both tense and exciting, and never once said "awww geez, we've got newbies in our way!"  Dave you are a gem among men and so is every member of your team.  Robert and I both consider it a true honor to be a part of Speed Week on your crew and we will never, ever, forget your gifts of time and experience.  The Avanti may not have made a new record but for us it was priceless!  Robert finally took his arm band off just last night.  <laughing>

There are so many other people I wish I could thank.  There was the roadster driver that made me smile, and the radio announcer who gave us a way to really understand what was happening.  There was the guy we met at breakfast also from SC who visited like we were old friends, and the starting line official who took the little boy in front of us over to see a car waiting for their run.  The folks cooking hour after hour over that hot grill so we could eat, and the folks that stopped to compliment the Avanti while we waited for our runs.

What an incredible trip and one that we couldn't have done nearly so well without all of you.  Should the day ever come when I have the opportunity, I will pay it forward and help someone else realize their own dream of seeing the Salt.  We'll certainly be back....next time with something special for Lynda, a hug for Dave wherever he's working as an official that year, and another of those incredible pancakes at sunrise waiting for the Return Runs to start!

Kim (shameless new Salt Fanatic)

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Some serious thank-you-ing!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »
Kim -- Sorry I missed connecting with you too, but maybe next time.

Thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure helping out, I remember very well the first time I drove onto the salt and all the kind people that have helped me in various ways out there.

It it part of the culture out there to welcome new comers with open arms and I want to be sure that culture survives and thrives in the coming years.

Larry

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:25:36 PM »
Kim, salt fever is forever, yearly fix required.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline GreyCrazy

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 08:31:25 PM »
Hey Glen!  I think I met you-- I was the one worried about the photographer that spoke to you at Salt Talks.  That was just before the Grand Torrent hit.  LOL

Offline GreyCrazy

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »
<<It it part of the culture out there to welcome new comers with open arms and I want to be sure that culture survives and thrives in the coming years.>>

Here here!!  (clapping)  As I said I LOVE your project Larry!  If there's any other way I can help you keep that culture alive please don't hesitate to ask me.

Offline GreyCrazy

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »
If anyone is interested, my conversation where I promised to try explaining the Salt is in this thread:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10121.0.html

I took a fair amount of good-natured ribbing during the week about whether I'd be able to do it.  (laughing)  I had to give it a try!   :-D

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 11:27:57 AM »
I am sorry that I missed you and Robert Kim. I do get pulled in various directions once the racing starts.
Do come over the next time you are on the salt.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »
I just want to add some remarks about Kim and Robert, they were a joy to have with us in the pits when we were working on the Avanti, we enjoyed thier humor, energy and wisdom, sure hope to keep in touch with them by e-mail or see them next year if I get to help SCTA with the timing responsibilities.  It was Kim's mother Karren who designed my Avanti Kid racing T-Shirts, they were really a hit on the salt and sold like hot cakes, so Kim thanks and have a safe trip home, Dave, Mike P, Mike B, Al, Kurt, Vaden, Dan.

PS, we will send digital photos to you by e-mail
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine