Author Topic: Motor cycle kill switches  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Vishnuatepork

Motor cycle kill switches
« on: August 02, 2011, 01:32:17 AM »
I am about to place an order for a pingle kill switch for my bike.

2 Q's,

a) does it matter where on the bars its positioned?  ie: left, center, or roght?
b) the pingle 660 on their website (http://www.pingelonline.com/kill_switches.htm), appears to use a cotter pin.
I see several advantages to a cotter pin vs a key (especially losing the key.... the bike is a daily commuter). I cant tell, and I hope someone with experience can clarify for me, does the cotter pin go through a hole or just around the switch knob shaft?

Cheers
Alan
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Motor cycle kill switches
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:34:08 AM »
Alan, if your bike already has a kill switch, you can just tap into the same line with this Pingle switch. I have not seen this one before. Most riders use a tether that is on the right side so that you can hook the tether onto your sleeve zipper or glove.
There are lots of kill switches. I have used the PMR kill switch which is a normally closed switch that opens when the plug is pulled out (http://pmrcomponents.com/pmrweb2_043.htm).
I don't know what you mean when you say "vs a key." I can't see how using a key for a kill switch would work.
Just locate the wires that run your ignition and splice into that circuit to open it when the tether is pulled out.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 03:23:06 AM »
Don,

Thanks for the link. Nice looking switches! By "key", I mean "plug", I would hate to misplace the plug and be stuck looking for an alternative.  Thats the main reason for choosing the pingle as it looks to use a simple cotter pin.  That and I recall somewhere someone saying that the pingle switches are a known commodity (good quality), unlike the no name ones that can be gotten for $20 on fleabay.  

Cheers
Alan
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:39:53 AM by Vishnuatepork »
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:11:43 AM »
or just go to your local jet ski dealer... most use a switch with 3 contacts, one opens and one closes when pulled so they work for systems requiring an open or a short to ground to kill.  The added plus is they are made to operate in salt water so the live on the salt. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
b) the pingle 660 on their website (http://www.pingelonline.com/kill_switches.htm), appears to use a cotter pin.
I see several advantages to a cotter pin vs a key (especially losing the key.... the bike is a daily commuter). I cant tell, and I hope someone with experience can clarify for me, does the cotter pin go through a hole or just around the switch knob shaft?
Cotter pin goes around shaft. Any cotter pin of the correct size can be used. We zip tie a cotter pin in place for street use. Remove & use cotter pin on teather for track use. This is our choice of switch as we've yet to see a pingel fail. Can't say the same for some of the other less expensive switches. However, Stainless may be on to the best choice for salt racing. ;)
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
I would use the Pingel with the cotter pin (R clip)
The pin is easy to replace if you lose it
and it comes out in just about any direction, so if it all goes pair shaped, the pin come out if you fall off the back of
the bike or go over the bars. The plug type tend to only pull out in one direction.
The other important thing is that the lanyard (curly bit) is strong enough to pull it out and doesn't break if you leave the bike
Also, I seem to recall a rule change somewhere about that

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm