Author Topic: NO CAMPING INSIDE THE BEND IN THE ROAD!!!  (Read 19337 times)

Offline oldrodder

Re: NO CAMPING INSIDE THE BEND IN THE ROAD!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »
 :?  What about the bend in the road gang?  Where they be?
if it has an engine, i like it

Offline salt27

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »
I don't know about the "bend in the road gang", but the "end of the road gang" relocated last year do to urban sprawl. :wink:

Don

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 10:33:36 PM »
Mike -- remember that map is for ALTERNATIVE sites -- the Bend in the Road still appears to be open.

And I believe the camping at Road's End is supposed to be only for Lynda's crew.

Yes, we can and you're right, it's just for me and my crew, in fact some of them will be at the Bend as well.

Don't panic guys....everything will be fine, just finish getting ready and come on!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 10:57:15 AM »
Other forums with interest in Bonneville and camping at Roads Bend have picked up 'portions' of these camping changes. I have posted the following on one site in hopes of clarifying the changes. If further adjustments need to be made, please advise me here or by PM so I can pass on any updates.

Burly

Clarification ! ! ! !

"ONLY" the gravel pad on the inside of the corner at Roads Bend is restricted !  All the camping areas on the lake bed surrounding the raised gravel pad are still open to unlimted camping. The two areas shown on the overview map are 'alternate' camping areas open to those folks not wanting to camp on the lake bed surrounding the gravel pad.

It is unfortunate that the wording of this minor change has not been more clear and is causing some confusion for those who enjoy both the convenience and social activities at the Roads Bend camping area. I am leaving for Speedweek early Saturday morning AND WILL BE CAMPING at Roads Bend just off the raised pad that night. I will let you know if any problems arise from this adjustment but I do not expect any. The porta potties will also be relocated just off of the pad but will be available.

The reason for this change is concern for the safety of folks driving around the bend and encountering vehicles or people entering or crossing the road from the pad as it's view from the incoming road is blocked when motorhomes and trailers are present. The BLM, with support from the SCTA/BNI, feels removing these large vehicles from the pad will reduce the possiblity of a an accident and injury.

I hope this clarifies the camping situation at Roads Bend.

See you on the salt.....................

Burly

Offline Tman

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 05:33:23 PM »
I had to clarify this to a couple folks on the HAMB

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »
There are two toilets just off the gravel on the inside of the bend.  And there are two toilets inside the bend but on the far side of the ditch.  And there are two toilets on the outside of the bend and to the side of the road that heads up into the hills.  The garbage rolloff is on the dirt just below the gravel pad.  Everything is accessible - and everything is located where the BLM and law enforcement folks want it to be for safety.

Camping is allowed everyplace except on the gravel pad - both inside the corner and outside.  No restrictions - but room is going fast, so hurry.  There were a half dozen or so there this morning -- and about thirty this afternoon.  I expect that by this time tomorrow there'll be a few hundred.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
There are two toilets just off the gravel on the inside of the bend.  And there are two toilets inside the bend but on the far side of the ditch.  And there are two toilets on the outside of the bend and to the side of the road that heads up into the hills.  The garbage rolloff is on the dirt just below the gravel pad.  Everything is accessible - and everything is located where the BLM and law enforcement folks want it to be for safety.

Camping is allowed everyplace except on the gravel pad - both inside the corner and outside.  No restrictions - but room is going fast, so hurry.  There were a half dozen or so there this morning -- and about thirty this afternoon.  I expect that by this time tomorrow there'll be a few hundred.

Thanx Jon for the update. Please save me a space.......................

Burly

Offline Tman

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 11:37:42 PM »
There really was no camping after Sundays DELUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lost my tent, found the floor of a pals hotel room. Almost could not get the truck out.

How dry was it come morning? I had to leave early so I bugged out when I thought I would the least impact on the mudflat, not like the idots in teh Bug and on Quads.  :x

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 12:23:40 AM »
Has it dried out at all?  I'm at the KOA for Tuesday night, but the plan was Wed/Thursday at the bend. 

Will I be using my inflatable mattress as a life raft?  :roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 12:37:03 AM »
It was greasy slippery sticky Sunday night as we left after Salt Talks.  I had the truck in 4WD and was sliding around but got out with no issues.  This morning we stopped to get the trailer - and the traction was much better, but still like driving on Crisco.  No issues getting the trailer, but I still collected lots of mud on my shoes.

This evening we stopped at the location again, to get the grill we had left out -- and while still damp, there wasn't much of a traction issue.  It's pretty good -- but not dusty dry yet.  Chris, I think you'll have mo trouble finding a place to camp.  If nothing else -- head up the hill a bit and it'll be just dandy, I betcha, hey?

Come find us someplace while you're here.  Our pit is about five or six from the main pit entrance, and the front row, right next to the White Goose Bar trailer.  Easy to find us -- 'cept that we're planning on making at least one, maybe two, runs before lunch (when Nancy reports to the sales trailer for her 4-hour shift).  While she's there I usually hang out around our pit or visit close-in ones.  The pit bike won't run - so I haven't been exploring all over the place.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com