Author Topic: NO CAMPING INSIDE THE BEND IN THE ROAD!!!  (Read 19338 times)

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
Re: NO CAMPING INSIDE THE BEND IN THE ROAD!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
There are reasons for calling it Dead Mans Corner.

FREUD

As a long time camper on the gravel pad on the 'inside' of the bend in the road(since 1978), I do not recall ever seeing or hearing of an accident with the exception of the three fellows from Scandanavia who beelined it going westbound off the 'outside' of the corner while inebriated after leaving the salt one afternoon a couple of decades(or more) ago. They flew into the ditch as I recall. My onsite observations are that 'most' folks realize there is congestion and a rather tight corner there and slow accordingly.

I would worry more about all the campers on the drylake being stuck should a healthy rain hit the bend.

Burly

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 11:11:31 PM »
It's there rule and we all need to obey it' Stirring up anything with the BLM is not a good idea.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

• Age 70
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 11:58:33 PM »
It's there rule and we all need to obey it' Stirring up anything with the BLM is not a good idea.

Not saying to swim upstream, I just do not understand the reasoning Glen. Like you say, our relationship with the BLM is always tenuous, so better safe than sorry.

Burly

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 01:26:44 AM »
Burly,

I can recall at least two times when I had to jump on the brakes because some idiot came off the pad on the backside of the bend. Like the signs on the back of big rigs - "If you can't see me, I can't see you."

I am for this new rule.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

• Age 70
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 01:44:32 AM »
Burly,

I can recall at least two times when I had to jump on the brakes because some idiot came off the pad on the backside of the bend. Like the signs on the back of big rigs - "If you can't see me, I can't see you."

I am for this new rule.

DW

Sounds like most folks on this forum agree with you DW. I had not read anything contrary in the previous posts and just wanted to give voice to what may be an unheard segment of the discussion, those folks who have camped there since the old Bonneville Cruise In days in the early eighties where we originally camped at " Road End" until our growing numbers began to cause crowding with the security and entry crews and we were asked to relocate to "the Bend".

I might suggest relocating the courtesy Porta Pottie(s) from the pad to the dirt lakebed to discourage folks from setting up camp on the pad or making a "brief visit" which would cause a similar safety concern senario.

Burly

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »
I've spent a good handful of time in the past week or so working with the BLM and SCTA folks to make the toilets and garbage rolloff be where they should be for safety.  Rather than go into a description here (we're on the interstate in North Dakota and typing isn't all that easy) -- the equipment will be where all feel it needs to be for best safety first - and convenience second.  That, however, doesn't mean that strewing garbage any ol' place is okay - please make the trek to the rolloffs to dump your waste, and to the toilets to void (nice word, isn't it?).

The potties arrive Wednesday and the garbage containers on Thursday.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 10:28:40 AM »
I agree Slim, "void" has a cleanliness about it that "crap" could never espire to.
  Sid.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »
I think Kiwi humor is more funnier than British humor.   :-D

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Tman

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
I think Kiwi humor is more funnier than British humor.   :-D

Steve

Thats because they are upside down!

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »

Okay, I just got back from Land's End, well, 5 minutes ago anyway.  There are signs posted surrounding the gravel pad at about 10 foot intervals.  All the signs say the same thing....

REMEMBER, THIS ON THE PAD ONLY!!!!!

one hour parking, No camping, No Fireworks....

Also, remember, I am unofficial, as DW keeps saying go to the Official SCTA website for the official word.
Anyway there are a lot of people out there because they are launching rockets and lots of motorcycles headed to/from Sturgis!!

Okay, that's it for me, I've got to finish all my stuff so that I can get to Land's End in the morning.

See you on the salt!!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline mkilger

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 06:04:29 PM »
Linda look at the map on the SCTA  web site; http://www.scta-bni.org/pdf/2011%20SpeedWeek%20Camping%20areas.pdf

Offline mkilger

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
Linda can you camp at the end were you do  anymore?? :|

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »
Mike -- remember that map is for ALTERNATIVE sites -- the Bend in the Road still appears to be open.

And I believe the camping at Road's End is supposed to be only for Lynda's crew.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline mkilger

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »
alternative sites oh just checking :wink:  thanks Stan  Roadsters ready to go Stan?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 06:45:46 PM »
Like you said, Mike, next year.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records