Author Topic: Differences in WOS from SpeedWeek  (Read 5071 times)

Offline JamesJ

Differences in WOS from SpeedWeek
« on: August 21, 2011, 02:44:06 PM »
We are going to the WOS event this year for the first time, we are not strangers to Speedweek so just seeing what was different with setup, things such as is there an Ice truck?, Is the flame cafe on site? Same fuel guys? just things like that... or if there is some more information I can look at send me that way, Thanks..

Also we sent in to pre-registrations but will only be using one so we have one for sale

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Differences in WOS from SpeedWeek
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »
Food is vended by the Enola Gay Cafe, not the Red Flame.  ERC is the fuel vendor.  There is usually just one combination course plus a separate 130 MPH Club course.  Pits are commonly located pretty near the start line.  The Cl;ub Mascot is a big chicken wearing a checkered flag bandana.  The rules are the same and the fun is very similar.

That pretty well sums it up.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 02:56:01 PM »
It was the same fuel guys last year at WOS as this year at SW - can't say about the ice truck, but fewer vendors on the salt.

WOS is a smaller event with fewer distractions and definitely a lower cost as far as accommodations are concerned.  The sun sets a little earlier, so you've got a bit less time, but usually by the second day, the lines are moving smartly.

I hate big crowds, and find WOS a very comfortable and inviting environment.  It's like Goldilocks - IMHO, SW is too big, WF is too late, WOS is just right.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 11:31:56 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I see that they are going to post a schedule soon but is it safe to assume that the day before the racing starts Sept 12 will be an inspection day?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:14:07 AM »
Ah, that's the big question - at least in my little head.  I don't know for sure which day is inspection for WoS.  I assume (dangerous word) that Inspection is Monday and racing per se begins Tuesday -- but I can't prove it.  We're going out there via a family visit in Denver and sure would like to know when's what so we don't arrive late - or early. 

I'm probably just being overly cautious and sure enough, inspection is Monday.  But - would someone please confirm it?  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bak189

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »
Are we going to see Seldon Seen Slim and  bride at the BUB Meet?.............................................
Question authority.....always

Offline gande

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 11:27:14 AM »
WOS
Pit setup will start Sunday afternoon, exact time depends on layout completion.  Inspection will start Monday morning. LSR and 150 Club entries can register Monday, 130 entries can register on Tuesday.  Registration and inspection will continue through the end of the event.  LSR and 150 Club will begin running Tuesday morning after drivers meeting. 130 Club will begin running Wensday morning after their drivers meeting. Jon are you available to inspect?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:37:04 AM »
Hunh?  You're kidding, right?  This will be the first time in a handful of years that I got asked to inspect BEFORE the event.  The normal (?) routine is that the bikes line up about 1,100 deep, awaiting inspection, and then Jim shows up to ask if I'll inspect.

I guess I can inspect.  We didn't intend to arrive before Monday mid-afternoon, though, so Nancy and I will spend some time today re-farkling our schedule to see if we can be in town by Monday morning (maybe even Sunday evening).  I'll get back to you.

No, by the way -- we will not be at Bub's.  We've gotta spend more than a few days with the laser engraving business.  It's going pretty well - and we want to keep it so.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Wester

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:25:09 PM »
Pit set up and inspection on Monday, Sept. 12. I'll post more details after the club meeting on September 7th.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:32:56 PM by Wester »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 11:39:25 PM »
.... and a reminder to all, last year I had Jon and Nancy make up thank you plaques for my crew for helping me make my fastest pass ever, and as a result they let me abuse them the first two days without whining..........  
  Of course what goes up comes down and they were mumbling about lynching someone as they left me and my motorless truck on the salt...............
  Seriously, the plaques were nicely done with a etched placard on a hardwood base.
  The price was more than fair, and I had them within a week.
  If enough people ordered, Jon wouldn't force us to go through semi-annual pledge drives.............. no wait , that's PBS....not SSS ........ :-D :-D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:03:17 AM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury