Author Topic: Internet broadcast  (Read 112349 times)

Offline SabreTooth

Re: Internet broadcast
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2012, 12:13:20 PM »
Penny, thanks for checking in and the kind words.  If it doesn't go well today, I may hang myself from the nearest tree, but since there are none . . .   Cheers!

Moxnix, we really appreciate all that you are doing. The webcast is coming in load and clear and pretty well balanced between radio and CB. The radio isn't quite as clear as some times yesterday but I understand you have a non-ideal setup at the moment to get it to work.

Might I ask what equipment are you looking to put together to realise your ultimate dream webcast set-up? I'm sure there are folks, myself included, that would be happy to help in whatever manner helps best in appreciation of your efforts.

Cheers and thanks again.

Regards,
Jim (at work and listening in)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
Their FM radio mic seems to sometimes need a windscreen, so that's not my department.  However, now that you ask, Mil. Midget and I agreed it's time to say goodbye to sending out via laptops.  A workplace tower with at least 4G running Windows 7 is the next target, set up in a single location, like the workbench in Slim's trailer.  Maybe I can find a matched pair, refurbished off-lease with fresh installs when I get back home.  Single display & keyboard to switch forth and back should one crash. 

I've got a line on a low hour used generator with the "i" in it's model, suitable for running electronics, runs 14 hours on a single tank of gas, covering a day's coverage easily.  Running off an inverter in the car may not be giving the cleanest power.  Slim's trailer is wired for 110, his workbench has room for "the kit."

Other than that, well, I'll remember the rest of the wish list later.  Let's see, did the list include paradise with a salt flats view, true happiness on the half shell, fine company, tolerant listeners, fast cars, the smell of fuel, the roar of exhaust, uh, wait a second, I have that this week.  Never mind.

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
Their FM radio mic seems to sometimes need a windscreen, so that's not my department.  

That's what it sound like. It is pretty clear though and very listenable.

Other than that, well, I'll remember the rest of the wish list later.  

If monetary donations are preferred rather than equipment because that is perhaps best bought by the people putting it together, please advise how that can be best accomplished.

Let's see, did the list include paradise with a salt flats view, true happiness on the half shell, fine company, tolerant listeners, fast cars, the smell of fuel, the roar of exhaust, uh, wait a second, I have that this week.  Never mind.

That's exactly why those sight, smell, feel sensory deprived folks unable to attend appreciate the sound so much. Have fun whilst you can.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:13:52 PM by SabreTooth »

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2012, 12:56:26 PM »
If you donate to this site via paypal and want to make your donation to help with broadcast equipment, just put that in the paypal notes.

Great job on the coverage..

Thanks

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »
     Quick note to let you know coming in loud and clear here on the ridge during lunch break.  Thanks for all the efforts by everyone to make it happen.

Only downer is something only I can fix - have to get back outside on the homework [why I'm here and not there] so I'll have a shot art getting back out there another year.  Will try to check in later, meantime hope everyone stays safe, goes fast, and has fun.

Offline 5154Guzzi

• New folks
    • Team Subtle Crowbar
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2012, 01:17:54 PM »
 You are doing a fantastic job Max ! Thank you for all of your time and effort.  Great feed here in San Diego area, very clean.  The broadcast helps take some of the sting out of the low back injury that kept us from participating this year.

Thanks Again Max,  Landracing paypal donation pending ! 

Bill Ross
 Team Subtle Crowbar
 Valley Center, Ca.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »
And we still haven't left the hospital, but I've received a number of donations for the site and the equipment and all of that -- and I (and Max, too) thank you very much.  We're doing this not just for you folks, although that's a big part of it.  It's been a dream of mine to offer live audio from Bonneville for a bunch of years, and finally -- finally!! - it's working pretty well.  Heck, we're here in the hospital and entertaining the staff with the sounds of racing.  Life is good -- and Nancy's heading back to Wendover as soon as we can get out of here.

Thanks again for the donations, ladies and gentlemen.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2012, 02:31:34 PM »
Max, Jon,

I'll probably need to search the forums for the details but may I inquire what type of internet access are you able to use on the Salt? What sort of bandwidth is required for the Audio streaming? How reliable is the internet access generally?

On the subject of computers, have you considered the use of mini-itx type computers such as FIT PC's or Zotac or other? I'm interested in what the requirements the hardware required are? I assume that for audio only, pretty much any compact home theatre set-top box PC would be sufficient. They would take up a lot less room than a desktop workstation but have disadvantages related to flexibility for add on cards (unless via USB) and of course cost.

Is there a thread explaining the equipment being used / required anywhere?

Apologies, the above comes from my ADHD inner, OK, perhaps outer, nerd.

Cheers,

Jim

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »
Jim, we are open to suggestions!

I"m tapping out replies with my fat fingers on a netbook, will post tonite from a larger keyboard.

Asbergers was my official diagnosis, and believe nerds have the best ideas.

Later,

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »
Another Donation Sent.

Nancy get well soon,

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

penny

« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2012, 06:43:55 PM »
Max ,i couldn't give a rats toss bag about the squeaky door hinge . We out here in australia and world wide are very entertained .

Offline N.F.S.

• need for speed
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2012, 08:04:42 PM »
Coming in loud and clear here in Eastern Maine.Thank to all that help make thi broad cast happen for us who can't be there!!!! :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »
Max is officially in charge of talking about the tech end of the streaming audio.  Well, he and Chris/Milw. Midget.  But certainly not me.  I'm just the idea guy.  We're on the receiving end of bunches of hints, helps, and ideas -- and some donations to upgrade the audio system still further for later events.

I do like seeing all of the comments, from all the racers and folks around the world.  I dropped a note to at least one major (potential) sponsor of the streaming, asking said sponsor to take a listen to the audio and a look at this thread.  All of your feedback will help, I sure hope, prove that there's quite an audience for whatever advertising the sponsor would want to do.  And - speaking of advertising the audio - I've made it clear to all of the potentials that Max and I have approached that they wouldn't get huge amounts of ads and banners and such.  nough for them to justify investing in helping, but not so much that commercials override the racing.  Don't worry -- we're hear for the fast stuff first, second, and third - but if I can convince a firm or someone to pony up the bucks to make the audio more problem-free and easier for us to put together -- I'll do it.  But again - you folks are more important than getting a sponsor to shovel out money.  Keep the priorities straight, you hear? :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »
That was an awesome day of internet coverage.  I listened pretty much all day, as I worked on my own project in the garage.

I should have been taking notes, but I guess I'll just have to wait for the results to be posted in order to see who made it to impound.

Thanks again,

Steve M.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »
It was interesting to get through the day w/o having a coniption fit.

Ran Windows 7 server in heavy air conditioning and made it through the last run.  Woot!

But, upgrading the kit will be our goal, so when YOU come out, I can take breaks and know it's a reliable system in good hands.  G'nite. . .