Author Topic: Need rule clarification on head restraint please  (Read 7946 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Need rule clarification on head restraint please
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:48:47 PM »
I am purchasing a head restraint from a reputable source. However they are waiting for SFI 38.1 approval on the restraint, On their website, it states that its acceptable at SCTA/Bonneville. My question is this: Will it be allowed with out the approval? The salesman said they have already sold 150 of them to Bonneville racers. I just don't want to make a huge mistake and get told nope sorry. BTW I am racing at WOS so I have a little more time to purchase.

TIA
Clay 
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline JR529

Re: Need rule clarification on head restraint please
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 01:08:29 PM »
I am purchasing a head restraint from a reputable source. However they are waiting for SFI 38.1 approval on the restraint, On their website, it states that its acceptable at SCTA/Bonneville. My question is this: Will it be allowed with out the approval? The salesman said they have already sold 150 of them to Bonneville racers. I just don't want to make a huge mistake and get told nope sorry. BTW I am racing at WOS so I have a little more time to purchase.

TIA
Clay 

If you are talking about the DJ Safety Unit then you are good to go.

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »
That is the one, thank you for responding. I was not sure If I could mention the store or the site or not.

Thank you again,
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »
Keep in mind that future rules may require a SFI rated H&NR device.  I keep hearing that DJ is sending his device back through again for testing because it failed the first time but I've been hearing this for months now.  I used to believe that it'd be a sure fire pass on the next time through but now I don't know what to think.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 11:45:04 PM »
For that very reason I bought a Hans from one of the advertisers in the SCTA Rulebook...........Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:36:28 AM »
Not sure how I missed this one, but my DJ head and neck restraint has an SFI tag right on it.

It may not have met with their approval at some point, but it's certified now, and has been for a while.

Yes, I too wish they would update the site to reflect that, if they haven't already (I didn't check before posting this).
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »
Just to clarify, are you talking about a Defender h&nr device (similar looking to a HANS) that you purchased from DJ Safety or are you talking about the $399 strap setup that uses a horse collar that's actually manufactured by DJ Safety?  If Joe's $399 setup got certified recently I would have thought us tech guys would have at least heard about it.  After all, Joe was working with us in tech nearly all week.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:19:10 PM »
Curious as well, laydown position here. Looking at options.

Nate, thanks for letting me look over your shoulder! I ended up with 416, Tims Unibody and got teh whole enchilada as far as running a car. Sorry I missed you in the rookie deal tho.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 10:56:01 PM »
Not sure how I missed this one, but my DJ head and neck restraint has an SFI tag right on it.

It may not have met with their approval at some point, but it's certified now, and has been for a while.

Yes, I too wish they would update the site to reflect that, if they haven't already (I didn't check before posting this).

That's strange, it wasn't certified the week before Speedweek!

I think Nathan's probably on the right track- you bought a certified device from Joe, but not the device Joe makes....
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Online johnneilson

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »
Post a picture of the SFI tag.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.