Author Topic: 311 MPH on a sit-on bike  (Read 58650 times)

Offline osti

Re: 311 MPH on a sit-on bike
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »
Congratulations!!!! What a fantastic accomplishment! I could not be happier for Bill, Larry, Walt, and everyone else involved (I’m sure I missed a bunch of people).

Bill, you deserve it buddy. I know you work your tail off on this stuff. Nobody in the sport works harder or puts in more hours than you do. It shows in your success.

I’m glad my dad and I were there to see it in person. It’s not every day you get to see history happen right in front of you.

Ryan

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2011, 09:45:14 PM »

Walt - you are too modest ... you had a lot to do with putting this together ...

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2011, 11:23:17 PM »
There are not $200k worth of parts on his bike.  I know.  I got them for him.

Any $200k figure would come frome the labor @$70 an hour for someone to work 90 hours a week for 10 months to fabricate, wire, think, route, re-route, re-re-route stuff, think some more, dyno tune, learn how to program multiple electronics systems, fabricate fairings from raw fiberglass mats and jars of resin, sweat, get hurt, and not give up no matter how hopeless things look we we had the inevitable delays.......all done by Bill himself, with a little help from his engine builder, Steve "The Wizard" Knecum, and Bill's welder, Weimer Mechanical.  And a lot of strategy from a land speed legend, Larry Forstall.

Bill is not a wealthy individual by any means, and has sacrificed more than I care to say to achieve this.

Allthough I am not knocking anyone who can afford to, God bless them, (I wish I was one), this was not a wealthy person that went out and bought a bike.  And no one "gave" him parts without a slow progression of proving we had a program that would get results for our sponsors, that would result in pulicity for their fine parts, and that would help them move more product out the door.  In other words, we work just as hard at promoting the best parts in the world on the fastest bike in the world to make sure they get a return on their investment.  That comes from our hard work.  Its not a gift.  It's an investment they make in their company that we deliver on by working hard.

Walt

Walt well said, Bill and his team you included did the unthinkable, to me it is more of a milestone than when Kenny Bernstein ran the first 300 mph pass in a drag race.  Everyone new the 300 drag race barrier would be reached however it was Kenny that did it first..a great milestone in drag racing was reached.

Now here comes Bill on his second race bike that as far as I know never made a full pass or exceeded 250 mph on the previous event at Maxton or on the Saturday at Loring and runs through the timing at nearly 312 MPH!  Yes he has a lot of money and great parts invested however also remember that he made the commitment to be the first to 300 and achieved it in great fashion!

He has so much time, effort, heart and soul invested and the result speaks for itself!

I spoke with Bill while he was driving home and won't repeat some his situations he has been through however nobody is more deserving than Mr. Bill "Fishman" Warner..

Congrats To Bill, Larry, Steve, Walt his friends and sponsors.

John

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2011, 01:01:01 AM »
A question from a slow guy.  The Banger Maine newspaper article mentioned there was barely enough room to get the bike stopped and the shutdown was very dramatic.  Are you fast folks going to use chutes? 

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2011, 01:07:25 AM »
A question from a slow guy.  The Banger Maine newspaper article mentioned there was barely enough room to get the bike stopped and the shutdown was very dramatic.  Are you fast folks going to use chutes? 

Only fast folk is Bill, his personal email is myebalsrbigrthanyers@311+.com

Offline Cole222

• Recluse Holster
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2011, 01:23:54 AM »
Mr. Bill...Congratulations!
And Gods speed as you ride as fast as your Angles can fly.
More to come we are sure to see.......................
TLCole
"Form and function are the opposite sides of the same coin." R Reagan

Offline TURBO KING

« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2011, 01:47:09 AM »
Lol, thanks John.

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard P, DaveO, Rick S

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2011, 07:36:42 AM »
Congrats to Bill, but also congrats to the people and companies who built the bike. Judging by the number of stickers and the bike specs (that I can guess at), that is a $200,000 bike. He told me his "street bike" - the 273 mph one - cost $90,000. How can we compete with that?

It really is true "Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?"

The LTA is very proud of Bill, the accomplishment, and his entire team.  I generally bite my tongue on the forum but in this instance, I can not.  I assume that the question of "How can we compete with that" was rhetorical, but I will answer it.

1) First and foremost, be a complete gentleman that EVERYONE believes in.
2) Take several years of your life.
3) Progress through speeds and records in a manner which shows you are a complete professional that is completely dedicated.
4) Get a tuner or a parts supplier to come to you and say, "Your the kind of guy (I mean as a person) that we want to align our company with; would you be interested in a little help next year?"
5) Prove yourself at every meet for several years and finally have a reputation and a pedigree that you can take to sponsors.
6) Work for months and months and months and months for hours and hours and hours and hours seven days a week.
7) Shut down your business because it is interfering with your 100 hour a week hobby.
8 ) Drive from Florida straight through to upstate New York in a truck that might not make the trip because cash is so tight you know that your mom won't charge you for the night's stay.
9) Go CRUSH the world record and make history.
10) Stand at the line to be presented your 300 hat and say how nervous you are because there are so many people around.

$200,000 or $2,000,000 can't buy that.  

When I look back over my life, there are possible 10 events that are indelibly cast in my mind.  The first space shuttle launch; a couple of births and a couple of deaths, etc. I carry those events to mark points and people to remind me that there is always a greater good and a better person in all of us.  I hope that everyone present at the 2011 Maine event can say to their grand children that they were there when the first man went 300 on a bike.   And that the memory of Bill's humility and dedication can help all of us be more like him, a class act.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:39:15 AM by blackslax »
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline tedgram

« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2011, 07:51:21 AM »
 Well said!!

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2011, 09:49:01 AM »
That 311 pass could not have happened to a more deserving person.  Bill has always taken time to try and answer questions I may have and compliment us on the success we have had.  Watching Bill get faster and faster, then that amazing run on Sunday is truely one of, if not the most amazing things I have ever seen in racing.  And I have been doing some form of motorcycle racing for 38 years. 
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline Papi

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »
Geezus, reading some of the comments are just silly.

#1.  Bill did it. No one else. Congrats Bill,  :cheers:

#2.  For you whiners, get over it. Bill was the first to break the 300. Now we all have to work a little harder.

I'm super proud I'm alive to see someone do it. It's a spectacular moment in Motorcycle LSR History
and Mr. Bill will forever be known as the first.

Another huge congrats to Bill and all involved in the success at being the first!!  :cheers: :cheers:
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline TURBO KING

« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2011, 07:05:34 PM »
Well said Tim and John

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard P, DaveO, Rick S

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2011, 01:06:17 AM »
We might have something to complain about if Bill's was a factory effort.  Instead, his approach and method is just like most us do it, or try to do it.

Offline N.F.S.

• need for speed
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2011, 01:28:16 AM »
Just watch this :-o .... http://youtu.be/kV-TzPTtauE

Offline tedgram

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2011, 07:34:50 AM »
 Nice!!