Author Topic: SCTA Rules and Tech Sheet Question.  (Read 10993 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: SCTA Rules and Tech Sheet Question.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »
   Well I may have stuck my foot in my mouth.
   As I re-read page one of the rule book, it seems that race officials have the "right" to change regulations at will.
  Given this "act of God", I would encourage us all to jury rig some unknown contraption of unknown specifications or size to cover any and all lines "in the plane of the flywheel" to suit the whim of "whom ever".                              Bob

Yea, we could do that!

....or we could just ask what they want to see, so they feel we will be safe, and then build accordingly.  :wink:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 09:02:56 PM »
  J.D., thank's for the correction.
  It just seems to me that when you call a Safety Manufacturer that if they have a better or "safer" product that they would want to mention it to the customer.  I can't imagine that it would be cheaper, but then who knows?                  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 09:12:32 PM »
  Flatee, To the best of my knowledge, neither Kiwi Steve Davies (the chief car inspector) nor Mike Manghelli (car rules committee chairman) post on this site often (if ever) and are either oblivious to the concern's of the racers or (more likely) don't wish to be openly quoted and therefor held responsible for answers given.
  I have spoken to Mike in the past and he has been open with advice, but I don't wish to pass along second hand information.
  If it wasn't for Dan Warner, who at least has the cajones to give his opinion and knowledge, we would all be in the dark................. :mrgreen: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »
Bob,, as usual, your take on the matter is spot on! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 09:15:55 PM »
  J.D., thank's for the correction.
  It just seems to me that when you call a Safety Manufacturer that if they have a better or "safer" product that they would want to mention it to the customer.  I can't imagine that it would be cheaper, but then who knows?                  Bob

Bob,  is the main difference between the 16.1 vs the 16.5  Belts the web material? Nylon vs Polyester  as Nylon does have more stretch ....

Some Belt MFG's  have a Standard Weight and a Heavy Weight Belt system and others have Nylon as Well as Polyester.... Mine are double heavy weight Polyester...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
Charles ,who's the manufacturer on the belts you have ,the double heavy duty polyester ones?

Tim
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »
Tim,   Safety Solutions made mine.. They have since sold to Simpson and you can get either the Simpson Platinum Belts,, or the ones I prefer Safety Solutions Heavy Polyester 7 point belts...

Call  Aaron Zentgraf at  800-731-4404 

Tell Him Charles Venable told him to HOOK you Up and Hold you in the seat !!
he will know what you mean,,,, go with the forged Cam Buckle too (not latch link)

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 01:17:15 AM »
  Flatee, To the best of my knowledge, neither Kiwi Steve Davies (the chief car inspector) nor Mike Manghelli (car rules committee chairman) post on this site often (if ever) and are either oblivious to the concern's of the racers or (more likely) don't wish to be openly quoted and therefor held responsible for answers given.
  I have spoken to Mike in the past and he has been open with advice, but I don't wish to pass along second hand information.
  If it wasn't for Dan Warner, who at least has the cajones to give his opinion and knowledge, we would all be in the dark................. :mrgreen: :cheers:

I'm a little late on this but I'll speak in Steve and Mike's defense and say that they're not oblivious to racer's concerns and they both stand behind everything they do and say.  Saying that they do otherwise is kind of a chicken shit thing to say IMO but that's neither here nor there.  The SCTA has not, does not, and probably will not use these forums to hold official communications (regarding rules and such) with competitors.  That's stuff that should be handled directly with the appropriate party via email or phone call or in person or at a board meeting or whatever.  Sure these forums are great and I try to have a presence here and answer questions when I can but you're talking about two SCTA officials.  Use the appropriate means of communication and I'm sure you'll find what you seek. 

Anyways, doesn't really matter either way because I think we have a simple solution to a very small problem.  Flattie is most likely (definitely) looking at an old inspection sheet.  Check the year that's printed on the form.  The rule used to state that all oil/fuel/water lines be shielded but it was changed back to fuel only and so was the inspection form.  I verified this for myself today on a current 2011 inspection form; it says FUEL LINES only.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 07:09:38 AM »
Nathan

Thanks for taking the time to clear up the line shielding issue for us.

Ed