Author Topic: Driver Compartment - Fire System Nozzle Placement  (Read 12686 times)

Offline BoredAndStroked

Driver Compartment - Fire System Nozzle Placement
« on: August 02, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »
Hey Gang:   Setting up the last aspects of the FlatCad car and need to know where you guys put the driver fire system nozzle . . .  as I've done it with road-race cars, but never built a BVille car.   

We have a 10 lb system - will have one 180 degree driver nozzle and two over the headers in engine compartment.   I was going to install ours next to the driver (on the right side lower cage or floor) . . . and have it set to spray to the middle of the body.   Obviously you can bend the aluminum tube and change the direction, was just wondering from practical experience where you guys put them, and where you direct them (at the driver).    On our road-race cars we have about 4" of flexible aluminum tubing past the mount point - so we can bend/set the angle . . . the nozzle head is NOT fastened down.

Thanks again . . . much appreciate the help you're giving a BVille newbie!

B&S
Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline DallasV

Re: Driver Compartment - Fire System Nozzle Placement
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 03:36:28 PM »
Ours is near the firewall between the drivers legs aiming right at the "boys" if you know what I mean. Sounds like your close to that.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
On my road-race mustang, it is to the right of the driver - kind of above the shifter location on the driveshaft tunnel - sticks up about 4 inches and sprays mid-body.   The does not mean this approach is "correct" of will pass tech at BVille.
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »
You MAY have a problem with using only one BIG fire bottle for both engine and drivers compartment.

I am not 100% sure, but just tossing this out as an FYI...

You need one bottle for engine fire and one for drivers compartment (activated with separate controls)  The reason for this is the discharge rate..

also imagine this you are at the 3 mile mark and boom the engine blows and fire flares up.. you pull your system and all the agent discharges to the engine and all over you and the interior... then before you get stopped it flares up again !!!..

Now with 2 systems,, same thing,, but you pull the engine fire bottle, puts out fire while you are getting stopped,,, if the fire flares up again.... not you can pull the interior fire bottles if needed...

Just my thoughts,,,,  more nozzels on one big bottle shortens the discharge rate and most likely the fire is not in both areas at the same time,, if it is pull the other system and get out,,

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:28:31 PM »
You MAY have a problem with using only one BIG fire bottle for both engine and drivers compartment.

I am not 100% sure, but just tossing this out as an FYI...

Charles

I believe we are fine up to 200 mph?  If we are over 200 MPH, then I believe we'd need 2 bottles . . .   

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »
What type of system do you have...gas or aqueous foam??? It makes a difference!
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »
What type of system do you have...gas or aqueous foam??? It makes a difference!

DJ Safety - what they call 'cold fire foam' . . .

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 08:15:40 PM »
Mine is the same as Dallas. Are you going to be in C/CGALT? Running on  245 record? Don't you have to build for the record? I have a 5 and a 10. First one is split between me and the engine. Second one is "Forget the car, I want out."           

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 08:41:45 PM »
Mine is the same as Dallas. Are you going to be in C/CGALT? Running on  245 record? Don't you have to build for the record? I have a 5 and a 10. First one is split between me and the engine. Second one is "Forget the car, I want out."           

Good point.Get a dedicated one for the driver , just a small one. Then you know you'll pass tech. When you're upside down, and you can't get out it'd be nice to have something to bide the time because chances are you won't be parked next to the fire truck.

we have two tens.
1./ "I think the car is on fire"( harder to tell in a mid engined car with no side mirrors)
2./ I AM on fire
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 08:55:27 PM »
There are three company's that do aqueous foam. If foam, you MUST NOT have nozzles aimed at driver or windshield. One of the things I have learned from a " Fire Engineer" is that you should not just add nozzles...a properly engineered system that meets the SFI Spec of how much product is dispensed in the required time relies on a specific number of nozzles and do not use other manufactures parts as they have different flow rates...it just YOUR life that depends on it. Ask your manufacturer only.

As for as one big tank or two small ones, the guy I rep for suggests that we fire all the systems at once to cover the job before it gets big.

Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 09:20:08 PM »
 "I think the car is on fire"( harder to tell in a mid engined car with no side mirrors)

Amen to that, Dr. And with a mid or rear-engine car, you are the last to know that you're on fire. I burned down a Porsche 911 that way.  :oops:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »
Haha! Thanks for all the answers guys!

Dale, Here's my answer, after talking with everyone, including DJ Safety, when I bought the system.

A bottle with 10 lbs agent, with 1 nozzle on the driver, and two on the engine, is good up to 200 mph.The system was engineered this way, we didn't change it.

That is all we need for XXO/BVGCC!

The fact that we are switching, and running the SBC won't effect us, because we won't run in a class. All we are trying to do is make sure the car will pass tech for /BVGCC. In addition, we want to shake the car down, and get licenses.

So, after all is said and done, we'll be running 'time only' this trip. I've been we should be able to do this, and have a 'speed limit' imposed upon us.

Now, if I'm wrong on something, please speak up guys!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:56:07 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 10:08:06 PM »
I would want a back up of at least 5#.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 11:24:40 PM »
Charles ,

Thanx for forwarding your "THREE MILE EXPERIENCE"
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline old chevy truck

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 11:28:57 PM »
" I believe we are fine up to 200 mph?  If we are over 200 MPH, then I believe we'd need 2 bottles . . . "

I have not seen what class you plan on running. I hope you know you need too build to the record in that class. You wrote about intercoolers and dry sump. That sound like a serious build. So check the record and build to that record. Otherwise, you may be limited to time only (actually speed) and it may be a lot lower restricted speed than you hoped for. Its a long drive from Ohio to be limited to 150mph.