Author Topic: Jo Coddington's Spin On You Tube  (Read 22399 times)

Offline JGMagoo

Jo Coddington's Spin On You Tube
« on: September 08, 2007, 01:03:44 PM »
Jo Coddington's spin is on You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO2mxdzIkF0&mode=related&search

I don't see much that looks like braking. Narrow miss for the timing slip tent!

JG Magoo
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Jo Coddington's Spin On You Tube
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:15:48 PM »
Stunt man ?  :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »
As this spin was happening I was calling it and making sure the time slip people and those getting their time slips were aware of it. Bob Sykes Jr. was there and the roadster came within 50 feet of his truck. She is a rookie driver with little seat time. The thing is was the distance it spun, like 2000 feet. Had she got on the chute at the start of the spin it would have probably stopped before it crossed the return road. It pays to be alert and have the CB radio on at all times.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline power58

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:50:24 PM »
Great stuff. I watched a little of the build on Sat Aug 11. Boyd has some operation. The other you tube stuff was a riot. The  Blue Bear skit was priceless. 
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 02:40:55 PM »
Any video of their landscaping demonstration that followed the spin ?
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 03:41:08 PM »
I watched as she started spinning and then grabbed my binoculars and got her in view just as Mr. Barret was warning those at the timing booth. It was a scary site watching her cross the course and turn out area Backwards .....

I read elsewhere that the Coddingtons are blaming it on a brake failure ....... personally I think it started out as Salt vs Roadster and then her inexperience came into play.

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 04:08:51 PM »
Slowed down pretty quick at the end.

I guess "brake failure" explains why both chutes didn't come out.
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
That level of skill would have taken out a number of people at El Mirage and is the reason that women get such a bad rap when they are put into a situation that is (cute) over their head.
Given the experience , they have all the skills but, it is rare for them to get the suitable experience with a vehicle that fits the operator.  :x
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 05:21:35 PM »
If someone drove never on snow....and hates snow.....as she said......you better stay away from salt....

I was also a witness.......the spin......alright, could be happened......but the end of the story has nothing to do with inexperience....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 12:22:37 PM »
This is a must see video for all that think they are kept too far from the course to get good pictures.  The 1/4 mile goes by real fast when you are not in controll of your vehicle  :|  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JGMagoo

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 01:52:52 PM »
One of the 'supposedly' most accomplished and skillful hot rod builders of all time can't make a pair of drum brakes work???

JG
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Offline power58

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 01:58:49 PM »
My thoughts exactly. Didn't Dwayne check every nut and bolt ?   Hmmmm.
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 02:34:16 PM »
I watched the video a few times but being a 2 wheel pilot I'm kind of lost in the "what should have been done & when".

I get some of the basics and know you can't pull the chute when you're going backwards and all... but I'm wondering if someone would be willing to kind of explain to me, theoretically, what should have been done & when.
Some day I may try this with four wheels so I would like to understand it better as the opportunities present themselves.

I'm cool driving in snow when there's not other things around to hit although I've never been in an uncontrollable spin. Just some fun slides. :evil:

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to write it in public. I'm not trying to rip apart what this racer did or didn't do, just trying to learn a little something along the way.
Thanks!
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 03:24:57 PM »
I'll throw in my take after watching it slowly a few times.

One, she could have easily pulled the chute after the first spin. Plenty of time to do it but the car sort of straightened out so she THOUGHT it was probably over. (Lack of experience)  It wasn't and normally isn't; the ones I have seen straighten out then spin again just like she did.

Two, if you watch closely as she crosses the return road backwards the front tires APPEAR not to turn either way so the only way it could spin is to hit the brakes or have them hold since she is going slower. These rear brakes are now FRONT brakes and when hitting them with no REAR brakes will make it spin again. She probably did this because she saw people just missing them in her mind.

I have no idea how fast she was going but this shows what seat time will do. People with $$$ normally don't need seat time as they are above all that. It's like my dad told me about doctors who are pilots. They make the worst ones are are involved in more accidents; just don't have the time to learn or listen.

Sorry if your a doctor..................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 03:36:21 PM »
The chute's primary function is to slow you down. The secondary function is to yank it back straight and slow you down when you spin. This isn't NASCAR where you work the spin and try and get it back straight. On the salt when it starts to go, its gone. I heard Don Vesco was "quick with the laundry" and that's a good thing. If it starts to go the run is over any way.

But this is where experience kicks in and you are always AHEAD of what's going on. If you are reacting to the situation, it's too late.

There didn't appear to be anything other than reaction tinged with a large dose of panic in that spin. There is no excuse for brake failure, if that's what happened. I don't think they failed. It looks like at the end, after passing the cars, that the brakes were used for the first time. Scary.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.