Author Topic: Help the new guy build a LSR Honda CB550f!  (Read 11009 times)

Offline kerncountykid

• New folks
Help the new guy build a LSR Honda CB550f!
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:54:56 AM »
I'll do a quick introduction since this is my first post. I feel like Axl Rose getting off the bus in Welcome to the Jungle, green as can be. I'm going to need y'alls help and experience to make this project a reality. I thought my decent wrenching skills would translate to an easy build, but I've been stalking the forum a little while now and realize building a racer and street bike are two very different animals. There's not much engineering involved in putting a stock bike back together.

Ok, real quick. Knew nothing about cars, grew up in a house full of women. Inherited this truck years after my dad passed and the first wrench I ever turned was rebuilding that 396, often below freezing in a tin can of a shop. Shocked me and everyone I knew that I was pretty decent at it and picked up a CB550 to wrench on at home. Rebuilt it completely and rode it cross country, twice. Lived in a tent all over the south west. The salt flats were my mecca and when I hit them I was hooked.

Picked up a second bike to build to go race. Built a few more and sold them to pay for the race bike.

The hotrod:

Cross country (been to a TON of national parks!):

(CC BLOG) http://kerncountykid.blogspot.com/

Salt Flats:

Salt bike:

Bikes I've built to pay the bills/fund Salt project:

other bikes....
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cannonball-Reds-Cycle/103884469646088

Parts I've picked up for salt bike, Kimtabs & straight through Yoshi repro pipe

Shop I'll be working out of. Back room of the house, girlfriend is very understanding  :-D:

Soooooo anyways, please check back often as I will be picking y'alls brains every day until I leave for the salt, hopefully in time for the BUB. I'll throw a few out now...

I can't bore up too much, 590cc's is what I'm looking at and compression even with the bigger bore stays about the same, 9:1 I think. Am I just trying to flow as much air through this motor as possible? I can shoehorn 750 carbs w/ stacks on, a CB650 cam for a bump in lift/duration, and do an aggressive port/polish with 1mm over intake's. With high compression pistons not being available should I consider other means of raising the compression ratio, ie custom gasket/decked head?

Talk to me like a total newb, because I am one. If opinions are like buttholes; everyone has one, well then I want to hear your buttholes  :-D :-D

Offline bak189

Re: Help the new guy build a LSR Honda CB550f!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:01:58 PM »
Paint or clear laquer the Kimtabs....salt will eat the Mag..................................................................

PS. Kimtabs will break....I have broken a few (sidecar Moto X)....but should be OK. for straight-line racing...
Question authority.....always

Offline bak189

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
Also as a follow up on the Kimtabs....use Lock-Tite to hold the bearings in.........................................

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »
Kid,
I am not a "bike" guy but I think that you are really pi$$ing in the wind using a CB550 to race. Pretty old technology and you are going to be running in the 750 class that is dominated by late model rice burner water cooled fours that probably make twice the hp stock as your bored CB550 will every make regardless of what you do to it. If you just want to say "I ran at Bonneville" then the CB550 is probably the least expensive way to go but if you want to be competitive start with a late model 750. You may consider doing an engine swap of a late water cooled 750 four into your CB frame. Low mileage complete  750 engine "kits" can be bought on E Bay for around $1000. Once you have the Bonneville bug just running there quickly turns into "I want a record" and then let the spending begin.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:23:32 PM »
If u told your kid brother not to touch the red hot burner on the stove and he still did it

this may be a similar situation. Both will learn after they do their own way.

It may hurt for a while but.........

Don't let logic get in the way of dreams.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline kerncountykid

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »
What about building the best machine for yourself at a particular time in your life? I know these bikes very well and I enjoy working on them. I don't know anything about modern sport bikes and don't especially like working dual cam motors. I want to have fun and push what experience I do have as far as I can and feel like I wrung as much out of one of these little 550's as possible right when I was getting good and working on them.

Come on guys, we can't all have the biggest weener in the room.

and as for "old technology", how you fellas doing on Munro's 1k cc record?  :-D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:51:41 PM by kerncountykid »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 02:46:15 PM »
Hey, Axl (I know it's not your name - but I didn't see one in your post or avatar section so thought I'd give you one) - welcome to the Forum.  You've already received your initial battering - although in this case it wasn't bashing as much as folks looking at what they think is the long-term result of starting out fresh at Bville.  Your idea of running what you know and like is right along with the Bonneville tradition -- and their comments about you sooner or later wanting a record are right in line with tradition, too.

I see I've got another word or two to put into the curse-word filter.  Ah, life is so rough.

Welcome to the KernCounty Kid - and have fun.  No matter what hassles you've got in the last day --= hang around here and you'll have all the help that you ask for.  Maybe more -- but for sure all that you want. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kerncountykid

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 02:54:37 PM »
thanks Jon. My name is Trevor, btw. Considering Axl's downward spiral into fatness/dreadlocks I'm not sure I like the association  :-D

and I edited out that tame curse  :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 03:03:44 PM »
I'll give you props, KCK - there is definitely something to working with yestertech, especially a combination you're familiar with and committed to.  Let's face it, most competitors gave up on the Ford Flathead years ago.  Those who haven't are among the most creative builders on the salt.

While you may not grab a record, you can likely make yourself an authority on wringing the most out of the combination you've got.  That information will serve you well come the day you decide that you DO have the biggest d*#k in the room, and you want to prove it.

Make that five fitty fly.

PS Cross country twice on a bike that small?  I'd be in traction after those trips.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline bak189

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »
Hey, I did not pick on him......I like his bike............got one........runs great........................................

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
Wonder who all encouraged or tried to discourage Burt Monroe?
John

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 05:01:23 PM »
Which ones of us were born before Burt and lived in NZ?

Anyone ever ask his wife?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline kerncountykid

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 06:08:38 PM »
So where should I be focusing my energy on this little motor? Anyone care to give me a rundown on where I want this bike to make power and how best to feed it at that RPM?

there are known options
Electronic ignition is available
some weight savings (only running one kimtab, up front sans disc brake, kick only, etc)
1mm os intakes
750 carbs will fit
650 cam is a direct drop, performance equal to a webcams mild 550 grind

what else should I be considering, and should I avoid any of the above as unnecessary?

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »
I'm an old rookie looking to have a build ready for this year..............Several 550 builders on the sohc4.ent site should provide more info on getting peak torque out of that motor. If you are running in the modified 650 class........do all you can to get your head down low and your hands, knees, and feet tucked in. Deck, shave, high-compression pistons and all will help but don't go too high on the piston profile..........keep the flow. Think about the air intake to get stable air versus a possible drag or vacuum at speed..........its a wide motor but think narrow.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »
Welcome Trev/Kid/Axel,
you've got just the make-up for this place.Self taught with determination and tunnel vision are perfect attributes for landspeed. There's no shortage of people running basically stock period correct stuff because they want to see how fast they can make it go. The high end of this sport is a little expensive for most of us to get involved in.

Plenty of experience and advice here, plenty of light hearted ribbing too.

There aren't many people who haven't been told "you're wasting your time with that............, you should just buy a............, ha ha why are you racing that?"

There's nothing surer than you'll find like-minded knuckleheads in this sport and if you love the salt you're a goner. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.