Author Topic: On the Scene at SpeedWeek 2011  (Read 209842 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: On the Scene at SpeedWeek 2011
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 03:52:22 PM »
I just made a quick trip to town for a few errands -- and shot these of cars (well, and a farm tractor) at the Stateline/Nugget -- for the informal show over the next few evenings.

If I built a street rod -- it's be an old Merc - no questions.

Got to go out and plow the back 40?  Do it with a Ford 8N tractor -- and a flathead???

More later, boys and girls.  The cars and other stuff are already lining up at the Nugget -- see you there later, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »
A bit of an update on the Code 3 incident:  I've heard from 2 sources that it was an MI (heart attack) and I'll wait until I know more before saying any more about the person or status...mainly cuz all I know has come from 2nd or 3rd hand statements.  I can say that it was something very sudden, unexpected (of course) but not related to any competition activities.

And it wouldn't be a salt flats experience without some sort of computer/connectivity problem.  I've had to switch from Firefox to Google Chrome as my browser for some unknown reason.

Now.  Here are some photos from the tech waiting line:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:05:05 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline sabat

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
Great pics RTR, this is the second of many thanks for the next week of pics & reporting  :cheers:

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 04:55:15 PM »
Ray,Firefox been giving me trouble lately and switched to Chrome as well.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Rootz

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »
Great pics, Ray and Slim! It's the next best thing to being there.

I keep promising myself a trip to Speed Week but it's a long way from the UK and to be honest, one of the main things keeping me away is the prospect of travelling so far only to find all the hotel rooms taken and booked a year in advance. Any advice on that score would be very welcome!

Looking forward to listening in on "Speed Week Radio"!

Cheerz!

Rootz

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 06:52:09 PM »
We're back to Firefox, I may have found the issues (DNS problems.)

Here are some candids and goof-off fotos from tech:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 07:02:35 PM »
From one end of the spectrum to the other.  George Poteet in the Speed Demon, Danny Burrow and the Blowfish and the Silacci & Best Honda 600.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »
A quick addendum to my last post.  George Poteet has (at least) 3 goals: the C/BGS record, the overall streamliner record (they're running a 347" motor this year) and the Hot Rod trophy for the 3rd year in a row. 

Danny Burrow, Troy Trepanier and George's Cameltoe Racing Blowfish are shooting to become the 4th (or maybe 5th) "car" with a speed over 300 mph.  The record in B/BFCC is 294, set by Tom Burkland in 1985...in the Datsun B210 (that looked NOTHING like a Datsun when they got thru with it.)  The speed they are looking for is north of 308.

Offline Woodstock

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »
Jon and Ray, keep the reports and pictures coming.... really enjoying them.  Great job to both of you.  We'll be on the road in the morning heading your way!   :cheers:

Offline sabat

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
Wow, that 2-stroker has some seriously steep rake!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 11:15:32 PM »
One quick photo and an update.  The photo was inspired by Freud's shot of the Pierson coupe shot years ago.  His was much better than this, but I'll take what I can get.

Note from Land's End Lynda:  The Red Garter has at least 15 rooms availabe every night.  There's no minumum stay and the price (may vary depending on the room) is $131/night thru Monday nite, then drops to the regular rate.  Now ya know.

A sad note to close on.  The Code 3 incident this morning was a fatal.  Massive heart attack and was gone immediately...no suffering. 

I hope I don't have to report anything more like this.

Here's the photo and one that Peter Vincent has rights to but allowed me to post here.  The roadster is the one Peter has rights to, the sedan is "mine" more or less.  :)

Offline Texican

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
YOU SHORE DONE GOOD, BOY!

That is absolutely calender and poster quality type work.
Just keep it up;  Willie Nelson was once quoted as saying: "This beat-up old guitar is going to take me around the world."

Those beat up old Canons might open the same doors for an old rat.

best wishes,
Jim

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 12:06:30 AM »
Advanced Crew,

Thanks a million for all of the updates and photos..

See ya just after the crack of dawn Monday, on the salt.

Haul Ass!
Ride for your LIFE!

Raycwheeler U S A

A quick addendum to my last post.  George Poteet has (at least) 3 goals: the C/BGS record, the overall streamliner record (they're running a 347" motor this year) and the Hot Rod trophy for the 3rd year in a row. 

Danny Burrow, Troy Trepanier and George's Cameltoe Racing Blowfish are shooting to become the 4th (or maybe 5th) "car" with a speed over 300 mph.  The record in B/BFCC is 294, set by Tom Burkland in 1985...in the Datsun B210 (that looked NOTHING like a Datsun when they got thru with it.)  The speed they are looking for is north of 308.
Ray C Wheeler

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 12:24:09 AM »
Ray, Ray, if you think you can take cool photos using the moon and a great car -- what do you think of this one?

How 'bout this?

Or maybe this?

I didn't think much about the fact that we had a nice moon rising 'til Nancy mentioned it as we were leaving the salt after our evening of pit-closing duties.  We were within a mile or so of Land's End when we (okay, when I) decided to turn around and drive all the way back to the SSS pit for these photos.  Not the greatest subject, maybe, but a good moonrise is only available to us once in a long while out here -- so we did return to the pit and did take some photos.  Whether or not they're calendar (note the correct spelling, Jim) -- you've gotta try to grab the opportunity and go with it.

Thanks to all, and to all a good night.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 01:18:40 AM »
Thanks for all the updates guys it's going to be a very unproductive week sitting behind the cpu hitting the refresh button.

Scott