Author Topic: LSR tire wheel width range  (Read 7221 times)

Offline sethro

• New folks
LSR tire wheel width range
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »
Hi all, I am part of a Boise State club called Greenspeed working on an Chevy S10 running in the DT class with a cummins 5.9l power plant. 

What is the min/max wheel width for the LSR tires (2284 & 2270)?  Goodyear spec's 4.5" and 9", but this makes sourcing viable wheels almost impossible inside our budget.  Once I know the acceptable widths I can find wheels and then choose the appropriate hub. 

The rules state we need to have 1/2" studs minimum making the stock hub/rotor obsolete.  I am looking at either USB stock hubs with 5/8" studs or Howe or Coleman hubs in either a 5x5 or stock 5x4.75 configuration.  Since we are not running front brakes the rotors are of no concern (this year). 

The rules also state that all non-ferrous wheels need .25" thick washers.  Anyone have a good description of this setup? Since all narrow wheels I've found are aluminum.

Oh, and since the 25" LSR's are gone for the year would you recommend 23" or 28" front tires if you had to choose?

Thanks for the help and this forum!

Offline joea

Re: LSR tire wheel width range
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:38:02 PM »
call dave farwell at goodyear..he is the engineer building and testing those tires...

i know for many of the gooyear lsr tires, he recommends plus or minus an inch to the listed
number...

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »
The old mini spare tire wheels are 4.5X15.Speedway,Jegs.Summit and others list race wheels in8&10 X15
for low money. IMO front tire dia. depends on where the scrub radius and ground clearance work out.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 08:39:10 PM »
If you are using an alloy wheel that does not accept a tapered nut (newer style) but an alloy wheel with a shoulder type acorn nut (older style) you need to have a large washer 1/4" thick behind the acorn nut. The acorn nut must be threaded all the way thru and be open on the end. Some inspectors ask you to take off a nut so they can see if the threads are indeed all the way thru.

If you are having difficulty figuring out how to do this you can always add a 1/4" circular plate (about 6" in diameter) on the outside of the first lug nuts and apply stock steel lug nuts bckwards on the the long studs attaching the plate. If I was using newer alloy wheels with tapered nuts I would do what I'm describing.

I have done is on all my wheels. At one time is was mandentory on 18" steel wheels with over 30" tires. (old milk truck rims)  They were famously known for have too large a hole and the 13/16" 1/2" fine nuts would pull thru on a spin; so the additional plates were necessary.......Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 09:35:16 PM »
Good stuff, again J6.

Like Tony Teaman posted somewhere recently.

Build it like it's going to MARS!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:17:41 AM »
I purchased steel wheels from Marsh racing they are reasonably priced delivered quickly and they are familiar with the Bonneville rules. They can make almost any size/ bolt pattern.

Offline jl222

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 01:07:29 AM »
  Sethro...We use 10'' Weld wheels for the 10'' 2222 tire and would use it for the 2270 and 5'' wide for the
2283 frontrunners. 5/8 studs with flange type nut on 10'' wide rim and 1/2 studs with long nut and washer that is recommended to go with 5'' wide rims.

280 mph at the 21/4 and 294 average for 1st timed mile with an indicated speed of 318 mph at the end of
that mile. #222 Camaro.

JL222
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:13:32 AM by jl222 »