Author Topic: diesel or gas?  (Read 3654 times)

Offline russ jensen

diesel or gas?
« on: February 13, 2006, 05:58:27 PM »
8) According to jack d "spark iginition is just what it is and compression iginition is diesel"  The first tall blk chev I built had 14-1 and 240 dur @ 50 lift which resulted in 285 lb cranking pressure= tuning nightmare.. however once this eng ran hot laps and was good and warm it would start & run without a coil. {found this out one night   while taking comp test while coil was off car being cked}. Now {maybe this should be rules ?} would this eng be able to run in diesel class??? Could start up & warm on spark and hand coil or wires off before run. after a bunch of these old IH diesels started on gas until warmed up then switched to diesel.  This would be a truly high speed diesel eng, also could use stand off tubes and glow plugs if the spark start got outlawed.  What say you all out there?????p.s. don't have a current rule book but ones i have don't mention what type fuel diesel must run.
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline }{ead$hot Zod

• http://FriedDiesel.blogspot.com
diesel or gas?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 03:18:59 PM »
wow..... now there's a doosie of a question. I don't know how they would class it. My guess it would have to start on "event diesel". If you could do that you may have a point. The devil is in the details.

When cars that run on gas and when shut off keep running its called "dieseling" :)
1992 Dodge D250 Cummins running biodiesel and waste vegetable oil.

#284 ?/DT

"I don't do use drugs but my truck does"
->Stage III Meth injector.

http://FriedDiesel.blogspot.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Big CAT V8 on alcohol:
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 08:17:07 PM »
I was watching the Super Stock tractor pulls today and one guy had built his puller with a big CAT V8 diesel, and was running it on alcohol. I am sure that he did not add spark plugs. Typical deal, 3 turbos in series, 100 lbs of manifold boost and a claimed 5000 hps! I guess with enough compression you can make anything ignite. Wonder how the fuel pumps like alcohol? At least diesel has some lubricity.

Rex

You can take the boy of the farm but you can't get the cow sh-t off his shoes.
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline russ jensen

cat v-8
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 12:02:11 AM »
:lol: I did't see show but think you are refering to silver bullet out of n missouri. he runs plugs, billet al hemi heads, but has bearing trouble.3208 is 640 in which is limit now. Guy I built 640 perkins stoped & talked ,if I rember he also uses al rods, the perkins customer passed on alcy when I made billet heads / rods/ pistons cus he wanted his smoke, now sees how much nasteyer      that it could have been . I wanted to feed it with 2  8-71 detroits instead of whissle, also.

Offline russ jensen

perky 640
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 12:30:23 AM »
:lol: Just an add on to last post , 640 perkins is built a lot like 426 hemi w/cross bolted mains & deep blk but  mains are a little short for a diesel, When I was doing this one thought it would make a nice diesel streamliner eng, but this one has been pulled for 10 years and is about shot. side note: made a set of lt wt wristpins out of s-7 and the al bronze bushings have put a lot of wear on the pin whereas there is no wear from piston.{H beam 4140 rods}

Offline russ jensen

diesel or gas?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 10:49:02 PM »
:lol: locals just got back from louieville, not only silver bullet switched to alcy several ih and a 903 cumalong with a nice set of al hemi heads. diesel can't compete so switch.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Russ, thanks for the post!!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 08:33:19 PM »
Russ,
Good to hear from someone that is involved. So they make their own almunimum heads!? To trick! With a 100 lbs of boost it probably takes a disesel block and crank to keep every thing together. What do they do for the head to block seal?? At the combustion pressures they see it must be something interesting.

Thanks again for the great info.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline russ jensen

HEAD-BLK SEAL
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 01:18:28 AM »
:lol: on the ones I have been involved with the head gasket is there to seal h2o only a "O" ring  usually about .080 is used to seal comp. On 640 perkins with the al heads I made{billet 6061 t6} we used the IH "O" rings from al deck plate to block and glued deck plate to head with locktite 324. Only h20 in top 1/2 " of blk rest filled w/ foundry epoxy, least it blows out cyl. perkins customer was here today and had pics of big deer} that lifted the cyls off crankcase{ blew up hood when it went}He saw it happen but pics were off net? one of puller sites. supision that this one {disel} maybe had a snoot full of laughing gas or nitro benzene. of course thats  illegal but whats a little cheating amoung friends. IH I made pistons for thought they didn't need to fill block, split cyl from top to bottom{kind of like when you overload a hyd jack} even blew the rad hoses, imagine that. Perkins guy talked to canadian who brought 903[sleved down to 640 to be legal] he was  a a young fellow, made his own al hemi heads etc. He hasn't got his tuning down yet but looks like it will be a nasty one.