Author Topic: The Last Race at Maxton  (Read 19556 times)

Offline javajoe79

Re: The Last Race at Maxton
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2011, 10:05:45 AM »
  I think that given the surface condition at Maxton and the fact that that course has bends in it, all of which add up to a track that is not the easiest place to lay down a real fast pass, let alone get one stopped, records set at Maxton are more significant then records set on a smooth, clean, straight surface like Texas or Wilmington maybe. That is my opinion but I feel as if most people think the same way.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 10:53:40 AM »
I'm with you Joe, I was sitting here thinking (keeps me from doing anything strenuous) exactly the same thing. Maxton is so different that records set there are probably more difficult to set than anywhere but Bonneville.
Lets just retire those and start anew.
Bob

It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 10:59:53 AM »
I find it quite intresting how this thread has morphed into a discussion of records and modifications of how to transition  to a new facility.  Amy and I have both members of the ECTA for 3 yrs. and not the Maxton racing association.We are finishing up a car to be competitive in the ECTA even though there are only two races left at Maxton. We agree with Stan in that the ECTA should solidify its self as keeper of the standing mile / one mile LSR records. All venues change, the salt is not the same every year and if "salt flats racing " was moved to another salt flat it would still be salt flats racing. If the ECTA should find its self at a facility that is 1.5 mi. or better it does not mean that the ECTA HAS to run 1.5mi. Achievements made by those who run the standing mile are impressive and shouldn't be over shadowed by the venue. my 1.5 cents worth. PS, We'll see the ECTA folks where ever we end up. :-)
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
Good points made by everyone.  I say close the books.  Just to many variables, and we certainly are not the NHRA.  Who knows if it will be just one facility the ECTA goes to.  Could be a mile, could be 1.5 miles.  I think we need to have a positive confirmation on where the ECTA runs next before any other discussion is even relative.  Just my thoughts.

My thoughts exactly.

Ed

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »
As to 1.5 or 1 mile events. Why not have two sets of lights? Then you could still do mile speeds at the same time as 1.5. 

I do also think the ECTA should be the official keeper of the standing mile records and I think if we make the move to Wilmington and it is as nice as I hear it is, the ECTA could attract alot more of the supercars running in texas, assuming they buck up and make their cars pass tech.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
The course and surface conditions at Bonneville are not the same two years in a row.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
The course and surface conditions at Bonneville are not the same two years in a row.

We're not talking about Bonneville, are we?

Having run at Maxton and Loring, the differences are IMMENSE. Even setting up a set of lights @ the 1 mile
mark @ Loring would be drastically different than the 1 mile mark @ Maxton. Different tracks, different challenges.

Would you compare the 1.3 miles of El Mirage to 1.3 miles anywhere else? Probably not. Maxton's racing surface
is a challenging piece of concrete, and no other track is comparable. Track material being the same does not make
each track the same. Maxton's 1/8 mile dogleg, "the bump", etc. are storied pieces of this track.

As for the NHRA comparison, there is no comparison. The NHRA has much stricter rules about track consistency
than most LSR venues. Track prep being the main contender. A racer at Maxton may run 5 minutes ahead of a
"class competitor" and experience a 10 mph tail-wind, with the next racer experiencing a cross- or head-wind.

I think anyone who actively races with the ECTA would agree.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »
That's pretty much what I said as each venue is different. The records are for it only. New track, new records with everyone running under the same conditions to get a record.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »
Each venue is unique and holds its own records ... I agree with Glen ...

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2011, 09:25:38 PM »
Each venue is unique and holds its own records ... I agree with Glen ...

I agree 100% as well...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline DanMay1776

• P/PV-250/4 1954 BMW R25/3
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »
Dan, I don't know why 'big' would dominate..maybe I am reading it wrong.
Bob

Bob, the way the points work is you get 50 points for starting a run, 50 points for finishing, and 2 times each MPH over the existing record.  So if you run 100 MPH in an open record (zero), you will get 50+50+2*100 or 300 points.  If you run 200 MPH in an open record, you get 50+50+2*200 or 500 points.  So the faster bikes/cars will always get more points if everyone is running on open records.

One way to normalize this would be to have minimums (or existing records) as the base for points calculations.  Then instead of awarding points equal to two times the MPH over existing records, it would be 2 times the percentage increase in the MPH over the records.  So for example, going 105 on a 100 MPH record would give you 2 * 5 points (5%), the same as going 210 on a 200 MPH record.

Points calculations could be separate from records.

Anyway, I will let those who have been doing this a lot longer than me make the decisions.  I was simply making an observation, having assumed the records would carry over.

Daniel

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 12:11:34 AM »
This is turning into a very interesting thread indeed. I agree with those that think that ECTA should step up to the plate and become the keeper of the 1 mile records. I realize that there is a lot of history with the track at Maxton. As well I am building a car with the 1 mile course in mind, recent health issues have slowed my build down but hopefully I can still make one run with the new car at Maxton. If not I will tow my old Supra up for October. In the future I will go where ECTA goes, and hopefully many of our current competitors will follow.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2011, 03:32:28 AM »
The open record is zero. The open record has no speed at all so it is nothing. So 50 points to start 50 points to finish then it is 2 X nothing .Nothing is zero So 100 mph run on an open record is 50+50+(2x0)=100 points . The biggest problem I see wth the points race is competing with open records. But that only takes a couple years to fix.
This may lead to sand bagging the first run .I don't see this as a problem since everyone can run on your sand bagged run next month .With a new record book everyone will be tied for first place in the first month. So I don't know
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:08:35 AM by racer x »
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2011, 06:36:11 AM »
The points race seems to go full circle.  It hasn't been the fastest bikes winning the points since I have been at Maxton.  Look at the points this year.  All of the large bore records are still being broken, but they have curent records associated with them.  The small bore and side car records that are still open are where the big points getters are.  I'm not complaining at all about it.  Running a 650 and 1000 class bike I don't chace points.  It would be useless.  We just strive to be as fast as we can each pass.  Now back to the new venue.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2011, 07:17:52 AM »
I dont understand the big interest in the points system deal. The points system has been manipulated in the past by a few enterprising individuals. Simply find a class that is not hotly pursued and set a record as low as you can and tack on a couple of tenths each run. Do this at all 5 meets a year and you will be the points champion.