Author Topic: LSR Subaru attempt  (Read 17780 times)

dwarner

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 09:13:23 PM »
Yes

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 07:52:26 AM »
More update pics:

Yesterday I removed the twisted crossmember and control arms:

And replaced them with new goodies straight from Subaru:

Also, thanks to our body shop mixing up a little basecoat for me, I colored in all the structural sheet metal that we had replaced; radiator support, frame rail, inner fender, etc.

Hopefully we will have it ready for paint within a couple of weeks! :D

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 09:49:57 PM »
Got the body parts back from the painter and put on for test fitting.  Came out pretty darn good considering what we started with.  

Now we have to put the stock drivetrain back in and get the NC-DMV to come out and inspect it to give us a title for it.  Hopefully we will be starting on the caging, cell, etc. within a couple of weeks!
 :D

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 08:33:05 AM »
Quote from: deadbolt

Got the refurbished nose fitted this weekend. :D

With lights and other goodies:

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »
Well, started gutting it out this weekend:

QuikWgn

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 12:14:04 AM »
Hey Dead...Saw the nosejob over @ Nasioc and it looks pretty sweet.  Me...I'm just getting ready to go find the candidate for my project after Labor Day.   My handle here is the same as @ NASIOC so just search for North America's Quickest Wagon and get caught up.  When do you figure you'll be ready for a LSR attempt? I figure the groundbreaking nature of my project will put build time for my self-financed venture @ 18 months.  Stuff like the custom Surgetank/Intake plenum will take Hogan's awhile since they have a lot of flowtesting and calculations to do for a one off manifold.  At least we won't be in the same competition class so that'll keep things a little more mellow especially since we are so opposite, with you on the East coast with a gas Sedan, and me on the West coast with a Methanol Wagon. Good Luck to ya man!!!

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »
Quote from: QuikWgn
Hey Dead...Saw the nosejob over @ Nasioc and it looks pretty sweet.  Me...I'm just getting ready to go find the candidate for my project after Labor Day.   My handle here is the same as @ NASIOC so just search for North America's Quickest Wagon and get caught up.  When do you figure you'll be ready for a LSR attempt? I figure the groundbreaking nature of my project will put build time for my self-financed venture @ 18 months.  Stuff like the custom Surgetank/Intake plenum will take Hogan's awhile since they have a lot of flowtesting and calculations to do for a one off manifold.  At least we won't be in the same competition class so that'll keep things a little more mellow especially since we are so opposite, with you on the East coast with a gas Sedan, and me on the West coast with a Methanol Wagon. Good Luck to ya man!!!

Eek!  I've been spotted!!! :lol:

We have run into a couple of road blocks here, we were shooting to have the car ready for Maxton in late October, but it looks like it might not happen.  We might thrash on it over the winter to get it ready for some SCCA SPO competition for spring time then to Bonneville for September '07.

Offline aspera

• New folks
LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 09:54:04 AM »
Fellow Nasioc-er here.  I'll be at Bonneville '07.  Anything I can do to help?  Need a gopher?

2006 was my first trip to Bonneville.  It won't be my last. :D

EDIT:  I found this link that might interest Subaru folk.  The SVX looks pretty slippery.

http://www.mayfco.com/subaru.htm

QuikWgn

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 05:29:40 PM »
I considered an SVX w/ its Cd of .29, but it would require a lot more fab work in my opinion to retrofit my choice of powertrains, caging the wagon will be MUCH easier than an SVX, and there is a lot you can do in the modified production/altered classes to make a WRX (only has a Cd of .33 stock for sedan AND wagon http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2004.html ) more slippery (why I chose a wagon + rear downforce is easier to control ie a 1" wickerbill on the trailing edge of the wagons roof vs the same on the sedan's trunk) plus the weight of a stripped down WRX(3160 curb weight for Wagons) is less than an SVX(3580lbs curb weight) would be, though I'm giving up the stability of the SVX's longer wheelbase of 102.8" vs 99.4" for the WRX .

Offline aspera

• New folks
LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 07:50:01 PM »
It sounds like you put some thought into it.  Have you seen SubiGal's roll cage in her rally car?  There's lots of room in a wagon for straight tubing.

For stability, wouldn't the rear side window surface area help keep the car pointing forward?

The wagon has those narrow non-flared fenders, too.

Do the rules let you replace the spare tire tub with a flat plate?  I've seen that done on EasyStreet's drag car.  Can you run a skidplate like Primitive's?

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 08:16:07 AM »
Quote from: aspera

Do the rules let you replace the spare tire tub with a flat plate?  I've seen that done on EasyStreet's drag car.  Can you run a skidplate like Primitive's?

I think that would fall into non allowed mods for Production classes. :(

JohnR

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 12:11:59 PM »

I am assuming that you would be doing this to clean up the aero under than car. If so, not only would this be illegal in Production but it would probably be illegal in Altered as well. You cant get a bellypan untill to go to Comp Coupe. The question is if it would be considered a bellypan or a step pan.

Offline aspera

• New folks
LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 09:38:31 AM »
Does that include the factory rear diff guard? STi rear diffuser? Front splash guard?

Wouldn't removing the front U-shaped subframe clean up the aero? Do the rules allow you to take stuff off?

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 04:36:56 PM »
Does that include the factory rear diff guard? STi rear diffuser? Front splash guard?

Wouldn't removing the front U-shaped subframe clean up the aero? Do the rules allow you to take stuff off?

I think since the diff guard and front splash guard are dealer or port installed and not factory installed options they would not be allowed.

The rules won't allow much in the way of removal of parts.