Author Topic: Production class motorcycle passenger seat  (Read 4451 times)

Offline gfisher

• New folks
Production class motorcycle passenger seat
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:03:20 PM »
Hoping some of you motorcycle guys out there can help me out.  What is the standard for production class motorcycles regarding the passenger seat?  This is on my nephew's GSXR1000 with the passenger seat separate from the driver seat.  Are you allowed to replace the passenger seat with the OEM (at least I think it's OEM) plastic fairing/cover?  I've gone through the rulebook, and I didn't see anything specific on this.
Thanks in advance,
Gary
#272 C/GMR

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Production class motorcycle passenger seat
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
We got a Production record a few years ago with the hard plastic passenger seat in place.  I therefore vote for "Yes, you may race with it in place".  And probably without it, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
Gary, where are you running? I do ECTA and Bub.

Bub rule book says 'Production class motorcycles shall not be modified from Original Equipment at time of
manufacture. i.e., frame, forks, gas and oil tanks, seat, front and rear lighting, fenders, wheels, brakes, air intake box and (unmodified) exhaust system.

Ecta says 'shall be equipped with full lighting equipment, frame, forks,wheels, brakes, gas and oil tank (if OEM), fenders and seat. The motorcycle must appear identical in all respects to the production model it represents'

Both groups require manufacturers documentation so they can compare to your bike.

If you are running for a record make sure your bike looks exactly like the pics in your documentation, repainting does not disqualify you though. There are some minor things you can do, check the rule book for exceptions.

Hope this helps
Bob
It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
If it came from the factory with a plastic "hump" that can be used in place of a passenger seat then it is legal for production class.

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 11:37:17 AM »
That is correct, key is did it come from factory and is it documented.
Bob

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:00:25 PM »
There is a “rule clarification” posted on the SCTA site (http://scta-bni.org/pdf/MotorcycleRuleClarifications.pdf) that addresses this;

7.E Factory installed options are acceptable. Distributor or Dealer installed OEM options & accessories are NOT acceptable.

In essence this means that an accessory that is only available as a “Factory only” installed item will be legal to run, i.e. anti-lock brakes, etc. Any accessory, OEM or otherwise, that can be installed by a dealer or owner is not allowed.

This means that the passenger seat cowl on most bikes is not allowed. Some bikes came with the seat cowl installed and the passenger seat had to be purchased as a separate part. This would make the seat illegal to run.

It will be the responsibility of the bike owner/rider to provide documentation of any “factory only” installed option if it is questioned or protested.

JW
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »
Thanks JW

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »
Our ZX14 bikes arrived from the dealership with the plastic cover in place -- but removable by taking out a few screws, exposing the soft seat (already installed but covered).  Both versions are legal, I surmise.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 02:39:22 PM »
The 2011 ZX14 would be legal with the rear seat cowl because it is shown as a “standard” part of the motorcycle in their literature. (I didn’t look at older models). The 2011 GSX-R 1000 looks like it would also be OK. Here is their ad info (A tailsection cover is also included for solo rides or track days). The 2011 Yamaha R1 would not be accepted with a rear seat cowl because the bike comes with a rear seat as standard equipment and the cowl is listed as a separate accessory.

You would need to supply a sales brochure or some “official” documentation to state that any accessory is offered as “Standard” equipment.

Welcome to the world of Production bike racing.
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »
Indeed -- that's why, as Production class entrants, we carry the complete Owner's Manual - and try to have the sales literature handy, too.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gfisher

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 11:51:12 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for all the informative replies.  The bike is a 2003 model, and we'll be running it at WoS.  I'll make sure we dig up the owner's manual and do a little homework to find out if the seat fairing is factory OEM or dealer installed OEM.
Thanks,
Gary
#272 C/GMR

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 08:43:12 AM »
Good luck Gary

I bet your one little question would generate so many responses.

Bob