Author Topic: Internet broadcast  (Read 112344 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Internet broadcast
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 11:32:50 PM »
  What a coincedence, I believe Lower Sblovovia is near where Slim and Nancy live, just a few minutes up the road from Lake Woebegon, home of the six inch Mosquitoes that all those German's, Scandahovian's, and Slav's make Bratwurst out of................. and Midg, my M.G. buddy will be working on my crew this year.. care to make it two?
                                                Ol' Bob Whatshisname.................  :-D :-D :cheers:
                                            :-D :cheers: :-D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:36:57 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »
I'm stuck in lower lower Sblovovia, just north of the Cheddar Curtain, which was partitioned due to political conflicts on the west bank of Gitchegumee. 

Regional flare-ups continue to this day – especially during football season.

Alas, a geopolitical refugee, stuck in the gulag called Milwaukee, economically deprived of interstate privileges until October.

But I did transport some Sprecher Vienna Amber and a bottle of prohibition era Rye to St. Louis this weekend, so I'm still sticking it to the Federales.

Viva la resistance!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »
October?  :| I thought you were coming to World of Speed. Wayno

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
Ah ha!  Got a lead on a Hachintosh within an easy drive that has been on for weeks at a time in an audio studio, no glitches.  32GB.  See, the gods of speed cast an occasional table scrap my direction, even if a replacement race bike is not in the tea leaves until I finally overcome the dictates and nasty stares of my chronically un-supportive spouse.

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

PatMc

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »
Is there a hotel with Line of Sight to the salt flats that has internet access?

If so, I know of a cheap solution that I've used, if someone has one of the rooms.

5.8ghz directional internet link dishes have a 20 mile legal range.

I think baby ones were $40 each?  The software is built in.  You need two.

I have one for sale that has a 100 mile range, I don't think I'll ever use it again.  $100 + shipping, I thought it was about $200?  It was used one day for testing, and has been indoors ever since.  It is too big for windy areas.

We had no internet at work, so I rigged up a 25mbps system to shoot internet from my home to work and back.  It cost under $200 total.  Probably under $100?  Dunno.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:15:36 PM by PatMc »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 11:56:02 AM »
Team Vesco is providing a WIFI net work on the salt.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 11:58:40 AM »
Thanks, uploading is generally not the problem.  I've a Verizon  4G hotspot that supports 5 devices, plus a 4G and a 3G aircard, either of which will do all week without a glitch.  Trying to keep it all simple and inexpensive.  But, I'll look into it for the future, Thnx.

PatMc

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »
Thanks, uploading is generally not the problem.  I've a Verizon  4G hotspot that supports 5 devices, plus a 4G and a 3G aircard, either of which will do all week without a glitch.  Trying to keep it all simple and inexpensive.  But, I'll look into it for the future, Thnx.

If that is a reply to the 5.8ghz, it's bidirectional and 25mbps both ways.

I ran it for over a year in a mission critical application and it had 100% uptime 24/7.

I doubt I'll ever use the baby dishes again, so I would donate them if I knew they would help LSR.

Dead minimum, they can create hotspots out of the range of WiFi.  ie - People 10 miles from the pits could communicate via internet or LAN.

The "Big Dish" is way overkill.  Not the right tool.  Too big to deal with the wind.  The baby ones are only like 11".  We get winds at home that burst up to 70+ mph, and it still won't knock out the signal.

PS- I'm not network guy.  I know very little about the subject, but it was easy enough that even I could do it with no tech support.  These aren't items that you can buy at Fry's.  They aren't for consumers, they are for ISP's selling internet.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:29:13 PM by PatMc »

PatMc

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
Sorry, I heavily edited both my posts on the subject.  Please re-read the posts if you want high speed internet pumped into a remote area.  It will smoke any WiFi stuff you can buy normally, and 4G isn't even in the same realm.

The 1 meter dish is not useful, only the baby ones.  I mentioned it in case someone likes experimenting with these things.  I'm not really trying to sell anything, but I would not donate it because it won't work in the wind.  AFAIK, it will go 100mbps bidirectional though. 

The baby dishes will stream high definition video (HDTV) without a flicker.  We backed up our server with it.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 12:44:46 PM »
Hey, perhaps we are onto something.  Probably not this year, but there might be a use for it at some point.  I'll talk to a guy out in Washington and see if we can make use of such a monster opportunity.  Then again, if something fun winds up on my workbench, she who claims she must be obeyed may cast a jaundiced eye toward it and me, right on schedule.  Last year she asked, "Where'd that bike come from?"  "Been there for two years," says me, "Behind stuff."  I love "stuf.f"

PatMc

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 01:06:55 PM »
Hey, perhaps we are onto something.  Probably not this year, but there might be a use for it at some point.  I'll talk to a guy out in Washington and see if we can make use of such a monster opportunity.  Then again, if something fun winds up on my workbench, she who claims she must be obeyed may cast a jaundiced eye toward it and me, right on schedule.  Last year she asked, "Where'd that bike come from?"  "Been there for two years," says me, "Behind stuff."  I love "stuf.f"

In theory, I was SUPPOSED to test it at El Mirage, but time and circumstance stopped me.  The idea was to first shoot live hi-def video back to the tower and pit area of the finish line.
Then to experiment with using them to do timing lights (as a backup system) once we get 100% uptime.  Alas, my List of Things to Do doomed that attempt.  I have the pair of baby dishes sitting in the shop.  Our new building has 100mbps service, and it was a prime reason we moved the business.  We produce dimensional measurement data for a living.  99% of our data is now via Internet, and the load is getting bigger each year.  Without it, I'm back to working at McDonald's.

The baby dishes are cheaper than wire, and certainly lighter than wire.  I cannot believe how much wire Bonneville takes, after helping go through the repair/spooling.  A couple tons?  Dunno.  Way more than I imagined.  I know it could be done safely, accurately, and reliably, but like any hotrod project, it's a step by step thing.

The aiming thing isn't as hard as folk think.  All you need is a compass.  The dish will tell you how to fine tune it.  You have to be within 6° of the target for peak signal, but 11° will transmit pretty fast as well.

I used the compass from by smart phone to aim one dish.  Drove home, and did the same, and got 8 mbps right away.

Perhaps step one is to prove it at Elmo this fall.  Bville is the Big Show, not a place to experiment during Speed Week.  I wish I could go this year.  I'm getting the fever again.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:17:55 PM by PatMc »

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »
That's a pretty good price, looks like current on line pricing is around $140-$150

Is it similar to this antenna?  ( HD26058 )

http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/5.8ghzdishantennas.aspx

Larry

PatMc

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 03:12:45 PM »
That's a pretty good price, looks like current on line pricing is around $140-$150

Is it similar to this antenna?  ( HD26058 )

http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/5.8ghzdishantennas.aspx

Larry

One of those is my "Big Dish", don't remember which model.

The ones I used for my 3 mile link (they are rated at 20 IIRC) is http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#nanobridgem as far as I know.  I'd have to look.

Yes, I remember for a fact the brand was Ubiquiti.  The small ones are intended to put on customer houses, the big ones are used to link distant towers in wide network.  There is a third kind which goes from the towers, and spreads out the beam to cover the region your customers live.  I never played with those.  This will work as long range wireless routers, and you can even chain them into repeaters if you don't have line of sight.

To make it really clear, I am not an expert with these.  I just learned enough to do our shop.  They aren't "consumer" products. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:21:50 PM by PatMc »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 06:10:29 PM »

Four things have modified my thoughts on this -

1. Slow on the rebuild this year - I'll blame work.
2. Colder air in October - for a normally aspirated car, I need all the help I can get.
3. I'm not going out without a fully sorted engine - EVER AGAIN - so I'm not going to rush this.
4. The band picked up a gig opening for Southern Culture on the Skids in September, which falls under the "too cool to be real" category.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »

Four things have modified my thoughts on this -

1. Slow on the rebuild this year - I'll blame work.
2. Colder air in October - for a normally aspirated car, I need all the help I can get.
3. I'm not going out without a fully sorted engine - EVER AGAIN - so I'm not going to rush this.
4. The band picked up a gig opening for Southern Culture on the Skids in September, which falls under the "too cool to be real" category.

Congrats! Opening for Scots has got to a trip!