Author Topic: Norm Thatcher - Information  (Read 25649 times)

Offline Hyfire

• New folks
Norm Thatcher - Information
« on: July 18, 2011, 07:55:11 PM »

Hello guys,

I bought the Norm Thatcher car that was listed in the for sale section and I was trying to get some history on Norm.

Anyone know anything about Norm or any family members?  I understand it has been a while since he raced, but I appreciate any leads I can get.  I feel a lot of urgency in getting as much documented as possible, sadly the older guys are getting fewer and fewer.

I am also looking for his past crew members.  Some of the names I found are:

1.) Bill LaRoy  (of Palmdale, CA)
 2.) Doug Lovegrove
 3.) Virgil Parsons

I appreciate ANYTHING you guys can help me with!

Best Regards,
  Josh

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Norm Thatcher - Information
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
  There were several articles on Norm and his car's in HOT ROD Mag circa 59-64.          Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Hyfire

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:12:01 PM »
  Hi Bob,

Thank you Sir!  I have a couple and I've got a few more on order!  They're full of really good photos, but most are very specific to the car being covered (and not really much about Norm).  It seems this 1958 car was the first in a long line of winning cars, but being first means less coverage before it set a record.  I have been able to glean a little personal info from these HRM articles, but I'm hoping for more.

I know he also ran El Mirage and had some kind of history at Daytona.

Thanks again for your post!

Josh

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:18:56 PM by Hyfire »

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:25:23 PM »
     You might also look for Danny LaRoy who I believe was Bill's younger brother. In the 60's Danny was a line mechanic at San Fernando Valley Motors, the Dodge dealer in the city of San Fernando. Norm Thatcher was known for returning his race cars to stock configuration and selling them as used cars. He was also reputed to be a Friend of Walter Chrysler Jr.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Hyfire

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 04:49:20 PM »

Thank you for the lead.  I contacted located a Danny LaRoy in Nevada and called.  Sadly, his widow had told me both him and Bill have passed away.  I am attempting to see if Bill has any surviving family members who may know anything about this.

I am very curious to hear anything you know!  I know this car was returned to "stock" and sold in 1959. It was placed in a newspaper ad in the LA area.  What is amazing is that Chrysler specially built 2 of these.  One for setting records at Daytona and one for Bonneville.  Due to the AMA racing ban, they built these 2 special cars with custom high performance engines,  factory deleted accessories, custom 2.5"  low-pressure exhaust, manual transmissions and a few other special parts.  They couldn't support racing, so they custom built these two cars and funneled them to the right people.  The drivers were aloud to tweak the orders with a few personalized options.  For example this Bonneville car was ordered with a manual radio and manual antenna.  All other items were factory deleted.  The Daytona car was ordered with a heater which they probably needed back east.

I appreciate it jdincau!  If you can either post any more info, or shoot me a PM I would appreciate it! 

Anyone else know anything about Norm OR this car?  Or have any leads or suggestions?

Thanks,
   Josh

Offline Hyfire

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 08:54:49 PM »
heck out jalopyjournal.com,,,a thread about "Bonneville barn find"  may be what your looking for.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 08:59:20 PM »
 :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D   OOOOOOppppsss!  Checked back,,,,,,that's you!  Sorry!!!
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Salt_Fever

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:00:36 PM »
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:03:32 PM by Salt_Fever »
- Salt_Fever

Robin UK

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 07:53:22 PM »
Have you tried Richard Parks, editor of the Society of Land Speed Racing Historians Newsletter

Rnparks1@juno.com

Robin

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »
I'm beginning to think he's looking for selling points -- but I always think the worst of folks.  Seen him on the HAMB, too.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Hyfire

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:44:23 PM »
Have you tried Richard Parks, editor of the Society of Land Speed Racing Historians Newsletter
Rnparks1@juno.com
Robin

Hi Robin...  Thank you!  I think someone submitted it to him already, but I will double check.  THANK YOU for the suggestion!

Josh

P.S.  Stan....  not looking to sell, I just bought it.  It's a keeper!  I have found that if I try every possible source I can turn up a lot of history.  The more eyes the better.  I can't imagine someone wouldn't try to collect history if they thought it was out there.     

Offline jvonbyroni

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 07:47:26 AM »
[/b]
Norm was a brief friend of mine in 1964, when he was helping my friend
 Doug Lovegrove prepare his 1964 Beleveder for the drag nationals. My father was a used car salesman for Mashak Motors in Van Nuys ,California  and Norm Thactcher was "dougs Mentor who helped Doug prep his aluminum Belveders hardtop with a stage three 426 Max Wedge for the nationals comming up. I was honered to meet norm at a garage in Van Nuys where Mr Thatcher told me of his Bonniville experences. I was just a 18 years sailor home for the weekend, but loved my 57 Plymouth Belveder and anyone who liked a Chrysler product. All my friends had either a Chevy or A Ford, Not me I went the way of Chrysler, so after meeting "Mr Chrysler" as I was told by Doug Lovegrove, I was absolutly honored by his presence.
 Doug went on to be in the AFX championship finals that year(1964) with Norms help.
 He ( Norm,) made me feel like I was part of the Chrysler family as I am still to this day, and like I tell my friends,
 Chrysler products were like the " Maytag Repairman,) a lonely breed as I worked for Chrysler for many years as a line mechanic, and I made little money as they "just did'nt break.
 I have had some nice ones in my lifetime,
a 1957 Beleveder 2 dr hardtop
 a 1958 Fury Golden Comando, 350ci, dual quad,
 a 1959 Belvedere 2 dr hardtop,
 a 1964 Sport Fury 383 wedge , 4speed- what a sweet ride,
 and still have three Chrysler Dodges in my family cars to this day.
 Hell, the make the best American car,
 they don't break and go fast.
 Jon Byron Reno Nevada
USN 1961-1965

Offline Rawrianna

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 04:24:20 AM »
Doug Lovegrove is my grandfather. You can ask me any question, no promises that I will actually be able to answer all of them!

Offline DND

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
Norm's shop was on the alley east of Van Nuys Blvd and i would drive by and take a peek at his cars, and remember seeing one with a 6-71 blower sticking out of the hood with a hilborn injector and scoop.

Don