Author Topic: LSR Subaru attempt  (Read 17783 times)

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« on: February 17, 2006, 08:47:11 AM »
Started working on a new project.  I have long been a fan of the Subarus.  I was actually the first one in my area to campaign one with SCCA to my knowledge.

Well we started working on building one for Maxton and perhaps even Bonneville once we get some transmission issues smoothed over.

Starting with a crashed WRX.  Here is what it looked like when I picked it up:

Looks great from the rear.

Not so good from the front :(

At the end of the first afternoon's work:

Coming back from the frame shop soon so I will try to get more pics as we start putting it back together.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Soob-a-roo
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 10:28:27 AM »
Good thing those cars are rear engined, right?  (Yeah, I know better. . .)

I see the Soobs are running 140-145 at Texas, so now you know what your target speed might be.  You will be attedning some Maxton meets while putting the car together, right, and trying to figure out how to get to the Salt once or twice too -- right?

Nancy and I look forward to meeting you -- she just got her 6th Subaru -- plain Jane no turbo sedan -- but this is an '06 with sun roof and pimp wheels (17" spoked wheels stock on a Subaru?).  She enjoys seeing others with the Soob affliction.

We'll be at the 1-2 April meet -- find us and say hi.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

deadbolt

Re: Soob-a-roo
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 11:05:08 AM »
Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim

I see the Soobs are running 140-145 at Texas, so now you know what your target speed might be.  You will be attedning some Maxton meets while putting the car together, right, and trying to figure out how to get to the Salt once or twice too -- right?

Only 140-145?  :shock:  Wow!  I've done 145 at Road Atlanta in one.  I am thinking I can snatch a good 160-170 pass at Maxton and when my gears get here I should be able to turn it up to over 200 at Bonneville.  :twisted: I still have a lot of contacts inside SOA that are quite interested in seeing the first Subie to break 200.  We will be coming down to at least 1 or 2 Maxton events this year.  Just got my membership packet and schedule.

Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim

Nancy and I look forward to meeting you -- she just got her 6th Subaru -- plain Jane no turbo sedan -- but this is an '06 with sun roof and pimp wheels (17" spoked wheels stock on a Subaru?).  She enjoys seeing others with the Soob affliction.

We'll be at the 1-2 April meet -- find us and say hi.

I have the Subie bug bad.  For example, here is one of our wedding pictures:

My car - yellow on left, wife's car blue on right.
:lol:

I will try to find the full size pics showing all 125 of the cars that were there.

JohnR

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 01:08:05 PM »
Remember, It's not that the car cant go faster than 145, it's doing it at the end of the mile from a standing start!

FYI, to go 160 at Bonneville (short course, 3rd mile average) I needed 285 HP at the crank, 230 hp at the wheels.

To go 196 at Bonneville (short course, 3rd mile average) I needed 543 hp at the wheels but the course was way bad and I have a FWD.

My body (2001 Civic) is about the same frontal area as a WRX but I would suspect it's a little cleaner aero wise.

The AWD will hurt you in the low HP runs since you will not be traction limited but as the HP climbs over 300 or so it will help alot.

Just my $0.02

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
Quote from: John Romero
Remember, It's not that the car cant go faster than 145, it's doing it at the end of the mile from a standing start!

FYI, to go 160 at Bonneville (short course, 3rd mile average) I needed 285 HP at the crank, 230 hp at the wheels.

To go 196 at Bonneville (short course, 3rd mile average) I needed 543 hp at the wheels but the course was way bad and I have a FWD.

My body (2001 Civic) is about the same frontal area as a WRX but I would suspect it's a little cleaner aero wise.

The AWD will hurt you in the low HP runs since you will not be traction limited but as the HP climbs over 300 or so it will help alot.

Just my $0.02

There's a guy in NC that hit 157 at Maxton in his Subaru WRX station wagon, also just a 1 mile.

This will be an 06 which should be a little better at cutting through the wind than the older cars.

Power won't be a problem, we are going to be in the 900 HP range when we get done.

Thanks for the input.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 10:57:21 AM »

John from those numbers with a good course I think with the 543 hp you should be good for 212 using the 8 times the hp to go twice as fast rule.  I'll be interested in seeing how close you come to that in 2006.

Hopefully you will be faster than that :D .

Deadbolt if your car is similar aero wise to John's and you can actually make 900 hp (to the rear wheels) and get it to live for 3 to 5 miles (at Bonneville), one I'll be very impressed and two you should be running about 250!!!  200 will be quite an accomplishment.

c ya, Sum

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 06:54:47 PM »
Quote from: Sumner

John from those numbers with a good course I think with the 543 hp you should be good for 212 using the 8 times the hp to go twice as fast rule.  I'll be interested in seeing how close you come to that in 2006.

Hopefully you will be faster than that :D .

Deadbolt if your car is similar aero wise to John's and you can actually make 900 hp (to the rear wheels) and get it to live for 3 to 5 miles (at Bonneville), one I'll be very impressed and two you should be running about 250!!!  200 will be quite an accomplishment.

c ya, Sum

I meant crank HP and with the all wheel drive we lose a lot more power through the driveline than 2wd cars.  If we make 900 crank, we will only be getting about 700-705 to the wheels, depending on the dyno ( I have actually seen as much as an 80 hp difference in two different dyno machines reading the same car. :shock:  )  Not sure on the aerodynamics of the two cars compared together.

LittleLiner

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 12:24:52 PM »
With all wheel drive you are limited to runnig Maxton's Street Classes or the Production classes.  Both categories allow many mods but in any case you should be carefull to stay within those rules or you might end up with a "Time Only" machine.

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 08:26:27 PM »
Quote from: LittleLiner
With all wheel drive you are limited to runnig Maxton's Street Classes or the Production classes.  Both categories allow many mods but in any case you should be carefull to stay within those rules or you might end up with a "Time Only" machine.

Waiting to get the rulebook to do the big mods, right now we are just reconstructing the body.  It will be for the production class due to the speed restriction in the street car classes.

LittleLiner

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 09:38:32 AM »
There are no speed restrictions in the Maxton street classes.  Over 2 dozen of the Street Class records exceed 150mph. The fastest street record is over 189mph.

Of course if you have a street legal car that goes faster than 135mph you need to also have the appropriate safety gear for the speed you run.  An example would be the requirement for a parachute at over 175.  

The speed restrictions come into play for cars without some of the required safety equipment like fire system, cage, etc.  

So with all wheel drive, if you keep the Subaru street legal but make mods that push it out of Production Category, your only choice is the Street Categories.  Just add the required safety items.   An example of something that would disqualify you for production would be adding non-stock body parts like wheel flairs, spoilers and wings.  Another thing that would disqualify you from the Production Category would be running fuel and/or nitrous

Offline Stan Back

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 12:02:27 PM »
Does mixing years' body work make it an altered at Bonneville?  With the dreaded fraction control AWD?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

dwarner

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 12:23:47 PM »
The mixing of body work does not change a Production class car to a Modifed (Altered or Gas Coupe class) car. An F body Camero or Firebird is still an F body for all inclusive years. You can put different year front clips on the same body generation. The addition of fabricated spoilers, air dams, etc will change classes if the other criteria are met, such as engine swap, quickchange, etc.

DW

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 09:30:04 PM »
Quote from: LittleLiner
There are no speed restrictions in the Maxton street classes.  Over 2 dozen of the Street Class records exceed 150mph. The fastest street record is over 189mph.

Of course if you have a street legal car that goes faster than 135mph you need to also have the appropriate safety gear for the speed you run.  An example would be the requirement for a parachute at over 175.  

The speed restrictions come into play for cars without some of the required safety equipment like fire system, cage, etc.  

So with all wheel drive, if you keep the Subaru street legal but make mods that push it out of Production Category, your only choice is the Street Categories.  Just add the required safety items.   An example of something that would disqualify you for production would be adding non-stock body parts like wheel flairs, spoilers and wings.  Another thing that would disqualify you from the Production Category would be running fuel and/or nitrous

It will definately have a chute (actually planning for two).  All the body parts will be Subaru components for the maxton event, maybe some changes for the high-speed run at Bonneville.  The car will be running on straight 93 octane pump fuel, and I am not a big fan of nitrous so we will be staying away from that.  Cage fab starts as soon as I get my rulebook, that is one thing I learned from SCCA, rule book in one hand, tubing in the other. :lol:

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions guys!  It is very helpful and very much appreciated.

deadbolt

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 07:12:16 PM »

Got the refurbished nose fitted this weekend. :D

Offline wolcottjl

LSR Subaru attempt
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 07:08:55 PM »
Quote from: dwarner
The mixing of body work does not change a Production class car to a Modifed (Altered or Gas Coupe class) car.
DW

How about a european car sold in the US with big bumpers - Could you go with the smaller european bumpers for the same car?
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010