Author Topic: Help on buying a used diesel truck  (Read 18995 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Help on buying a used diesel truck
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 01:10:17 AM »
I have a 2004 Ford 6.0 and like you use it only for towing my #8000 trailer and some vacations empty. I bought it new and it currently has 54K mile. I count my engine related problems on "no" fingers...You heard right. No injectors, no head gaskets, no head studs, no cooler problems, no EGR valve problems.

I use Standyne additive with each tank of fuel since new and have NO hop-up stuff on it. I have never found a drop of water in the fuel separator and by the miles you see it sits a lot. Every 20K mile I add a half bottle of Hot Shot Secret to the oil change. The product was developed for Ford and International to stop the problens they had with the 03 6.0's. After it's development Ford decided not to use it and the product was made public. I use it and will again at 60K miles.

After 3 years I went to Mobil 1 full synthetic 15-40  then 5-40  for diesels. I have had a Bully-Dog monitor on the engine since new: monitoring turbe pressure, engine exhaust and turbo EGT's and battery voltage.

The only engine part that I have changed is the rubber hose leaving the turbo to the cooler. I failed climbing out of Wendover after last years World Finals. I have no idea why. I added an extra hose clamp to get home and bought a new one from Ford. It has never had any thing but Ford Coolant and Ford Trans fluid. I learned a long time ago to put Ford stuff in a Ford and not aftermarket that meets specs. I change the external trans filter and fuel filters at 15K miles.......Good Luck on what ever you choose.

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 07:13:33 AM »
Thanks to all that have shared there knowledge, experience and preference about this subject. I started looking around for trucks that fall into the years, miles, engines, transmissions and a price range that works for me. So far Ive found these and I would like to know what you guys think.
  1. 04 Dodge ram 3500 2wd dually 5.9l cummins diesel 6 speed manual trans 171,000 miles needs a bit of body work $10k
  2. 01 Ford 350 2wd dually 7.3l powerstroke auto transmission 169,800 miles $9.8k
  3. 02 Dodge ram 3500 dually 5.9l cummins turbo auto transmission 180,000 miles $11k
  4. 02 Ford 350 xlt 7.3l turbo diesel 196,630 $11.5k (a bit high for my price range)
  5. 04 Dodge ram 3500 reg cab dually 5.7l hemi (not a diesel) manual transmission 129,796 miles $8k
  6. 01 Ford 350 7.3l turbo manual transmission 188,000 miles needs about $2500 in body work $7.5k
I tried to fit the models and years the best i could that you guys suggested.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:25:01 AM by Jorge »
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »
Jorge;

I'd go with #1.

Regards, Neil
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 03:03:28 AM »
Since Neil owns No. 1 that's a pretty logical choice. But I second his motion. :-D
No 5. is quite interesting because that is a regular cab. Pretty rare to find one of those nowdays. I like the shorter wheelbase which is a big help around town. If you are only to use it for towing and highway use a longer wheelbase is a plus. I don't know Dodge stuff but be careful of that '04 Hemi. I heard there was a recall on the motor that year or sumptin was wrong. Don't know exactly but maybe someone here can educate us.

You haven't said if fuel mileage was important or if you were going to wrench on the truck yourself. A gas vehicle will always have worse mileage than a diesel. Replacing a clutch on a high mileage truck can be beaucoup expensive if you have the work done. If you are going to wrench on the truck yourself I would go with any of your Dodge picks. If you don't want to do the work then I would kick-up the price a few $K and get a Duramax with the Allison automatic. Up until about '06 or '07 the Duramax made more power than all of them. At some point the Ford became the HP winner but the mileage is terrible compared to the rest of them. I don't know who owns the HP race now and don't care. My '06 Duramax makes 675 !bs of torque. (yeah, I put the explanation mark there on purpose.   :-D  Signing off for SW . . .

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »
My 01 Duramax has 89,000 easy miles.  Had several injectors replaced under warranty, and just had all on drivers side changed last week. $2700.00
Now the code says leaking injectors, probably on passingers side. Pretty freakin scary to be pulling a big load up the grade in line with a bunch of big rigs and all of a sudden the thing drops to 2000 rpm. Now you are in a panic trying to get out of the way.  You finally pull over, turn the engine off for 15 seconds, (this resets the computer) restart the engine and you're on your way, til it happens again. This is to "protect your engine from damage".  Now I read this is all too common on the 2001 / 2004 Duramax engines. 2005 has different heads and injectors and much cheaper to test and change out when bad.
I was told by my rep that the original DENZO/DURAMAX engines in Japan didn't have these fuel in oil and smoking problems.  Another why GM went belly up.
John

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 01:19:10 PM »
*snip*
A gas vehicle will always have worse mileage than a diesel.
Lost a small friendly bet on just how badly. My gas powered truck and cab-over camper ran 8 mpg, we then loaded it onto a friends new car carrier and sped around the local freeways a bit getting 14 mpg and pushing a huge amount of air.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 09:21:16 PM »
snip . . . Now I read this is all too common on the 2001 / 2004 Duramax engines. 2005 has different heads and injectors and much cheaper to test and change out when bad.

True: The injector change occured in '05. They went from internal to external injectors. Also emmissions and fuel mileage got better. The Allison trans went from a 5 speed to an 6 speed in '06. If looking for a Duramax the model you want is the LBZ (engine code) (or newer) and 6 speed Allison. Anything after '06 you can't go wrong. Others know this and unfortunately it is reflected in pricing.

Offline Jorge

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 09:59:08 PM »
SALTFEVER,

I spent a few hours the other night looking around the web and thats how i came about picking those trucks. I did also look for some chevys and gmc's but i couldnt come across with that engine and transmission package. Im taking that as a good sign because ford and dodge trucks are everywhere for sale. I do plan on doing some of the work myself and the cost per mile isnt a concern. I plan on putting on at least 5k-6k miles on the truck per year. Thats why i dont plan to spend some high dollars on a truck but i dont want to go cheap either because i strongly beleive that you get what you pay for. Something thats known to be reliable and can tow 10k-13k pounds 8 times a year will be perfect for me. But I will keep an eye out for a duramax.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline Jorge

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »
Neil,

I sent the seller a message asking him if he could send me a copy of the maintenance records. Still waiting for his reply, if he does come through would it be okay if you have a look through them also and see if theres anything out of the ordinary.

Offline Jorge

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2011, 10:20:19 PM »
Saltfever,

Check this page out and let me know if the price is right for a duramax like this.
http://www.adpost.com/us/vehicles/607906/

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:23:12 PM by Jorge »

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 01:53:12 AM »
Jorge: an on-line appraisal is next to impossible. The truck probably cost $45k-$55K when new. The mileage claimed has averaged about 27,000 per year. That is a lot. Some folks will say that is good because it is probably all highway miles. Maybe so but they are probably all “working” miles towing something. Doubtful you would be “commuting” with an empty load that many miles per year in a dully. The factory warrantee on power train is 100,000. Did the owner trade it in before something serious is needed?  Sorry, but I have been “out of the market” and not looking the past few years. And my on-line appraisal would be way off base for many reasons. My layman’s guess is that configuration, and year could go $15K-$25K depending on oh so many variables that are too much to list in email. Also, it is an out-of state truck in Texas. Better check with DMV because there is a heavy penalty ($1K-$2K?) for bringing in a 49 state creature. However, maybe since it is a diesel and “if” the OEM version met 50 state emissions the CA DMV may give you a pass. I don’t know but for sure, you better check with DMV about out-of-state vehicles.
This is my last post for the next 9 or 10 days. All the best and GOOD LUCK!

Offline Jorge

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 02:40:06 AM »
I'll check with the d.m.v on those things. No problem on not posting back right away. Thanks for all your input.

Fulltrack

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »
Jorge,

Fords::   Stick with the 2001 and older with the 7.3L V8s.  Stay away from the 6.0Ls unless they have prof that a Ford Dealer has fixed the heads and EGR issues.  Gonna be hard to find one with 120k or less milage.  Horrible turning radius. (Easier to turn a Aircraft Carrier)  Prices range from $10k to $18k.

This is an unfortunate piece of information that needs to stop being recycled.  Ford has done less warranty work on the 6.0 than the 7.3.  The 6.0 is a vt365 that international used in many trucks for many years and continues to give great service.  They need to be treated somewhat atypically for a diesel, they are are by far the best diesel engine put in a ford truck in terms of performance, gas milage and longevity.  You must change the oil and you must drive it long enough to get to operating temp and you must drive them fairly hard.  The head problem comes from silly people putting tuners on them, cold starting then blasting down the road a full boost.  Start with 2005+, do the research and get one that is not beat, you'll have a great truck all around.

Offline jww36

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2011, 01:25:13 PM »
Jorge;
I think it's a little more then what you want to spend, but the local Chevy dealer loaned me a 2004 DuraMax Crewcab 3500 dually with 70,000 total miles on it for Speedweek. Pulled my 8,000 pound tow hauler like it wasn't there. Has the fifth wheel in bed if wanted, or not. Absolutely perfect inside. Has bed liner. $22K will buy it. Here in Costa Mesa.
John
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:38:14 PM by jww36 »

Offline Jorge

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 02:02:02 AM »
John,
         Ive been starting to notice that in order to get something that is reliable enough to do some heavy towing my price range has to go up. So 22k actually sounds good for those options. For the first couple of years i think I'm going to use my truck with an open trailer, nothing fancy. Ive had now for 6 years and have never had a problem with it. Towed about 7k pounds last year when i moved out here from Colorado, didn't have trouble going over the Rockies, just a bit slow. Its capable of towing 10k pounds just have to make a few upgrades. Thanks so much for letting me know about a great deal on a truck.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:17:30 AM by Jorge »