Author Topic: The Last Race at Maxton  (Read 19551 times)

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
Re: The Last Race at Maxton
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 06:41:17 AM »
Mike, Charles, I think that is the high probability choice and a fine one. This might need a separate thread. The longest/oldest ECTA member, the member holding the most records, the member who set the most records, Greg Neal's Raffle idea, a group procession---lots of choices available. It's not so much that we leave, it's how we leave.
Totally correct.  It is about the family leaving the old home for a new one.  Think of the adventures ahead. 
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline DanMay1776

• P/PV-250/4 1954 BMW R25/3
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »
Our plan is to run until 6pm Saturday and from 8 til 2 Sunday. Last chance to get a spot in the record books. All records will be sealed at 2pm on Sunday...as in History...for ever. All records will be open at the next venue.

So at the new venue all records are set back to zero ?  Any minimums ?  We are just getting to a point where there are only a few open records. With all open records at the new venue, the big bikes (and cars) will surely dominate points for the next few years.

Dan

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 04:16:40 PM »
Dan, I don't know why 'big' would dominate..maybe I am reading it wrong.
Bob
It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Why dont we wait for another venue to be in place before we worry about points system. This could take awhile.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »
for those that are interested -

wilmingtonmile.com

bf

bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 12:03:50 AM »

Should Maxton close Make all of the minimum record speeds the same as the current records at Maxton..also perhaps re-address the minimum speeds for records on any open classes should there still be any left..if the record is 150 mph at Maxton make it the same at the next venue as long as it is the same track...after all setting the record in the 3000cc APS-BF class at 190 mph when the record should be over 240-250+ mph..that record should mean something and be deserved for something other than attendance and an entry fee.

Before the East Coast racers or others take exception to my post..if I had the records in F, E, D, C, B, A ..at nearly the same MPH I would not take my racing program very seriously however I would be proud of the littering of the record book for whatever racing organization I was in and for my team or sponsors.

Hopefully the track can remain and the racers can continue making and setting history in North Carolina, I have raced there and got in the two club in a few passes and have raced since..great time, great people and Keith, Joe, Donna Really made me feel welcome and put on a great event every time I was there from California.

Noonan

Offline entropy

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 03:27:55 AM »
John,
Having just participated in the Texas Mile moving from Goliad to Beeville, i have to disagree with bringing records/minimum speeds from one venue to another.  IMO each asphalt track has it's own challenges and should have it's own records.

It seems that "littering the record book" is a consequence of allowing running up in class?????

Perhaps i don't completely understand what you are proposing??
Karl

Should Maxton close Make all of the minimum record speeds the same as the current records at Maxton..also perhaps re-address the minimum speeds for records on any open classes should there still be any left..if the record is 150 mph at Maxton make it the same at the next venue as long as it is the same track...after all setting the record in the 3000cc APS-BF class at 190 mph when the record should be over 240-250+ mph..that record should mean something and be deserved for something other than attendance and an entry fee.

Before the East Coast racers or others take exception to my post..if I had the records in F, E, D, C, B, A ..at nearly the same MPH I would not take my racing program very seriously however I would be proud of the littering of the record book for whatever racing organization I was in and for my team or sponsors.

Hopefully the track can remain and the racers can continue making and setting history in North Carolina, I have raced there and got in the two club in a few passes and have raced since..great time, great people and Keith, Joe, Donna Really made me feel welcome and put on a great event every time I was there from California.

Noonan

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
 I don't like the idea of taking the records from one track to another. I am in favor of closing the book and starting over. The points race is something that is meant to be as fair as possible. It is a difficult thing to make rules that allow two hundred plus mile an hour bikes compete with sub one hundred mile an hour bikes.
 I am sure there is a way but I have spent years thinking about it . I cant come up with a better plan.. Minimums are OK but have problems .Limiting open records to one hundred points will cause problems.

Closing one book and opening another is a rare chance to make up a new system that is better .Without hurting anyone that raced before Since we are stating a new record book.There are a lot of smart people around. This is a chance to get it right.I think it is worth the effort.

I am looking forward to the  party on Saturday. But Sunday the last race at Maxton will be VERY SAD.  :cry:
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 03:06:10 PM »
I'm a relative newcomer to all this but I feel like I've been around long enough to have earned an opinion.

I agree - let's start over.  One of the records to be retired will likely be mine (unless someone bumps it in the next two meets) and I'm OK with that.  New place, new era, new book, new records.  I'm not wild about minimums either.  Seems like that will sort itself out in due time.  If someone sets a soft record someone else will come along and firm it up, as it should be. 

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline dickj

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »
Donna T. or Tonya T.  should know the answer to the Million dollar question of "Who made the first  pass @ Maxton.,,,,,, To keep it interesting if that person is at the last meet they should,, get the honor of the last pass.   If they are not then, it would be fun as a raffle.   :-D

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »
Records set at any venue(course) are that venues records. To transfer them to another venue that will have totally different conditions, course surface, Etc. They are historical and should remain as such. Where ever the ECTA ends up is a new start and everyone is on a equal bases to be the first record holder and something for others to chase. And Keith could get another 200 mph hat.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »
Keith has boxes full of 200 Club hats - and he doesn't even wear hats!  He COULD give me one, but NOOOoooo.  It's the only way I'd ever get one, for sure.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2011, 06:48:20 PM »
I disagree, Glen.  ECTA should take this opportunity to establish itself as the keeper of the one-mile pavement LSR records, wherever they are set.  NHRA has national records and you can set a national record at any one of their sanctioned strips.

ECTA may run in the future at one or another location.  They should carry their records over and establish them as national pavement one-mile records.  They should adopt minimums for remaining open records and use El Mirage rules as their guidelines for the points championship including minimums.  They could still allow running up in class as long as the competitor surpassed the existing or minimum record.

I believe that SCTA made a mistake by establishing separate Muroc records.  Yes, they were at a different distance, but on a very similar course.  And all the Muroc records, since dropped from the SCTA Rule Book, were never set under much competition.  ECTA has a chance to now to not allow the same thing to happen to them.

They can still have the wide variety of competitors that they enjoy now,with much of the same options, but tighten up their organization.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
Stan, you have every right to your opinion. I just hope they can find a location and long term rental to run for years.  :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2011, 06:41:56 AM »
Good points made by everyone.  I say close the books.  Just to many variables, and we certainly are not the NHRA.  Who knows if it will be just one facility the ECTA goes to.  Could be a mile, could be 1.5 miles.  I think we need to have a positive confirmation on where the ECTA runs next before any other discussion is even relative.  Just my thoughts.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.