Landracing Forum Home
November 23, 2017, 03:18:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 166   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 428189 times)
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« on: March 13, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »

The Lack of a fast car, Al's lakester Betsy, and Ack's MC Liner have inspired our latest efforts that will be another ugly BETTY Lakester. This effort will mostly be round, this time made out of a bomb bay ferry tank from a F105-B  more affectionately called the THUD!!!!!!!!!--

My wife Linda is firmly convinced that INSANITY PREVAILS and RULES within the demented brain cavity of momma Smith's oldest baby girl Bill's skull.

The welding jig is back in the shop,  The old water cooled band saw has been resurrected by John and I, the old drill press has been converted to a tubing notcher by Joey Diagneault with a pipe vice provided by John, the scrounged chop saw now works thanks to John McKnight.  I finally found some one that could roll me to 30" i/2 hoops that we welded together.  We are off like a heard of turttles in persuit of our Salt fix
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:13:46 PM by SPARKY » Logged

Miss LIBERTY,  changing TKI  to noise, dust and RUST!!!

The # 1 issue is: TO KEEP THE REPUBLIC      
   Center for Self Governance            tncsg.org     mrspowell.org

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller
Seldom Seen Slim
Administrator

Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:16:05 PM »

Great name, Sparky.  We used to have a cat named Thud.  She got the name by weighing 13 or 14 pounds and jumping off the furniture.  When she'd hit the floor there'd be a big "thud" -- and from that came her name.  I hope your new car hits big numbers -- not the floor.  Thanks for starting a build diary, and best wishes for the entire project - and the gang building it.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com
38flattie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:29:18 PM »

Sparky, it sounds like fun!

Isn't it hard building a car you think is ugly?!

Maybe you should think of it as 'aesthetically challenged'. cheers

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Stainless1
Administrator

Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele Wichita, Kansas

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:19:19 PM »

The Lack of a fast car, Al's lakester Betsy, and Ack's MC Liner have inspired our latest efforts that will be another ugly BETTY Lakester. This effort will mostly be round, this time made out of a bomb bay ferry tank from a F105-B  more affectionately called the THUD!!!!!!!!!--

My wife Linda is firmly convinced that INSANITY PREVAILS and RULES within the demented brain cavity of momma Smith's oldest baby girl Bill's skull.

Bill... is there something we should know?  rolleyes

Why the 30 inch hoops?  Using them to mount the body to the frame?  And we all know there are no ugly 300 MPH cars... sometimes fast ain't pretty

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, MSA Bockscar Lakester with a little N20 
MSA Bockscar Lakester #1000 my fastest mile 245 and change, 84 ci turbobusa motor... but Corey's 233 MPH H/BFL record is still 3MPH faster than mine.
Skip Pipes

I hate being bipolar, its awesome!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »

SPARKY is a very clever guy and I thought the “Rat” looked beautiful at 300 MPH.

No doubt “THUD ugly” will be brilliantly modest, simple and beautiful, beyond 300MPH.

Skip Pipes

Skip " the Goose Hunter "
WE FEAR NO FOWL
desotoman

Modified Roadster

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:21:15 PM »

Sparky,

Just curious, why a second Lakester?

Tom G.

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers. As a young boy I was always taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. It suggests that the quest for knowledge includes failure, and that just because one person may know less than others they should not be afraid to ask rather than pretend they already know. In many cases multiple people may not know but are too afraid to ask the "stupid question"; the one who asks the question may in fact be doing a service to those around them.
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »

Tom,

Two reasons on top of the fact that I sold the RATICAL:
 # 1 a LAKESTER is a heck of a lot simpler to deal with than a dual eng LINER 
# 2 I want to see if my UGLY ideas CAN compete with Seth's BEAUTIFUL ONES  tongue

I think I have two things in mind, no 3:
# 1 get the aero cleaned up a bunch
# 2 CLEAN the AERO up a BUNCH
# 3 if all else fails try to throw some more HP at it  grin

SS#1  The 30" hoops are very slightly smaller that this WEIRD tank I have and they will give me the most flexiabilty in working the frame in the eng. bay and Around the exhaust system!!!  at leat I HOPE it will!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:52:44 PM by SPARKY » Logged

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller
Bville701

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 12:05:40 AM »

Sparky,

I can't wait to see what " Ratical" idea you have come up with. Are you looking to be a contender for the first lakester to reach the 400 MPH mark?   shocked

Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:11:23 AM »

Mike,

I haven't thought much about that.  I have pondered the requirements enough to know I don't have the Resources to properly do that.  I am more intrested in NA where the HP is some what limited and I can approach it from of the Hot Rodders traditional approach instead of Hard Core Top Fuel type components.

I have been lucky enough to find some others who suffer from our type of Salt love and would enjoy finding other KINDRED souls who are intrested in our addiction. Some where down the line if some one wanted to be an engine partner I might be intrested.  But it would take new Engines, trannies, rear ends and a WING!!! grin

mkilger

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »

Thats funny, we are building a new body for the GOT SALT lakester  as we speak hoping to clean it up a bit for that 315 record
bvillercr

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »

Thats funny, we are building a new body for the GOT SALT lakester  as we speak hoping to clean it up a bit for that 315 record

Have they thought about getting the butterflies in the air more?

bearingburner

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 02:42:10 PM »

Why not have two lakesters ? Think how much faster you could go for broke or is it go broke faster.
I know one is about I can handle and that has taken 10 years.
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »

I sold Ratical  so I am presently without a "Ride-for-the-FIX" hence the new car.

mkilger

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 11:16:09 AM »

ya we got the butterflies getting alot more air  with the new body than before wink
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:25:37 PM by SPARKY » Logged
Rex Schimmer

Only time and money prevent completion!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »

Sparky,
How about a picture of your tank so we can see what your starting point is.

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 166   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: