Author Topic: 311 MPH on a sit-on bike  (Read 58653 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: 311 MPH on a sit-on bike
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
 Bill Warner launching on "the run".

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
Would this be a good time for the WLSRF (World Land Speed Records Federation) to maintain a speed record list acknowledging and consolidating records on "man made" surfaces under a criteria that includes these types of events around the country?  I suspect the New Mexico Spaceport, being a boondoggle, will be available for runs on their 2 mile track eventually, since the only jobs it created so far is maintenance and janitorial. 
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »
Bill went 273, officially, last year at LTA 2010. The engine broke somewhere before the traps, he costed through at 273. His on-board GPS showed 283 top speed, so considering the acceleration, he might've been close to 300 last year if it had held together.
Obviously this takes guts, but also consider his patience in waiting until Sunday morning due to crosswinds that are a lot more important at 300 than under 200.
Bill Warner, a very admirable gentleman.
Bob W

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2011, 11:42:29 AM »
Puleeeeze bring it to the salt !

Offline JR529

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
He must have built in some sort of cut out or depression at the rear of the tank to allow room for his enormous balls.

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »
Another Congrat's for a outstanding run!
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline Got-Busa?

• New folks
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2011, 12:21:49 PM »
Congrats Bill!  8-)

Offline Ninelivess

• New folks
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2011, 12:35:19 PM »
Congratulations Bill

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2011, 03:03:42 PM »
Absolutely STUNNING!!! and as mtkawboy says: "Please bring it to the salt"!!! Love to see it go through the 5 mile.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Warp12

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2011, 03:08:49 PM »
Just a note, this is not the bike that ran 278@Texas and 273@Loring. That is referred to as the "street bike". :-)

This is the new and improved "race bike".  :-D

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »
everybody wants to see what he can do in the mile..... not me..... I wanna see what this boy can do in the 2 mile.... anybody know a stretch of concrete 2 miles long? A big congrats to Bill and his crew!!!
Kent

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »
Congrats to Bill and the team.  In all my years of racing, from MX, Flat Track, Roadracing and now LSR.  That was the most amazing thing I ever witnessed. 
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »
Congratulations!
One bad Motorcycle.
One Helleve ride.........next?.
Ray C Wheeler

Offline Freud

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »
Matt Guzzetta can probably remember when Don Vesco ran the record that exceeded 500kph.  As I remember it was 314.000+

His displacement was around 2000cc, the Lightening Bolt, and that was THE RECORD.

Now a sit on scooter is just a blink away from that speed.

Vesco was on fire each run but Bill was on fire from the moment he saw his timing slip.

Congratulations Bill.

FREUD
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:18:38 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2011, 12:50:47 AM »
There is always a story in the background.

The bike had just been painted by Molly....all spiffy and purdy.

He called me and told me he needed fotos of the record run because Sports Illustrated skewered him on his first 314+ record and they

told him if he used any fotos in an advertisement, they would blow the whistle on him because they knew he had no one there doing

still fotos. He called me and said he needed fotos and could I be there "tomorrow?" In those days it was a matter of walk into the airport,

but a ticket and fly and that included a case for a $1000 tripod at no extra airline charges.  I was there the next morning and I told him

Motorcyclist Magazine wanted a shot for the cover of the next issue. The only problem was that after he had called me he dropped

it and skinned the right side. So the left was to only side to shoot and that pointed the wrong way for the cover. I shot the left side, jumped

into the car, drove to SLC and sent the film to them using a cabin attendant as the courier. I sent Dale Boller, the editor of

Motorcyclist her name and he met her at LAX. 4 hours after I did the fotos on the salt the film was in the lab. The next day the cover

was designed. We didn't get the entire cover. They put some long limbed doll on a 50cc scooter above us. She was the insurance policy

in case I didn't get the film to them.

The next day Don ran two passes. Both were in the 314 MPH speed for the mile. The fractions were not the same but the whole numbers

were. Don was satisfied because Kawasaki received their desired number and a scuffed paint job  didn't matter.

Oh ya...... on fire?  At the end of the first pass, from Floating Mountain toward the highway, there was a fire between the engines. Don

stepped out and found the leaking oil was soaking the header wrapping. He re-wrapped as much of it as he could, turned to me and said,

"Freud meet me at the 7 mile marker. Here's a fire bottle. It will be on fire when I stop. Just kill it before I even get out."  Marlo

Treit was with me. That made it lovely. He could extinguish the fire and I could do the fotos. Don took care of the new record and

stuffed it to Sports Illustrated. He also stopped 20 feet before the 7 mile marker. Marlo took care of the fire.

Remember, he ran 314 MPH and the motorcycling world was astonished.

Bill did it on his own and didn't even have a fire to put out. It was just about 35 years after Don's run.

But...he did create a fire storm with that number.

I made all of that up except the part about Bill's speed.

Find your copy of Motorcyclist Magazine with the lady on the 50 cc bike on the cover and nail me to the

abandoned telephone poles that had the Pyrex insulators.

FREUD
Since '63