Author Topic: strut front suspension  (Read 7969 times)

Offline gordon tarbell

• New folks
strut front suspension
« on: July 17, 2011, 01:31:02 PM »
Are the aftermarket strut front suspensions (as used in NHRA door cars) suitable for a 53' Stude at B'ville. I was looking at using this type of front susp. to open up the engine bay area. Also anyone use any of the chassis kits from Alston to build their cars. They are just down the road and an old freind works there.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: strut front suspension
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »
Suitable is up to you. Legal yes, as is the answer about the Alston kit. Go to the build diaries.

If you've never been to an LSR event it might be a good idea before you start building a car.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jl222

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »

Getting ready for Bville '' build diary''

We have a complete Alston chassis with 4 link at the time, Alston tack welded the chassis together and
Pro-Chassis our car builder had a certified aircraft welder finish the welds.

Gail Banks used a Lamb chassis and Lamb struts on his record setting 268MPH firebird in 1987.
 Don Stringfellow drove it and said it was up in the high 280's when they had problems. His son Donny knows more of the correct story I believe.

I wanted to use Lamb struts but Pro-chassis was concerned about the weight of the Hemi engine-front mounted blowers and gas tank, so we went with a Stock Car Products wishbone setup. Had to modify the frame a lot though.

I would talk to Alston about the struts.

JL222

Offline gordon tarbell

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:07:01 PM »
Thanks guys, I am looking through the build diaries and getting ideas. I was hoping to make it out to the salt in Aug. but now I have a work schedule conflict. It has been 2 yrs since I was there taking notes. I wanted to go several times before I start on the actual car. Got the engine parts slowly coming to geather now. Stude 6 fh to start with then build my stude V8's

Offline jl222

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:32:59 PM »

Getting ready for Bville '' build diary''

We have a complete Alston chassis with 4 link, at that time, Alston tack welded the chassis together and
Pro-Chassis, our car builder had a certified aircraft welder finish the welds.

Gail Banks used a Lamb chassis and Lamb struts on his record setting 268MPH firebird in 1987.
 Don Stringfellow drove it and said it was up in the high 280's when they had problems. His son Donny knows more of the correct story I believe.

I wanted to use Lamb struts but Pro-chassis was concerned about the weight of the Hemi engine-front mounted blowers and gas tank, so we went with a Stock Car Products wishbone setup. Had to modify the frame a lot though.

I would talk to Alston about the struts.

JL222

Just adding a few corrections :-P

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:36:48 PM by jl222 »

Offline krusty

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »
The ex- Terry Hunt "Guam Bomb" Stude now run by Loose Screw Racing, the current record holder in E/CGALT and both E and D CFALT, runs a strut front suspension. Engine is SBC for weight figuring purposes; has run 235 mph.      vic

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »
The ex- Terry Hunt "Guam Bomb" Stude now run by Loose Screw Racing, the current record holder in E/CGALT and both E and D CFALT, runs a strut front suspension. Engine is SBC for weight figuring purposes; has run 235 mph.      vic

With lots of engine set back.   :-)

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »
An early Ford straight axle works good and has been under a lot of them..........Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline gordon tarbell

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 09:35:26 PM »
How about a good source for proper set up of the straight axle. Or is solid but adjustable the way to go. Rubber mounted for a little give? I like the Idea of KISS .  I had forgotten all about straight axles. Hmmm!

Offline gordon tarbell

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 09:38:50 PM »
I guess the Ford axle would be the best as far a parts availability on the aftermarket. I will get out the tape measure and start looking at track width on these.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »
I had the heaviest tube axle bent up by a Sprint car chassis builder. Got the width and drop I wanted and used Ecoline spindles. Newer and better than old Ford I think. Was not expensive.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 02:17:22 AM »
I had the heaviest tube axle bent up by a Sprint car chassis builder. Got the width and drop I wanted and used Ecoline spindles. Newer and better than old Ford I think. Was not expensive.

Ours wasn't really cheap but it's better to be able to design the details in than have to work around them I reckon... Ours is 1/4" wall CDS tube....decide on the spindles you want to use and then dial in the drop and castor...
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.