Author Topic: Internet broadcast  (Read 112767 times)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
Re: Internet broadcast
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
I'm running the front line broadcast unit in the garage.  And three cataleptic IBM Thinkpads in the office to monitor output, which are all about a fractions of a second off from each other with the Meridix, so I'm shutting the door on them, it's annoying.  About 9 or 10 tonight I'll switch to the back up broadcast unit and let it run all night. 

Thanks for all the help.  No, really.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2012, 10:45:38 PM »
Max, I think the others here can pretty well give you the impression of how I feel -- finally getting the audio to work this well.  No, I haven't listened yet -- crappy internet here - - but I've wanted audio from the salt for a couple of years, and it looks like this might finally be the time for it.

Thank you very much.  Now - if we only had a couple of sponsors to pay for it all.  Maybe next year. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »
Went silent while swapping out the broadcast units.  Still, our brethren on the bottom of the world over there can check in and tell me if it kept on working while I snored comfortably at the other end of the house.

Darn Slim, it's been a rocky trip, but my last Sunday at the ECTA taught me how to avoid the surprises & going off air.  Of course, I should have driven to Beertown 6 months ago and tugged on Midget's coat for the recipe instead of having him come out of his way to the boar's nest in my garage.  I owe him much.

Anyway, Speedweek will be the proof of the pudding.  I'm planning to do BUB and WoS, unless I come up with that FM transmitter in time, with which I'll plan on Cook's Shootout.

Offline mrdodge

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2012, 01:59:38 AM »
Coming in loud & clear in Hastings, New Zealand. Shame I won't be here to listen coz........I'll be there !!!!!!
If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs....it's quite possible you haven't grasped the situation

Offline dw230

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2012, 03:39:39 AM »
Cook Shootout?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline draglc

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2012, 07:24:22 AM »
hassnt bangshift got live coverage of bonneville...?

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2012, 09:25:14 AM »
Top Speed Shootout.  (The cook shootout takes place in the next county south of me, one of the meth capitals of the world, every week).

Well, I've no idea when the back up computer stopped, might have been during a storm in the wee hours, but the audio system worked fine and the monitoring computers were still delivering, even if it was only silence.

Much appreciated, all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2012, 09:59:20 AM »
hassnt bangshift got live coverage of bonneville...?

Just photo coverage as far as I know

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2012, 11:37:42 AM »
Hmm.  Perhaps they would like to sponsor our webcast, have a few commercials, stop by for an interview.  It's up to Jon & Nancy, their call. 

By the way, to underwrite gas expenses, I may have some refrigerator magnets with the Landracing.com logo for $1 apiece at Slim's trailer.  If they sell, it will cover being out there for every meet.  Not a hard sell, just a trinket for a buck. 

I'm running all day again, going dark when a broadcast computer gets swapped out once in awhile.  We're into the dregs of old computers in the garage.  Also need some new music for background.  I'll dig some up.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
A couple of comments are in order, I guess.  We're driving through the metropolis of Moorehead, Minnesota right here, and I might as well forgo the fine urban scenery and let you see this stuff.
First -- last year Mike and Junior Cook and we talked about the need for some kind of broadcast station offering widespread communications on the salt during the Shootout - so it'd be possible to do a better job of (for instance) making sure the course was clear for a run.  If spectators were told as they leave Land's End that they are required to listen on the FM or AM channel then they'd have a better chance of knowing when they need to park and watch.  We've always had a few difficulties keeping everyone under control.  We - the workers - have 2-way radios, but we need to make sure the spectators know what to do, too.  Cook told us to go ahead and try to buy a small system and run it - he'd be happy.  It wouldn't be to provide "coverage" of the action, although we'd hook it into the CB radio and the announcements from James Rice, but it would do that, too.  Max was on the trail of a couple of possible systems -- small FM transmitter and an antenna and the ancillary equipment needed to offer 12-15 miles of range to make sure the far end of the course heard us form the beginning of it -- and if we put the transmitter at the timing tower it'd be easier still to make it the length of the course.

As far as I know Max never did hook up with a system.  Craig's list, eBay - whatever - nothing yet, dang it, but we aren't done.  Both of us have one sort of FCC license or another, so we'd each know just how many laws we'd be breaking to run it.  Stay tuned is all I can say.

As for the audio from SW and other events - Max is doing the work and I'm helping by trying to pay/pave thje way for him.  We both tried all winter to get a sponsor to pay the estimated $1000 - 1500 it'll cost for him to drive back and forth, run the audio all day long for a handful of events, feed him some M&Ms and Purina Max Chow, etc.  We both tried major businesses - like a brewer or a speed parts company, and many others.  Nothing there, but maybe next year - after we've done it up properly for an entire event and can show not only good listenership but even offer the archived audio of what it sounds like.

In the meantime, if Max says he'll try to recover a few bucks - please consider giving him something.  If you're there, visit him - either in the SSS pit (usually on the front row near registration) or wherever he happens to have taken his rig for a while.  If you're not at the salt in person -- use the lr.com Paypal button(s) and offer up a few $$ so I can compensate him.  I don't think we'll make it like the public TV telethons and give the names of the donors, but we will thank you very much.

That's a long-enough post for now.  Please give it a listen and help us make it better and as good as you want it to be.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

penny

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »
 hello friends from Adelaide Australia, listening now to the broadcast , all good at 9.30 am monday our time . paul penny

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »
Cheers, Paul!

Offline beerbellykelly

• #1980-A/F 1350-AIRCOOLED-TOO COOL FOR SKOOL
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »
good here in london england a few days ago-john lee-and again here a few days later in LA.
GOD BLESS THE HUMMIN' CUMMINS
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline rockstar

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2012, 02:36:48 PM »
working here in sunny warwickshire england,some cool  blues playing on the 4-8-12 test.

David
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2012, 04:12:44 PM »
Thanks, fellows.  Sorry, but during some of the races, that same repetoire of old blues players will again grace the program as background.  I'll avoid classical, bluegrass and all the rest until the iPod is arranged with playlists to send out over the Innerwebs.

Again, we'll be broadcasting whatever the BNI radio station puts on for Speedweek, with opening and closing remarks each day before going live with it.  At other races, same thing.   And, of course, each morning and occasionally during the webcast, we may as for sound checks from anyone actually listening.  But, for those who are sleeping on the other side of the world, we'll be glad to have folks check in and tell us that the archived audio is being heard in other time zones.

If one listens closely to the  blues, the is a sprinkling of Milwaukee's best honky tonk music, by Honky Tonkitis, including a new album in hand.  The Milwaukee Midget advised me the group is releasing a 45 vinyl someday, their "greatest hits."