Author Topic: NO CAMPING INSIDE THE BEND IN THE ROAD!!!  (Read 19466 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
NO CAMPING INSIDE THE BEND IN THE ROAD!!!
« on: August 05, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »
I'm modifying what I said earlier -- because I've just been notified by BLM that camping at the bend is allowed after all.  The BLM doesn't want, and has posted signs saying so -- no camping will be allowed on ONLY the gravel pad at the inside of the bend at the very corner.  All other area is available and is BLM land, not Intrepid's as I earlier stated.  It turns out that the information I got was incorrect.

Nancy and I are packing to leave tomorrow morning dark and early -- so can't be here all of the time this evening.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:23:15 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: NO CAMPING INSIDE THE BEND IN THE ROAD!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
It's obvious they don't like the idea of being seen as the bad guy in the whole loss of salt thing so they have stepped up with the big FU stick. I wasn't planning on bringing a tent but I plan to pick one up on the way down now so I can put it up in the middle of the night.
 So how come the BLM & the Sherriff Dep were policeing Intrepid Property last year??
  Sid.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »
The Race Director will be there tomorrow and get the official word.  Let's all wait until we're sure what we are talking about.  Jon, I know you tried to do the right thing, and did, but let's withhold judgement until we get the official word.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:25:19 PM »
Jon, your green addendum is still very confusing? Camping only right at the bend not spread out in the general area?

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
It is ONLY the gravel pad at the bend that you can't camp.  There were too many close calls and accidents right there, so BLM said no more.

One of my security people is out there now and told me that it is only...only...only...the gravel pad at the bend, every place else around there is fine.

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:42:40 PM »
Thanks Lynda! I will copy this to the HAMB, news even wrong news spreads like wildfire!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 09:10:37 PM »
Whew . . . I just about soiled myself.  I had a vision of myself propped up and face down in front of a slot machine trying to look awake, my alarm on my cell phone going off every 15 minutes to drop another nickle so I don't get rousted.

Lynda, our angel on the ground, thanks for the clarification.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »
IF, and I mean IF, that's what it is, it makes sense.  It's packed so close up to the road that's it's hard to see someone entering, especially when you're negotiating the turn.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »
I have had several close calls on that turn with guys pulling on to the road without looking. It does make sense to keep that area clear to avoid a big collision.  Tony 
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 10:27:03 PM »
My earlier post noting that camping would not be allowed at the B I R has been modified to show that it's okay after all, as have the story on the home page of the site.  We now return control of your lives to you.  (remember the old TV show - "The Outer Limits"?)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 12:05:02 AM »
It's packed so close up to the road that's it's hard to see someone entering, especially when you're negotiating the turn.

And that is EXACTLY why they put the sign up!
Remember our unwritten rule #1..... Safety FIRST!  We know where the road goes, but there are thousands of people coming out that are trying to follow a map on an unfamiliar road, with a blind turn that has a blocked view from all the campers.  At least they put the sign up before someone got seriously injured or worse instead doing it after the fact!  Huh, fancy that!

Lynda

Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:10 AM »
Ok, I feel all better now!  :evil: :-D :-D

Offline Bret Kepner

• Bret Kepner Photos
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 01:10:07 AM »
Sounds like an excellent idea; it has been pretty scary down the the past few years.
Bret Kepner
BRETKEPNER@Prodigy.net
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

Offline Freud

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 01:26:17 AM »
There are reasons for calling it Dead Mans Corner.

FREUD
Since '63