Author Topic: FIA vs SFI Rated Suit  (Read 7451 times)

Offline Fhawk365

• New folks
FIA vs SFI Rated Suit
« on: July 31, 2011, 06:29:25 PM »
I have a FIA 8856-2000 driving suit which should be equal to or better than a SFI 3.2A/5 rated suit.

Since the FIA and SFI rating are equal will I be allowed to use my current driving suit, or should I start shopping for a new one?

This is the link to the suit that I have.  http://new.ompamerica.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=219

Their page says it meets the SFI 3.2A/5 requirement but, it is not tagged as such.  It does however have the FIA tag.

Also the rule book does not specify a SFI rating for nomex underwear? Does this mean that all nomex/carbon X underwear is acceptable?

Thanks for the help,

Joshua

Offline jimmy six

Re: FIA vs SFI Rated Suit
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »
This is just an observation BUT if your suit has NO SFI number you would need proof of what you are saying concerning the rating between SFI and FIA. I would bring the proof in writing from an accredited source. (I would not know one). You would need authorization from the chief inspector and a call to him would be a good start.

As for underwear if APPEARS yours would be legal by what the rulebook states.

Now the bad part, don't plan on going over 174.999. Remember the first paragragh states these specs are the minimum. I wear a 3.2A-20 on a class where the record is 168. Bonneville is not your typical racing venue where safety personel are within seconds. You need to protect yourself whatever speed you are planning with the best available...........Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline interested bystander

Re: FIA vs SFI Rated Suit
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »
JimmySix has passed on another great  tidbit of wisdom.

Landracing does not have a Safety Safari and guardrails close by and many rules are more severe than the Drags , for example.

And do any of you ElMirage/Bonnevile regulars think you can BS something thru the tech guys?
5 mph in pit area (clothed)