Author Topic: Help on buying a used diesel truck  (Read 18991 times)

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
Help on buying a used diesel truck
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:45:22 AM »
I'm looking into purchasing a ford 250 or 350 superduty for towing purposes. The primary use will be to tow a full car trailer with tools, spare parts etc, including a 32 roadster to El Mirage 6 times a year and to Bonneville twice a year and putting at least 3500 miles on the truck per year. Diesel trucks are somewhat new for me and I'm wanting to know what should I look for as for actual engine mileage, towing capacity and other critical areas? If any one with experience can give me some good starting pointers in what to look for, it will help me out a lot, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:45:04 AM by Jorge »
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline martysmilt

• New folks
Re: Help on buying a used diesel truck
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:57:22 AM »
Some of the "Newer" trucks have particulate filters to keep the ash from combustion out of the air.  The problem with the filter is they burn fuel to clean the darn thing.  They burn a lot of fuel because of the EPA idiots writing rules with no knowledge of the technology.  It would appear that a lot of lobbying from interested parties really screws up the works.  I know of one instance where a truck (08' F250) went from 13 MPG highway to 22 MPG (when used as a commuter not towing).  The computer chip used is not street legal but does the job on fuel consumption reduction. 

I personally do not own a diesel truck so can't be of much help.  I know the newer trucks get poor mileage in stock form.

see you on the salt!
Marty

Offline Jorge

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 06:56:39 AM »
Martysmilt
  I'm not to concerned with gas mileage because it wont be used as a daily driver but thanks for that bit of knowledge. I should've said odometer reading, what type of vehicle do you use for towing? My daily driver is a 06 5.4l f150 and I really dont want to depend on that for towing and getting around town.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline jww36

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:37:12 AM »
Jorge,
Email me. I have a truck for you.
John

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:21:44 AM »

We're on our second diesel truck for general use and towing to and from race events.  We have our second Duramax (GM diesel) - and are satisfied very much.  Of the three name brands of trucks, the Dodge, with Cummins diesel, is the noisiest, the Ford Powerstroke the middle unit, and the Duramax the quietest (at least form the outside.  I haven't ridden in anything but the D-max).  That alone is worth quite a bit to us.

We get about 22-24 mpg in daily driving around home in the summertime and about 19 in the winter when we're in 4WD for months at a time.  When we tow the race trailer we get in the 14.5 - 15.5 range.  The rig total scales at 13,300 - 14,000#, depending on what's in the trailer (we drove across a scale last week to check once more).  I don't complain about our fuel economy.  I offer one caveat about economy -- we drive at or below the speed limit always.  If you want better mileage -- KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF THE THROTTLE!!!

Our first diesel was traded in at 250,000 miles because I wanted a new truck before the diesel engine fluid additive became required -- so we've got an '09.  The '04 that we traded was fine -- no loss of performace, no increase in oil consumption.  I had carefully changed the oil, which was Rotella 5W40 synthetic, every 25,000 - 30,000 miles (no error there).  I change filter halfway between oil changes. 

Don't be afraid to ask for maintenance records.  If the engine looks to have lived a good life -- go ahead, get one.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »
If you're  stuck on purchasing a Ford and you are thinking of purchasing used, be very careful. The used 6.0L engines can be dinomite. Failed head gaskets can cost you between 6-8K to repair as the cab generally has to be lifted off to change them. If the truck has head studs installed then chances are the head gaskets have already been changed. You can't go wrong with a used Duramax but try to stay newer then '05. The early LB7 engine which was up to 2004.5 was troublesome with the injectors and sealing, but the other engine models LLY, LBZ and LMM are all much better.

Offline bak189

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »
If you want a diesel truck without all the computer BS....go shopping for a early Dodge (1991) with a 5 speed manual shift......25 miles to gallon solo....18 miles to gallon with big trailer......mine now has
over 450000 miles in it.....only a water pump and alternator todate....2 Batt.......2 brake jobs.....3 set of tires......Great truck...
Question authority.....always

Offline Jorge

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »
Seldom Seen Slim

Very informative thanks a lot, now i can start looking for something with a bit of high mileage on it. For the amount of miles and weight i plan to put on per year i think something in the 120k range might be right for me. Whats a good price range for a diesel with that kind of mileage? Thanks

Offline Jorge

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 09:59:55 PM »
Dmax65

Thanks for letting me know about the head gasket problems, I'll keep that in mind when I'm out looking around or asking on the web. I'm not stuck on getting a ford but that's my first choice, but im looking for power and dependability and if that takes me in a different direction other than a ford than thats okay. I'll look for more info on the duramax diesel. Thanks for your help.

Offline Jorge

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 10:09:01 PM »
bak189

That's very impressive, I'm keeping my options open to all makes but would prefer a ford. I'll do some research on an early dodge like yours. Thanks for reaching out.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 11:55:54 PM »
I think you have to smog diesels 90 or 93 and newer  in Calf now. I would check before I buy any thing in ca again

Offline salt27

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »
If you want a diesel truck without all the computer BS....go shopping for a early Dodge (1991) with a 5 speed manual shift......25 miles to gallon solo....18 miles to gallon with big trailer......mine now has
over 450000 miles in it.....only a water pump and alternator todate....2 Batt.......2 brake jobs.....3 set of tires......Great truck...
3 sets of tires in 450,000 miles on a diesel, I'm impressed.

Offline Jorge

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 12:28:07 AM »
mkilger,

I was on a diesel forum and came across smog checks for diesels in California. Its 98 and newer and it passed in Jan 2010, one of those guys said a tech told him that they dont much to test them. I quess its another way for California to make money.

Offline BackwoodsBoy

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 01:02:39 AM »
Jorge,

Fords::   Stick with the 2001 and older with the 7.3L V8s.  Stay away from the 6.0Ls unless they have prof that a Ford Dealer has fixed the heads and EGR issues.  Gonna be hard to find one with 120k or less milage.  Horrible turning radius. (Easier to turn a Aircraft Carrier)  Prices range from $10k to $18k.

Dodge::  2002 to 2006 are the best years of the 5.9L.  All transmissions are good.  More power than the Fords.  Motors will go 200k+ miles without any worry.  Trucks fall apart long before engine goes.   Prices range from $12k to $30k.

Chevy:: Anything with a Duramax and Allison are good(2001 - 2011).  Usually costs more than a Dodge or Ford.  Not sure why this is???    Prices range from $12k to $45k.

I have a 2004 Dodge with a six speed manual and LOVE it!!!!

My 2 Pennies!!

Steve

Offline Jorge

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 01:21:25 AM »
Steve,

That was some good 2 pennies! Thanks so much.