Author Topic: Maxton September.  (Read 20390 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Maxton September.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »
the NYC Transit System is shutting down at noon Saturday.  NJ Transit also ... I cant get over the evacuation deal ... evacuate to where?

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 06:18:20 PM »
West and to higher ground :-)
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 06:30:43 PM »
I got a cousin (another old guy) lives in Long Beach, says none of the resident year rounders are moving. Everybody sitting around in a kind of party atmosphere waiting for Armageddon.  Basically an old guy deal, we think we are ready, will not leave our place to elements or looters. As the county supervisor out there just said it's "mandatory" for everybody on that  glorified sand bar to leave, I guess we will see what that means. Ironic part is State farm, the BIG insurer out there, recently just mandated compulsory flood insurance out there. Strange times indeed.  
I'm at over 400ft above sea level just north in Westchester county, so if anybody down there fags out, come  on  up !!!
Daly(s) !!!, I have beer !!!!!
Bob W

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »
Captain --- there are a number of city housing projects with over 50,000 indigent residents ... the point is where are they going ... NY would gladly send them to higher ground in NJ ... butttttttttt I doubt Jersey needs anymore welfare recipients.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
Bob W,,

Ponder this,,, if you are at  sea level and you get a foot of rain, or at 200 feet above and get that same foot or even where you are and get a foot of rain.. how is it better being on higher ground if the rain is coming down ?

Now from storm surge etc,, you are 100% correct,,, but from rain coming DOWN.. the steets, drains, creeks may not be able to shed the rain water fast enough so the water can rise even on higher ground.

Hope all goes well for everyone in the storms path,,, heck we just had a earthquake this week now here comes a Hurricane,,,

Be safe, Be well and oh yeah... cold beer helps,,,

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »
I live in a flood zone. A foot of water coming down in a couple hours is bad. But the wind is what I am worried about .I have electric sump pumps . as long as they are running I am good. As soon as they stop. I am in trouble. Nothing I can do but wait for the electricity to come back on. I don't have generator.  YET
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »
Eric,

you need a generator,, get a small enough one to bring with you to the races, but large enough to power your sump pump, a light and your refrig..

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 09:26:11 PM »
Hi Charles,
My reference to my 400ft above sea level was in  comparison to those real close to the Ocean. The predicted storm surge on the south shore of Long Island NY is about a conservative 4 ft . The bad part is the  coincidence with the new moon high tide at the same time as the height of the storm, which is a few feet higher than usual.
 The only good part about this situation is the soil content in that area is mostly sand, and it isn't as saturated as up here in the hills of Westchester,so it drains off very rapidly. In contrast, my yard is still soaked from previous ( the whole summer) rains.
People on the left coast have nothing on us East coasters, we get Earthquakes now, Tornadoes now, and our Fall Hurricane season. Streets are real clean, though,LOLL
Bob W 

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 09:33:14 PM »
Bob, hope all goes well and the storm turns East and gets on out of here.

Will u be up at Loring in September ??

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 09:34:09 PM »
Eric,

you need a generator,, get a small enough one to bring with you to the races, but large enough to power your sump pump, a light and your refrig..

Charles
Honestly Charles I am afraid to get electricuted .rain deep water and electricity are not something I will play with .I don't keep food in the fridge.Just nitrous bottles and beer. If the power is out for more than forty eight hours it is time to lock and load.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 09:45:36 PM »
55Chevr, What makes you think there is high ground in Jersey, my family is from Jersey,and where do you think the 50,000 "indigent" residents came from. PS all,9:45p, torrential rains are here and steady30mph winds with45 gusts and power flickering. Going to be a noisy night, good think I have 12oz sleep aids by the 12 pack. :-D
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline redcatch

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 07:27:31 AM »
You all be careful. In 2004 Francis took a main feeder line into our area. It took two weeks to get power. There will be 1000's of electrical workers as far away as Texas coming in to help. The Race car trailer has living quarters in the front. Start the generator and move in, thats what we do. Just be safe. A storm like this has lots of critters moving around because of flooding and a down power line might take days for a crew to get at.
Bob
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports

ECTA Record Holder
B/GALT

redcatch32@aol.com

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
Lots of flooding in Eastern NC.  The storm surge along with the rain has pushed water up the river.  New Bern has a big mess on it's hands.  The coast is weathering it well, but the piers are coming down from Atlantic Beach North.  We are fine with wind gusts only around 30 mph and about an inch of rain.  40 miles east wind gusts around 60-70 with 3-5 inches of rain.  If you are North along the coast I'd say the storm surge is significant and flooding is likely.  Be careful.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »
Hey Charles,
We plan on bringing #343 up in Sept, running it in G/BGT . It's got the HP and gears for the SCTA record of 211, just don;'t know if we have the room with our one big Turbo.
As far as the weather situation, maybe we should move this to a new thread ?
I'll start it after I post this ....See you all there...
Bob W 

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 01:23:15 PM »
Yea, Back on topic, servived the mess. Again we will be there just need some advice. How to motivate a sllooowwww roll cage fab guy with out peeing him off. :roll: Will consider all offerings.