Author Topic: Avanti Kid selling his 1963 Avanti Bonneville car  (Read 14214 times)

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
Avanti Kid selling his 1963 Avanti Bonneville car
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:23:21 PM »
Well guys, after 18 years of Land Speed racing at Muroc, El Mirage and Bonneville I will be selling my Avanti that I bought new from the factory in May of 1963. I promised my wife that our racing at "Speed Week" in a few weeks will end my racing career. My car still holds records at Muroc, El Mirage and Bonneville in the D/CPS racing class and this race coming up we are going after the D/CBGC record of 209.236 mph, last year we raced in that class at the "World of Speed" race and did 215.633 mph, but could not back it up the next morning, we damaged the engine when the turbo exhaust melted a large hole in our lower radiator hose, thus lost all the water in engine and radiator and still went with no water from the 3 1/2 mile point to the 4 mile, then shut down, but too late, cracked the head in 5 places and two exhaust seats came out, so could not back up run, but at "Speed Week" we are ready to go after the record again.  I will let folks know at Speed Week that this is a "turn key race car" for sell that holds all the current records in its class and has gone 215.633 with no handling problems. The engine is a Studebaker 289 ci, single turbo (800+hp), custom roller cam; roller rockers, modified to 4 bolt mains; 10,000 rpm clutch, Ford 9" 2:47 ratio, Airflow Perfomance mechanical fuel injection, Weldon electric fuel pump, Arias Forged Pistons, Carrillo connecting rods, forged crank shaft, incanell exhaust valves, dry sump four stage oil system, water to air intercooler, 750 lbs of ballast. etc, selling price $60k, includes 42 ft goose neck enclosed trailer. If interested come and see us in the pits at the 3 mile point of the 5 mile long course. Thanks Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline aircap

Re: Avanti Kid selling his 1963 Avanti Bonneville car
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:51:25 PM »
Wish I had the bucks to buy your legendary racer, Dave!
Good luck.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:09:48 AM »
Thanks Aircap, I'll have to wait and see what the Lord had planned for my car!! :-(
Canyon Country, CA

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »
Well, we are ready for our last race at Bonneville, after 18 years of land speed racing at Muroc, El Mirage & Bonneville I am retiring.  The 1963 Avanti I bought new will be sold or donated to the Studebaker car Museum in South Bend, Indiana. When I look back at my career in this sport its really been great, I've really enjoyed the challenge of top end racing and especially enjoyed all the great people in this sport, that includes my friends in the SCTA that put the races on.  We still hold all the records for D/CPS (Bonneville, Muroc, El Mirage) and this year we are going after the record in D/CBGC of 209.3mph, so Speed Week will be very exciting for my racing team, we are starting the race with my co-driver Mike Benbennick driving, then if he get the record, then my brother Al Bloomberg (Pantera kid) will up the record, then after he ups the record I will drive the car to see what the top end is for the Studebaker 289ci single turbo engine is??? I hear the salt is smooth so top speed and a safe race looks promising. I'm looking forward to seeing my racing friends again and especially my streamliner friends/racers going over 400+mph!! Take care and everyone and go over your race vehicle safety list twice!! take care, Dave  :cheers:
Canyon Country, CA

Offline sabat

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:38:06 PM »
Beautiful car, good luck with sale  :cheers:

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:47:41 PM »
Sabat, thank you for those kind words about my car, and thanks for posting pictures of my car racing at El Mirage, if your going to Speed Week be sure to stop by and say hi, we also have some neat "Avanti Kid Racing team" T-Shirts for sale for $20, in regards to selling my car or donating it to the musuem, I'm leaning more towards giving it to the musem, take care, Dave
Canyon Country, CA

Offline Papi

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 02:23:58 PM »
I love watching your Avanti run. What a great legend you have built with that car.
Good luck at SW, and may she run with all her mite one more time!   :cheers:
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline bak189

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
Donation?.....get a appraisal and get that wonderfull tax right off.....................................................
Question authority.....always

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »
Any one on the salt who knows Stan Back send him to the Avanti Kid pit and pick up a T Shirt.

Large for IB's brother Steve!!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:16 PM »
Back is back -- too late!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »
Nice to meet you and your crew A.K. :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »
Stan Back had so much fun just getting there that he blew the rear wheels and tires off of the grocery getter sedan.

He has added AAA towing to his Christmas card list. He returned home earlier than his wife was expecting and shortened

her "relaxation time" considerably. It's impossible to finger him out.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
Stan Back had so much fun just getting there that he blew the rear wheels and tires off of the grocery getter sedan.

He has added AAA towing to his Christmas card list. He returned home earlier than his wife was expecting and shortened

her "relaxation time" considerably. It's impossible to finger him out.

FREUD

Yeah, he had what I would call the most expensive spare tire/s ever!

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »
IB would it have been OK for me to represent you by saying I was Stan Back?

Then I could have purchased a shirt for brother Steve (sic) even if all they had left were child's small.

I'm already home but maybe I can go to California and have them print an XL that could be cut down

to a Large.

Willing to help when it's not even possible.

I'm beginning to get even with you for that striped pants foto that you posted of me so long ago.

FREUD
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:08:22 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »
Stan Back & Freud, I still have 5 medium and 4 large T-shirts for $20 each plus $2 shipping if you need some, if so you can e-mail me at "avantikid@earthlink.net" we had fun selling them at Speed Week, sure wish we could have got the D/CBGC record, but we couldn't back up the run. Next I hope to take the car to the Musuem in June. Heres some info on what happened to us! ouch!
 Folks, here is the info on the race at Bonneville in August 2011.

by Dave Bloomberg ยป Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:16 pm
Sorry I'm late in getting into what happened at Speed Week, but been real tired, got back late Friday night after a 14 hour trip home, first of all I want to thank Sonny for this fantastic web site, which has helped all of us racers so much with information and just letting us know what the Studebaker racing world is up to.
Getting to the racing status, the first day (Saturday) Mike Benbennick drove the Avanti as planned for just 3 miles, at the 2 1/4 mile point he was at 209.424mph, (record was 209.3) but at the 2 1/2 mile point auto shut down ocurred because the lower radiator hose came off and the engine got above 220 degrees, so he coasted thru the 3 mile point too slow for a qualifying record, then the next run after we repaired the radiator hose and intalled water, he ran a 157.853 mph, so we thought it was a bad tune up, but the plugs looked great, (later we found that the clutch was slipping, thus the low top speed), then the next day we got in line again and we pushed him off from the push truck, but he didn't move away from us, so it was a turn out and no run, when we got to the pit we found the 10,000 rpm clutch was totally gone,(darn) so with Lou help from Avanti Magazine he contacted Jon Meyer for a clutch and throw out bearing, and Mike Benbennick got a hold of 10,000 rpm company in Lancaster, California for a over night delivery, on the next day the clutch and flywheel arrived OK, the the flywheel was standard Studebaker and my flywheel was modified with larger/stronger bolts so Jon Meyers didn't fit , so we cleaned up my original flywheel and had to install the ring gear that came off during the end of the last run, my nephew Kurt welded it back on to my flywheel, we then installed the new throw out bearing and new clutch, trans, drive line then jacked up the rear wheels to see if we can go thru all the gear OK, that was good, then we went out again to race did 199.596 mph, (had to adjust new clutch, was slipping a little), then next day 202.822 mph at 3 mile, then later that same day we decided to go 4 miles for the first time and did 203.962 mph (later in the pits we found that both these last two runs were on only 7 clyinders, we found the #4 clyinder exhaust valve seat came loose and damaged the piston and valves) so when this was found , we knew we were done, even though on 7 clyinders, if we had gone 5 mile instead of 4 miles we could have qualified for a record attempt the next morning, but we had no way of knowing about the engine failure, so that ends our racing and we are looking forward to taking the car to the Studebaker Musuem next June if they want it, then my wife and I can visit with my drag racing friends in the mid west who I have spoken to and e-mailed but never had a chance to meet them, so even though my racing career is over I never regreted a minute of it , it sure was a great thrill and fun for 18 years, I sure will miss it! But now with my wife Barbara we want to start a new chapter in our life in travelling this great nation, in closing I really want to thank my heros, Ron Hall and Jim Lange for all the help and advice over these years, before Ron passed on he always gave me great advice over the phone, and Jim designed a very powerfull Studebaker engine for me to race, I also want to thank Mike Benbennick, (my co-driver) and Mike Pakucko (crew chief) for all their help, without them I could not have ever raced at Muroc, El Mirage or Bonneville, so I hope to see a lot of you at the Avanti organizations 50th in June, then go to deliver my Avanti to the Studebaker Musuem. God Bless you all, Dave Bloomberg (Avanti Kid)

Original owner of 1963 Avanti, race my Avanti at Bonneville, Muroc Dry lake & El Mirage, presently hold world records for D/CPS at Bonneville, Muroc & El Mirage race courses. Top speed for car was 215.633 mph
In 2006 became member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club.
Canyon Country, CA